Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2018, 08:02 PM   #141
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bransonchris@msn.com View Post
This is my first time RVing while dry camping. I purchased two additional batteries for my 2018 Thor Chateau 31y. Aside from using the generator, how do I run the electric systems directly from my batteries?
On your 31Y, everything will run from the batteries except the A/C and Microwave (and of course anything else you plug into a 110v outlet yourself...)
Your fridge runs on 12v (control panel) and propane (cooling) when set to 'gas' mode (or auto if 110v isn't present).
Beyond that you would need to add an inverter. The size needed and connection options depend on what you want to run...

The duration you will be able to go depends on total watts consumed and your battery capacity (you said you added two - so that helps a lot.)
Microwaves, hair dryers, some coffee makers would be 'high draw' appliances driving a larger inverter. A/C would not be feasible (start your genny to run that...)
Your battery will need to deliver about 10x the AMPS that the device normally draws from 110v...

10A @ 110V = 1100 Watts
92A @ 12v = 1100 Watts
Needs some large wiring - and close proximity between batteries and inverter as you get larger.

I carry a small inverter with me - but rarely use it... I've added two 12v fans, converted all interior lighting to LED, added a 12v TV in bedroom, have 12v adapter for laptop, 12v to USB for charging phones, etc - and can boondock for a weekend on my two batteries. It all depends on what works for you!

2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #142

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I agree about the frameless windows. I prefer the old style that provides a lot more airflow through the coach. The screens on the frameless windows are also a pain. I don't know why they went with this frameless design. I guess people like they way they look.

I have found that if you open the roof vent over the cab and run the vent fan in the bedroom, it provides a nice airflow through the coach. I wouldn't bother with modifying the rear emergency window since the ceiling vent fan in the bedroom probably works just as well.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:33 AM   #143

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
The frameless windows suck...

The passenger’s side window over the couch moves all over the place going down the road.

We use two box fans to move air around.

mac ‘im going to try to get to the scratch and dent ac place next week’ gyvr
Old 05-30-2018, 12:51 AM   #144

Model: LF31
State: New York
THOR #11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Congrats on the rig! Sounds like you have figured out what fits you & the family, good for you. I/we too have been moving "stuff" from the old RV to the new(to us) WS31 Quantum and adding accessories. I wired a brake notification light into the brake pigtail for our wheels down toad. I didn't like the thought of drilling into the dash, so drilled the coin tray for the 1/4" led light. I didn't see the two butt connectors on mine that you have. While I was in there I wired an El' Cheapo outside thermometer/clock/system voltage device. I velcro'ed it just above the coin tray. We like to know the time/temp at a glance when moving down the road. Also, mounted a bike rack & brush style gravel gaurd to help protect the front of the toad.
Oh, our coach batteries are under the step also. There was just enough heighth clearance to install 2, 6v Interstate deep cycle batteries. Like yours the factory 12v units were toast. We will be heading out this wkend with the grand daughters for their annual vacation trip. The new RV is a "surprise" to them. We will find out how the batteries hold up to the residential fridge on a couple nights of dry camping.
I just bought a Quantum LF31 and took it dry camping this past weekend. Learned quickly that the 2 12 volt batteries installed could not keep the residential fridge going for very long. Had to run the generator and turned off fridge at night to maximize the battery power. How did the 6V batteries work to power your fridge while you dry camped? How long could you go running the fridge before needing a charge? Could you fit more than 2 6V batteries under the step? Thanks!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #145

THOR #7936
I barely got two 6 volt batteries under the step in my RV. Without modification there is no way I could get more than 2.

I don't dry camp and live off the batteries so I don't know how long it could last without being plugged in. I know I have used them on and off for a while doing things in the RV if I'm too lazy to plug it into the house. The factory batteries weren't worth the labels printed on them.

I did the Sam's club 6 volt golf cart batteries.

mac 'peace of mind over anything else' gyvr
Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #146

THOR #7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMLF31 View Post
I just bought a Quantum LF31 and took it dry camping this past weekend. Learned quickly that the 2 12 volt batteries installed could not keep the residential fridge going for very long. Had to run the generator and turned off fridge at night to maximize the battery power. How did the 6V batteries work to power your fridge while you dry camped? How long could you go running the fridge before needing a charge? Could you fit more than 2 6V batteries under the step? Thanks!
It looks like the Quantum LF31 uses a residential fridge, does it have an option to run off just Gas? I seem to recall that those types use an inverter to power the fridge from the batteries. I know use with the Thor Chateau, it does not use a residential style fridge, so we can use propane to cool while dry camping.

I have not tried myself, but I have seen other people say, Gas powered fridges should be fine for long dry camping but that Residential style ones are not because of the power systems they use.

Hope something works for you.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #147

THOR #7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
The passenger’s side window over the couch moves all over the place going down the road.
Do people drive with their windows open when going down the road? I have been concerned about the stress it would put on the mechanisms. If I open anything, it is the roof vents, which I installed covers over.

