Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #7434
2017 Miramar 37.1

Hello all new to this forum and need help/advise. On Thursday possibly picking up 37.1 Miramar. Can anyone give me some guidance? From my limited research my concerns are.
Engine strength and maintenance
Slides reliability
Overall fit and finish.
Price i am paying $129,000 is that fair?

Thank for all your help

Old 05-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We have the 2016 Miramar 34.2 and enjoy it. Make sure your rear ladder is tight and secured, ours was not and bent slightly at the bottom. The company sent us a new one with no issues. This the second motorhome we have owned with the V-10 Triton engine, it's a good powerful motor. The price is right around what we paid for ours. We already have 7K on ours, subtracting the 700 miles delivered from the dealer. We had one more issue, the king size mattress had some rips in the bottom of it due to some wood screws coming through the bed support. The company sent us a new one with no problem. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I waited until there was a 2015 leftover in exactly what I wanted and saved $20K from the best price I could get for a 2016 unit. The Miramar is very similar to the Challenger. The fit and finish is mediocre. I have had to fix cheap trim, screws falling out at various places. Very disappointed in the quality of materials used considering the cost of the unit. The Ford V10 is a good engine for the chassis but I am considering the 5Star engine tuner as transmission shifting and engine RPM's are not best as factory tuned. Have had issues with one slide as a result of a rubber seal binding and then Camping World not fixing it properly but for the most part, the slides work well. Keep an eye on important screws. Thor has a tendency to use the wrong screw for the application. I have had to replace broken screws that were stressed.
Good luck and happy camping.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by figtaz50 View Post
Hello all new to this forum and need help/advise. On Thursday possibly picking up 37.1 Miramar. Can anyone give me some guidance? From my limited research my concerns are.
Engine strength and maintenance
Slides reliability
Overall fit and finish.
Price i am paying $129,000 is that fair?

Thank for all your help
I have not owned this model but I do have experience buying Thor products (have owned 3). The list price varys widely dependent on upgrades and additions. I don't know if $129,000 is a good deal because I don't know the list price on this unit. I can tell you I bought a new 2017 Thor RV in January this year. List price was around $130,000 and and I paid about 40-45% under that. I bought at an RV show in Chicago. I also suggest you buy from the Thor dealer "General RV". They have a great RV reputation and multiple locations.

With time and patience along with negoatiating skills you should be able to buy your Thor new at anywhere from 30% to 45% off of the msrp. Best time and place for the best deal will be at an RV show. Mfg's and dealers show up to display their products and are motivated to move units. Check your area and on line blogs for the next RV show you can attend. It may just save you $10,000 to $50,000 and that's enough to take the family to Europe on a first class tour for 3 weeks! Or perhaps build a new RV toy garage!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #5

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 34.3

Bought new last June. This was our 3rd RV (second new one). Full wall slide malfunctioned first weekend and attempted subsequent repairs with RV dealer 3 times. The system is built by Lippert Scwinteck and we found it to be under engineered and even manufactured incorrectly (it had a 2 track system). The Schwinteck system is not able to handle the weight - causing malfunctions.

We sent the RV back to Indiana for what we hoped was a 4th and final legit repair to the full wall slide (as it was now sliding out while we drove). Thor was unable to fix, however, and returned it back to us still with issues. We have had a major customer service disconnect with Thor and had to go the lawsuit route for resolution.

The 37.1 seems to have been reconfigured and no longer has a full wall slide.
We hope you don't have our experience and get to enjoy the RVing life, like we used to..... Good Luck!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #6

THOR #6280
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
Bought new last June. This was our 3rd RV (second new one). Full wall slide malfunctioned first weekend and attempted subsequent repairs with RV dealer 3 times. The system is built by Lippert Scwinteck and we found it to be under engineered and even manufactured incorrectly (it had a 2 track system). The Schwinteck system is not able to handle the weight - causing malfunctions.

We sent the RV back to Indiana for what we hoped was a 4th and final legit repair to the full wall slide (as it was now sliding out while we drove). Thor was unable to fix, however, and returned it back to us still with issues. We have had a major customer service disconnect with Thor and had to go the lawsuit route for resolution.

