Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
2016 Thor Vegas 24.1 24 Month Summary

We are now over 15,000 miles on unit.

Minor stupity/wear issues resolved without seeing dealer. No significant unit downtime.

Only suspension change was the Roadmaster reflex damper I put in first month. Oil changes every 3,500 to 4,000 miles using 5w-20 Motorcraft syn blend.

The overall utility of this unit is impressive. Unit has been used to tow racecar trailer, camping, spare room, moving van and disabled transport. Wife is comfortable driving it with and without trailer though she would rather nit while I drive.

We periodically think about going bigger but is hard to go away from the overall value we have gotten from this, our first RV.

I just ordered sound deadener for doghouse and will be adding bigger sway bars and bump stops in front to make overall handling better. An emergency trip on I-4 near Orlando displayed too much roll on the slalom course on I-4.

I know this thing is entry level type machine but it fits us fine and we are very happy with it.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Wow Muggs
Great write-up!
Makes me sad I have two many peeps to fit
Really is the perfect layout-
Glad no issues for yall
Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Pretty much sums up our 2 1/2 years with our rig as well.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Glad to hear of no serious issues.

Could you remind us again of how heavy your trailer is, E-350 vs 450, 5 vs 6 speed, and if you’ve kept records, what kind of mileage (MPG) you’ve been getting; with and without trailer.

I’m sure you’ve covered this before, but it’d be nice if you could recap on this also.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Happy to hear that it's been such a great rig for you: don't mess with the success!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

THOR #5313
We tow a double axle open car trailer with a 3,450 LB Camaro. Weight combined trailer/car/spares is 5,500 LB. Fully loaded GCVW is around 18,500 LB, Vegas only is around 12,800 LBs. with our stuff, tools and racecar stuff.

The Vegas is an e450 with 6 speed trans.

Since new, average is between 9 and 11 MPG, whether towing/generator or not. Worst recorded was 8.5 running some over 80 MPH on shakedown trip.

I also carry full spare tire and associated stuff in RV. Keep spare water pump and assorted stuff for travel.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How about a picture of that race-Camaro?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Good to hear another happy 24.1 owner.
Ron, recently, thought it was time to downsize to a camper van..type unit..we made a road trip to Springfiled MO to check out a Winnebago Travato.
He decided that he STILL LOVES THE AXIS !!!
more info...
on our recent trip to New Mexico, pulling our 6x10 enclosed trailer loaded with motorcycle and stuff for the kid .. we averaged 8.49 mpg crossing western KS with strong south crosswind (as usual)

return trip 9.47mpg through northern NM and eastern CO …
then back down to 8.65mpg across western KS ..

Once in a while we get 10.1mpg …

It is my job as navigator to record mileage ..

Regarding handling on our Axis , Ron has only added Sumo Springs to replace the bump stops front and rear.. and is happy with the way it handles. I drive too and have no problem.

Our 2016 Axis is on the E450 w/6 speed transmission .

LOVE IT !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Ron, recently, thought it was time to downsize to a camper van..type unit..we made a road trip to Springfiled MO to check out a Winnebago Travato.
more info...
on our recent trip to New Mexico, pulling our 6x10 enclosed trailer loaded with motorcycle and stuff for the kid .. we averaged 8.49 mpg crossing western KS with strong south crosswind (as usual)

Regarding handling on our Axis , Ron has only added Sumo Springs to replace the bump stops front and rear.. and is happy with the way it handles. I drive too and have no problem.

LOVE IT !
So yours is no longer for sale??
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #10

THOR #5313
When we bought Vegas, we also looked at a Sunstar and an ACE. A few things concerned me at that point while still working. 19.5" tires, weight in yard at South (edge of Everglades) and GCVW/Cargo Capacity.

I liked the Sunstar interior but overhang was extreme on 158" wheelbase. Cargo capacity was light and GCVW was light.

The ACE had longer wheelbase but light GCVW and cargo capacity.

It seemed both may sink when parked next to pool. The Vegas initially made a couple ruts but a few wheelbarrows worth of good fill cured.

