Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #7936
Send a message via ICQ to macgyvr Send a message via AIM to macgyvr
Very cool on the link, thanks.

I hadn't looked at the tv bracket yet, thanks for the heads up on the knob to keep it tight, we skipped the $600 show me how to operate everything charge the dealer wanted to hit us with.

Too many safety things...I'm annoyed that I can't put the jacks down w/o the engine running and then I can't put the slide out unless the engine is off...

mac 'so much for rapid camp' gyvr

Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #22

State: Maryland
THOR #7268
Yeah, that is annoying about the engine. The same lockout also applies to the awning, you can not bring it in our out while the engine is running. Depending what I am doing, I like to do that last to keep shade on the side of the rig.

The back storage compartment, it is a little odd shape, we have a fold up table we bring, so I created a support for it, so that it is easier to load up things above and below that.

I will admit, I did have trouble with the dumping the first time. I thought someone had put something in the wrong place and the hole did not line up to the pipe. I tried to find an elbow that would fit. Finally, I did find that the entire part rotated out. It was very weird and not obvious, well not obvious to me.

Have fun camping...
Old 06-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #23

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMatt View Post
Yeah, that is annoying about the engine. The same lockout also applies to the awning, you can not bring it in our out while the engine is running. Depending what I am doing, I like to do that last to keep shade on the side of the rig.

The back storage compartment, it is a little odd shape, we have a fold up table we bring, so I created a support for it, so that it is easier to load up things above and below that.

I will admit, I did have trouble with the dumping the first time. I thought someone had put something in the wrong place and the hole did not line up to the pipe. I tried to find an elbow that would fit. Finally, I did find that the entire part rotated out. It was very weird and not obvious, well not obvious to me.

Have fun camping...
Yeah I finally figured out the awning safety deal too. If only there was a way to get around some of that...

I'm still trying to get things organized in the back compartment. I have a table too that I did not pack on the last trip but may put in the Jeep to take with us this coming trip.

I had to look at that dump deal myself. I thought why would it point up, that won't get it all out. Then I saw the spot in the bottom where you pull the plug and determined that it had to turn down.

Thanks. Maybe we'll get some other 31E owners in here.

mac 'the things I did to get bunk beds' gyvr
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #7695
I have a 2017 Chateau and was wondering how does your unit cool with the slide out during the summer heat. Mine seems to struggle even with the slide in. I have removed all the extra foam from around the vents but the flow sure is weak. We travel with 4 small dogs who get the bottom bunk bed in their crates. Looks like a fan will be a necessity to help keep them cool this summer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
[QUOTE=MarylandMatt;74469]Yeah, that is annoying about the engine. The same lockout also applies to the awning, you can not bring it in our out while the engine is running. Depending what I am doing, I like to do that last to keep shade on the side of the rig.

The jack system needs 12.7 volts to operate (it's electric pump). Fully charged batteries supply 12.6 volts. The awning has an interlock just like the step, so the awning doesn't come open when driving down the road. Unfortunately it does not not have a safety interlock to retract it when the parking brake is released. Unintentional opening has happened to many older Dometic awnings in 50 mph winds. I suggest you always have the generator running or on shore power when deploying the slides. The more voltage the easier it is on the little slide motors.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #26

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsmp View Post
I have a 2017 Chateau and was wondering how does your unit cool with the slide out during the summer heat. Mine seems to struggle even with the slide in. I have removed all the extra foam from around the vents but the flow sure is weak. We travel with 4 small dogs who get the bottom bunk bed in their crates. Looks like a fan will be a necessity to help keep them cool this summer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We learned from the past several RVs that we've had, keeping a fan or two in the coach is a must. We have two in ours to keep the air moving. From past experience I actually didn't have much expectation out of the one a/c unit on ours. Even with it being 15k vs 13.5k 31 feet is a large area to keep cool. It's not been crazy hot yet, so my expectations of failure haven't been met...yet. I am planning to put another roof ac in ours in the future in the bedroom vent. I'll run it with a cord to the power pole on the 110 side as 30 amp service won't run two a/c's with anything else.

mac 'where cool was born' gyvr
Old 06-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #27
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
we skipped the $600 show me how to operate everything charge the dealer wanted to hit us with.
That's a new one to me... For the money we are spending, I expect the dealer to spend whatever time is needed to demonstrate the systems on THEIR dime... and BEFORE they get my final check.

With 2 RV's - I've never been charged for that...
Only thing close to a 'paid demo' was the first winterizing - I had them do it and watched (and they answered questions) so I could do it next time... That was 6 months after I bought the rv.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #28

THOR #7936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
That's a new one to me... For the money we are spending, I expect the dealer to spend whatever time is needed to demonstrate the systems on THEIR dime... and BEFORE they get my final check.

With 2 RV's - I've never been charged for that...
Only thing close to a 'paid demo' was the first winterizing - I had them do it and watched (and they answered questions) so I could do it next time... That was 6 months after I bought the rv.
They had another demo thing that they wanted to put on me that was $1300. I couldn't figure out what either was for. I said, this is RV number 5, I know the basics, give me power and water and I'll test it all.

mac 'only hit me with $190 doc and propane test fee' gyvr
Old 06-29-2017, 06:11 AM   #29

THOR #7936
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0577.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	5512
This kind of shows the loop on the booster to the satellite receiver.