The 37.1 seems to have been reconfigured and no longer has a full wall slide.
We hope you don't have our experience and get to enjoy the RVing life, like we used to..... Good Luck!
Too bad you don't live in Indiana. Our state has what they call "The Lemon Law". If you have to have the same vehicle serviced within the warranty period for the same issues multiple times, the dealer must take it back and issue a full refund. Unfortunately sometimes it takes a court to uphold your rights and enact justice.

I'm afraid the days of "truth, honor, respect and integrity" are waning as change and new generations enter the workforce.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 AM   #7

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: Florida
THOR #9183
We just bought a 2017 Miramar 37.1, and other than a few seemingly minor problems are happy!! Picked it up about a month ago!!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
I know this is an older thread but is very pertinent to us as we are picking up our '19 37.1 Thursday. Now that each of you (and anyone else) have had your coach for a while, how has it been? The good and bad? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #9

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmoneypit View Post
I know this is an older thread but is very pertinent to us as we are picking up our '19 37.1 Thursday. Now that each of you (and anyone else) have had your coach for a while, how has it been? The good and bad? Thanks.
Well here we are a year after taking delivery on a 2017 Thor Synergy tt24.

The pros. This RV drives like a luxury vehicle, absolutely no complaints about the Mercedes handling, ride, steering, cabin, controls and it's comfortable to drive over long periods.

The cons. Too many repair issues requiring trips to the dealer for repairs, 1 factory warranty repair trip that took a week. One more factory warranty trip scheduled for September to fix the damage they did on the last factory warranty trip.

Even though we were disappointed at all the issues we still love it. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #15371
And the tradition continues

We are new to the Thor family and taking delivery of s 2019 Thor Miramar 37.1. We have been researching this coach for a while now and not seeing much in the way of information (I.e. experience) with this unit. Any advice for new Class A owners and especially owners of a new 2019 Miramar?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #11

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
We picked up our 2019 Challenger which is very similar to Miramar,last September.3500miles full time very few small problems,Thor has been great with walking me through fixing things and finding valves,and quickly sending a few replacement item's. Very happy with the coach,driving,handling,livability,and systems. Have fun and good luck!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Thor MC plant 850 (produces all the Thor branded MCs with 22.5" wheels) has an ongoing QC improvement program going for about a year. Hopefully the program is showing results. Unlike most of the other Thor plants, 850 uses piece rather than batch production which tends to lead to more QC problems. Thor MC plant 850 is trying to bring the production quality up to compete with Thor's Entergra plant which is the model (and has a two year warranty on their coaches).
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Facebook site

Facebook has a Miramar/Challenger site that is a very good source of information sharing.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #14

State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
Not happy

Purchased a 2017 Miramar 34.3 in 2016. Like you, we were so excited! Great floor plan and affordable RV for a middle class family.

Unfortunately, ours came with a major defect in the super slide (which they no longer manufacture and now have cut the slide in half on the 37.1). We tried to fix multiple times at dealer and eventually sent it back to Indiana from CT without success. The RV was returned to us by Thor still broken. The RV was simply just engineered and manufactured incorrectly. The slide still comes out while driving!

Been in a messy lawsuit since Feb 2017 just trying to get a replacement RV or our money back (lawyers, RV inspectors, etc... undoubtedly tests your resolve).

Good luck with your Miramar and sincerely hope you have happy camping days ahead.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khdlr View Post
We are new to the Thor family and taking delivery of s 2019 Thor Miramar 37.1. We have been researching this coach for a while now and not seeing much in the way of information (I.e. experience) with this unit. Any advice for new Class A owners and especially owners of a new 2019 Miramar?
Welcome to the forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #15371
I am so sorry to hear this is going on. Ruins any enjoyment you expected form such a large purchase! I do hope they get this resolved for you ASAP so you can get on with your plans. Thank you for the heads up and we will be going through the check list with a fine tooth comb.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #17

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
We have had our '19 37.1 since last July. Overall we like the unit but getting things fixed the first time and then without having something else damaged has been a challenge.

