Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
2016 Vegas 24.1 on scale

Finally got it weighed after racing last night: Front Axle 4460, rear axle 8700, trailer 4960.

Will take RV back in ,orning for checking tongue wt.

This is the e450 chassis with nearly everything full, clothes, food and race car parts/tools and spare tires for car, RV and trailer.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow that is 2000 lbs more than our 2014 weighed (4700 front, 6700 rear) which reminds me I should take it to the scales again just to see how much has changed).

A note of the differences, though, ours is an E-350 (don't really see that changing the base weight that much), I had all 3 of us in it, full water, full propane, full fuel and all our camping gear aboard. (No extra tires or tools...) I bet the front axle difference is due to the windshield? Does yours have the shorter windshield?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

THOR #5313
Mine has the tall windshield. Looking at Ford specs, e450 has thicker frame rails. probably other upgraded stuff. My spare would not fit in back between rails like others so it is in bin. I have thought of keeping on car trailer and using hitch mount when not towing trailer but that is too much work at present.

Need to add 235 to front, I was outside directing wife where to stop on scale.

Remember the rear includes tongue weight for dual axle car trailer. I am guessiing tongue wt right at 500 lbs. I carry Vegas spare in back compartment along with 2 bins of car parts. That along with tools adds a lot. Hate to tow out of town and have the racecar break.

I can move some wt around. Currently jacks/tools are in front bins. I can can bias more toward rear axle. I can also offload stuff to the racecar trailer. I carry spare set of slicks, 3 trailer spares and a 3500w 110 volt generator on trailer. I use the cheap generator most of time to cut hours on expensive Onan.

I am quite happy with the Vegas, glad we got the e450 for extra capacity. Issue we have had are minor, easily corrected.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
.....cut.... I bet the front axle difference is due to the windshield? Does yours have the shorter windshield?
I'd take that bet.

I'd guess that his lighter front axle weight difference is affected more by tongue weight lifting up the front end. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with without trailer.

He didn't mention weight distribution hitch, so I'm assuming none being used. If so, that means every pound of tongue weight will lift front about 1/2 that.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Mine has the tall windshield. Looking at Ford specs, e450 has thicker frame rails. probably other upgraded stuff. .....cut.....

I've looked at Ford specs also (maybe not the same specs), and have found it odd that while the E-450 "Cutaway" is listed as having slightly thicker frame rails, the "Stripped" E-450 chassis is listed as the same thickness as the E-350.

It makes little sense but it's been that way for years, so probably not a misprint.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting: Basically you're just carrying more stuff! LOL

Even when we pull a car we don't add much as I don't think the dolly has much more than about 100lbs tongue weight. (I think the car wheels are slightly in front of the dolly's axle so it should put something on the RV, but not much.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

THOR #5313
Tongue wt too high. I will be moving car back on trailer quite a bit. The extra tongue wt did impact front by lightening. No trailer, I am near max at front axle and rear has a bunch of capacity. I will be moving heavy stuff toward rear and moving car back on trailer.

Weight with wife and I plus all our stuff including car stuff was 12835.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

THOR #5313
The other question in my mind was concerning specs, the e350 stripped chassis says 12,500 GVWR and 18,500 GCWR. The e450 says 14,500 GVWR and 22,000 GCWR. Thor lists 14,500/18,500 in brochure.

Even though stripped says same rails, I cannot get spare in location underneath that others have. That tells me something different in that area. I have checked everything back there, hitch mount etc. With the reputation for minimum QC, I take nothing for granted.

I ran VIN through decoder, it comes back missing detail info.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
The other question in my mind was concerning specs, the e350 stripped chassis says 12,500 GVWR and 18,500 GCWR. The e450 says 14,500 GVWR and 22,000 GCWR. Thor lists 14,500/18,500 in brochure.

Even though stripped says same rails, I cannot get spare in location underneath that others have. That tells me something different in that area. I have checked everything back there, hitch mount etc. With the reputation for minimum QC, I take nothing for granted.

I ran VIN through decoder, it comes back missing detail info.
Specs show frame dimensions to be the same with only two exceptions I've noticed. As far as frame rails, the "C" channels have same height and flange width, and it's only the thickness that is a fraction of an inch thicker on E-450 Cutaways. I don't see how that would affect space between rails for a spare tire, so it's likely something else that's causing you the problem. Maybe the frame extension on your MH is a little different?
Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #10

THOR #5313
I just went through the specs again. The frame is .020" thicker throughout length. Other thing different is rear axle has bigger 10.75" ring gear and larger/thicker axle tubes. Also uses more leafs in rear springs. Base curb weight is only 136 lbs different, mostly in rear.

The tire would not get unto position. Was close enough that possibly letting all air out, it may have worked.

I will move racecar back a foot on trailer and move trailer spares to side mounts behind trailer axle. That will ease tongue weight.