Name:	IMG_0578.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	5513

The drawer under the dinette was coming open on left turns...(NASCAR left turns...left turns) so I added another drawer catch to help.

Name:	IMG_0576.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5514

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	5515

mac 'it's the little things' gyvr
Old 06-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #30

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
We purchased a new 2016 31L Chateau last year and love it, thankfully we have not had any issues with it. As for the a/c it seems to work pretty good but for extra air circulation we purchased a small Vornado fan and put it at the front of the coach pointed towards the back, it works great you can feel it in the bedroom.
We put 8k miles on it last year, and leaving this Saturday for another 2 week trip.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 AM   #31

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	5562

We leave for 10 days tomorrow.

mac 'giddy up' gyvr
Old 06-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #32

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
have a great trip!

Looks like you are towing a Jeep on a trailer?

No way could I do that with my 31ft! My rear axle is already a bit over it's rated capacity with a couple bikes on the hitch.

Have you weighed your rig? My bet is that it's over on that rear axle, and probably a lot on that side with the full wall slide.

Don't want to put a damper on your trip or anything....but having had a blowout recently myself, just want you to consider it...keep a good eye on those tire pressures and temps....and maybe keep your speed down
Old 07-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #33

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Have you weighed your rig? My bet is that it's over on that rear axle, and probably a lot on that side with the full wall slide.

Don't want to put a damper on your trip or anything....but having had a blowout recently myself, just want you to consider it...keep a good eye on those tire pressures and temps....and maybe keep your speed down
My wife & I had a blow out in our 2 day old to us 2016 ws31. The Michelin's only had 1500 miles on them and just had the pressures checked/adjusted. The first one gashed the second one, so we sat the night at a mini mart/gas station in N.C. We don't know what took out that first tire.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:47 AM   #34

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:

Too many safety things...I'm annoyed that I can't put the jacks down w/o the engine running and then I can't put the slide out unless the engine is off...

mac 'so much for rapid camp' gyvr
Boy... No kidding!! We were just out for a week with 2 of our G-daughters. We had "setup" for the night 3-4 times already. But, this particular night I grabbed the remote for the "rapid camp" and went out extend the slide...nothing! Then, went to the wall control...nothing again. After racking our brains & getting really frustrated, we realized the ignition was still on! Grrr!!! I swear they need to be wired one way or the other, but not both!!
Old 07-02-2017, 04:48 AM   #35

THOR #7936

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	5580

Made it 280 miles to our friends house last night including 15 miles in 2 hours on i80 at the Indiana/Illinois border near chitcago...good times

Name:	IMG_0600.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	5581
240 miles today to Egg Harbor, WI. Caught the fireworks at Fish Creek.

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5582

All went well.

mac 'going to enjoy the week' gyvr
Old 07-03-2017, 03:32 PM   #36

THOR #7936
I was asked by some Jeep friends to take some pics of the rear frame extensions, because I believe they are better on the Thor's than other brands. I took them last week and in case anyone ever searching forums wants to see them. Also in talking with another Thor forum member I was curious if the E450 and E350 had the same type of extensions. Mine is a 450.

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	5600

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	5601

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	5602

mac 'better IMHO than fish plated factory frame rails' gyvr
Old 07-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #37

THOR #7936
Also we've had our first issue with the RV at the campground. We noticed we were resetting the time on the microwave several times a day on Sunday. Sunday night there was no juice to the microwave.

Today I pulled the outlet and tested it and there's no power to the outlet.

Breaker off for now.

If I feel motivated I'll crawl under and see if I can see anything from the bottom, otherwise we'll live with out it the rest of the week and deal with it later. Thor could not provide me with a solid wiring diagram last week.

mac 'the campfire makes for good reheating anyways' gyvr
Old 07-03-2017, 03:51 PM   #38

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
the frames are, as I understand it, extended by a contractor named Morryde.
That frame extension, makes the coach so long behind the rear axle, and that is why I was giving you a heads up before about rear axle weight capacity. Huge amount of weight added back there.
Actually it's more than what you have pictured. The frame in front of the axle has been extended too.
I think the E-350 models are typically shorter (smaller floor plans) but they are still extended I think, except perhaps the smallest of the models....
Old 07-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #39

THOR #7936
I am pretty sure before the axle is the ford factory frame, I'd have to go look again to confirm. Ford makes many wheel bases.

Axle manufacturers under rate axles, I'm more worried about the tires.

mac 'long either way' gyvr
Old 07-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #40

THOR #7695
Quote:
I was asked by some Jeep friends to take some pics of the rear frame extensions, because I believe they are better on the Thor's than other brands. I took them last week and in case anyone ever searching forums wants to see them. Also in talking with another Thor forum member I was curious if the E450 and E350 had the same type of extensions. Mine is a 450.
Attachment 5600
Attachment 5601
Attachment 5602

mac 'better IMHO than fish plated factory frame rails' gyvr
That is a great spare tire holder. May have to duplicate that one. [emoji106]