Just curious. I have wanted to sometimes run with those open but just worried.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #148

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMatt View Post
Do people drive with their windows open when going down the road? I have been concerned about the stress it would put on the mechanisms. If I open anything, it is the roof vents, which I installed covers over.

Just curious. I have wanted to sometimes run with those open but just worried.
We haven't with them open. As much as mine move around with them closed, I don't think it would do damage open...

My 31E came with roof vent covers, but I bought it a year old used.

mac 'miss big sliding windows' gyvr
Old 05-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #149

Model: LF31
THOR #11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMatt View Post
It looks like the Quantum LF31 uses a residential fridge, does it have an option to run off just Gas? I seem to recall that those types use an inverter to power the fridge from the batteries. I know use with the Thor Chateau, it does not use a residential style fridge, so we can use propane to cool while dry camping.

I have not tried myself, but I have seen other people say, Gas powered fridges should be fine for long dry camping but that Residential style ones are not because of the power systems they use.

Hope something works for you.
Thanks for the response. My RV has a residential fridge and there is not an option for gas. My previous travel trailer had a 3-way fridge which could run off gas - this was great as I never had to worry about it when boondocking....just needed to keep the battery charged enough to ignite the flame which was easy. I am considering a battery upgrade to run the residential fridge and/or a Zamp solar panel. Not sure if anyone has experience with any of this, but certainly would appreciate the input!! Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #150

THOR #7936
The wife said 1 a/c is not enough!

So I bought a 13.5k unit to put in the bedroom.

For now I'm going to run a separate line to plug it in at the box as most of our campsites have 30/50 am and the 110 outlets.

My eventual plan is an upgrade to 50 amp service as we have some crazy circuits in the rv that I want to split up.

Hope to get it installed on a nice warm Indiana April day...

mac 'likely a nice May day' gyvr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7003.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	16262  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:19 AM   #151

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
WOW, what a cool about rv thread!!!! thanks for the read
Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 PM   #152

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	16457

This had the cover over it too.

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	16458

Scraped a bunch of that goo off

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	16459

It fits

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	16461

We used my truck to nut it up there

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	16460

Looks good in the daylight even.

mac ‘need to run some wire’ gyvr
Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #153

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	16534

Got the inside put together. The wire is still in the cabinet, need to chase down when I get a moment.

mac ‘chill zone’ gyvr
Old 04-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #154

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Nice! 2
Old 04-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #155
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
I agree...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1554674393
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	16542  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #156

THOR #7936
2016 Thor Chateau 31E intro and questions

So far no leaks from the new a/c install.

I got the wire ran from the cabinet down to the night stand.

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	16884

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	16885

I used the existing hole to get down the wall where the coax for the satellite runs. I'm not using it. You can see in the next photo the orange coax now in the bottom of the cabinet.

I didn't leave enough wire, so I put a box in the cabinet. It also took me way longer than I wanted it to take so I ran out of time to get anymore done.

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	16886

My goal is to get the wire where all the other rv wiring meets up under the bed and set another box. Then I'm going to figure out how to get a long extension cord into that box to plug the a/c into the 110 plug on the pole for this year. Next year I will upgrade the rv from 30 amp to 50 amp service. Then I can just run a new wire from the box to the new service and eliminate the extension cord. I'm also going to be looking at one of those power control centers that helps keep from spiking the power with 2 a/c's since my genny is only 4k.

mac 'slow going' gyvr
Old 04-25-2019, 02:57 AM   #157

THOR #7936
2016 Thor Chateau 31E intro and questions

I also set up the stack for the genset. Been meaning to do this for a while. The last time we camped with the genny we had a co2 alarm go off and had to shut the genny off in the middle of the night. I'm hoping this takes care of that issue.

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	16887

This camco kit is very nice. Everything was included to make it work.

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	16888

mac 'co2 alarm is annoying' gyvr
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #158

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	17903
So to get the second a/c running for this season, I just cut the end off of a brand new 50ft 12 gauge extension cord. I plan to upgrade to 50amp service in the future, but after the cost of the a/c, I'll save that upgrade for now.

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	17904
I ran the cord into the power storage box along side the 30 amp shore power.

Name:	58128959345__08E7745B-6296-494E-A9AF-E83365A50578.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	17905
I ran it up into the mess of cords that come into the cabin. You can see the orange power cord. I put a box in there so that when we upgrade in the future, the power for the a/c is in that compartment, easier to tap into later.

Name:	IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	17906
A/C on and putting out air that in the 40s...the bedroom is going to be an ice box...

mac 'not sleeping in sweat this summer' gyvr
Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #159

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #8350
Nice work!

I’m about to full time in Indiana and am going to add a heat pump on a separate circuit that’s drilled out the back for a regular 110 plug. I haven’t fully figured out how to keep the waste tanks safe in the -15 lows that might be experienced over winter.

I was thinking hay bale skirting and a space heater?

I added a ball valve upstream so I won’t lose the low point drain to cracking and freezing.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #160

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragegame View Post
Nice work! Where did you route the cabling to get up to the AC?

Post #156 shows most of the routing.

mac ‘if that doesn’t answer let me know’ gyvr