The Vegas was lighter overall so it did not sink, lower (less tree limbs to cut) and was effectively new, both of the bigger units were a few years old and same price.

When we take racecar away, is no issue to take the Vegas into town for food, fuel or parts.

The thought of getting something bigger is losing all appeal as we progress.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
more info...

LOVE IT !

Funny that those are also the only two new motorhomes I would realistically consider buying today if I had to buy. Fortunately I can wait hoping for a better match.

The Travato is great, but a little small for traveling with others, even two children.

The Axis 24.1 is great, but larger than we prefer, has a slide, and doesn’t come close in fuel efficiency to Class Bs like Travato (up to 10 vs 17). The optimist in me keeps hoping for a middle ground that splits the difference. Sounds like you may have some of the same size preferences.

Anyway, glad you still love the Axis.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:20 PM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Am coming to the same conclusion after our 2700 mile trip to Colorado and back in our 2018 24.1. The places we got into and parked were so easy compared to if I had a big pusher.....I'm reconsidering my retirement upgrade!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #13
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
So yours is no longer for sale??
Last Saturday, we returned from a 3900 mile trip in...yes, in our Axis !! Is our Axis for sale..quite honestly, I don't know...Ron is still thinking he would like to go to a B+ ...however, we do not want to buy a new one..therefore, we must sell our Axis and then, shop for a gently used B+, probably the same length, with a slide, and a REAL bed. To sell the Axis, the offer would have to be right.

Our Axis is awesome..it continues to serve us well, as you know, Jamie.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

The Travato is great, but a little small for traveling with others, even two children.

The Axis 24.1 is great, but larger than we prefer, has a slide, and doesn’t come close in fuel efficiency to Class Bs like Travato (up to 10 vs 17). The optimist in me keeps hoping for a middle ground that splits the difference. Sounds like you may have some of the same size preferences.

Anyway, glad you still love the Axis.

Chance...I think I posted on another feed..that we looked at a Travato with the twin beds. I must say...If we could purchase those twin Flex Beds for our Axis...wow ! Back to the Travato...it is too tight a fit for us. We camped next to a Travato twice on our recent 3week, 3900 trip. Both times, I noticed that the folks were sitting in their front seats turned around to face the living area...Honestly, I sit in that shotgun seat 4-6 hours a day on the road...the last thing I want to do is sit in it while camped ! The appliances are small...the wet bath is smaller than our Axis !

With that said...the Travato is ruled out..and pretty much rules out the Pleasure Way, etc.

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #15

THOR #5313
Our Vegas is identical floorplan to your Axis. Is tough to beat. Even with slide in, unit is fully functional. Both my wife and I find the beds very comfortable. She is skinny but has back issues, I am just fat. We have slept in unit for 21 days while cleaning, painting and prepping mobile home. No issues.

One of the keys for us is overall simplicity, ease of use, range and both internal/trailer load capacity.

We have friends who bought a Winnebago Via with same floorplan in diesel chassis. They were quite happy. More upscale in appointments and style but is 16,000 GCVW vs 22,000 GCVW of Vegas/Axis on e450. It gets better milage with smaller tank. Is also upscale in price.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #16
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post

We have friends who bought a Winnebago Via with same floorplan in diesel chassis. They were quite happy. More upscale in appointments and style but is 16,000 GCVW vs 22,000 GCVW of Vegas/Axis on e450. It gets better milage with smaller tank. Is also upscale in price.
Ron and I agree the Axis 24.1 is hard to beat. That is why we have not done anything about downsizing to a B+ yet.

There are, definitely, some comparable units out there .. however, like you said...they come with a price...mostly because they are diesel and yes, the appointments are a bit of an upgrade.
With the shopping we have done, the only way we can go to a used B+ with the same floorplan...is, sell our Axis and then shop...tradein is out of the question, as at our age we do not want to drop another $15k on top of our investment in the Axis.

We still love the Axis...it is a terrific coach and if we do sell it, we may have sellers remorse !!

k
Jeep Wrangler TJ