A lot of our repairs have been cosmetic. There were so many scratches and paint defects on the outside, it was ridiculous. All of that has been fixed finally but some decals had to be replaced 3 times before they were correct. Many cosmetic defects inside too. Scratches on wood, defects/cuts in vinyl. Some of these are still being worked on as each time they "fix" it, they mess something up.

Some of the more major ones are:

Furnace wasn't working correctly. First they thought it was a sail switch, nope. We were going camping so had to take it back. Second time they just put more LP in it and it worked (it typically would work the first time but then would malfunction when it tried to start back up which they knew). Of course this didn't fix it either but we had to get it in storage as it was late November. Brought it back this spring and they replaced almost everything inside the furnace. It seems to work good now but in repairing it they put scratches on the outside where the furnace access is.

Water heater works intermittently. We have the tankless one. It will throw an E2 error and not heat. Girard kept thinking it was air in the LP lines. Finally it is getting looked at now. They say the igniter was dirty but I could hear the gas ignite each time. It would stay on for a couple seconds and then go off. The E2 error is a flame sensor error. For some reason it wasn't sensing the flame and then it would shut off the burner. Pretty sure this isn't fixed. Thinking it is the sensor.

At least one slide is leaking. Second time they are trying to find it. First time they said there wasn't a leak and it was my fault a wood panel had water damage. I took a picture of the water running across the floor when it was raining so they can't deny it this time. Doubt they will figure it out.

There were countless other issues.
- The steering wheel is at 8 and 2 o'clock when going straight instead of 3 and 9 o'clock. The dealer doesn't do this kind of work. I will fix it myself.
- The front grill had damage to the chrome. You could see swirl marks on it from someone using a buffer overly aggressive apparently.
- The entry door squeaked terribly when you were going down the road. They tried to fix it but it still did it. I started to spray silicone on the latch mechanism and that has fixed it for now. I will probably look at the alignment of it at some point.
- When you moved the bed slide in or out or raised or lowered the bed itself, there was a big chunk. Apparently there was something wrong with the rollers on the bed.
- The USB charging station next to the bed didn't work. It was never hooked up.
- Wrong colored handles put on 2 basement storage doors.
- Wi-fi extender not even plugged in (it's on the roof) and the dealer stating I needed training. Ugg!
- Then the ice maker wasn't working. Well no one turned on the valve. I fixed it.
- The rearview camera didn't have sound. I tore apart the dash and the audio cable wasn't even plugged in. I fixed it.
- The theater seating was defective. They replaced it but they must have dropped it as there is a dent now in the floor in front of the seating plus they must have tore off a trim piece somehow and just nailed it up with the nail heads still showing. Should have been countersunk and filled like the rest. I will fix it.
- They did the night shade recall. Before they did it, the shade came down perfectly level. Now it is unlevel hitting on the passenger side about an inch before the drivers side.
- One of the cabinet doors was defective, they replaced it. Now the handle on that door is about an inch lower than the cabinet next to it. They were level before.
- There was a big scratch in one of the bathroom cabinets. First they tried to fill it. Second time they tried a fill again. Still looked terrible. Third time they replaced the panel. It attaches from the inside. They stapled it together and the staples ran all the way through the panel and could be seen on the outside. They also damaged the cabinet next to it this time. It is now back for a fourth time to replace again. Each of these episodes were a trip to the dealer which is an hour away. Have my doubts on this one too.
- Shower walls weren't attached to the framing behind them. They took it apart and reglued (?). I didn't notice but the holder for the shower head was basically falling off the wall. When they put it back up, they stripped the holes out. I fixed it.
- There is a TV/DVD combo in the lower bunk bed. From the factory you couldn't even get a DVD in the player as there is a cabinet surround on the TV and it was blocking the access to the player. They fixed it but it took two times and the TV now isn't centered in the surround, looks like crap.

We have been to the dealer 6 times now. Some of those times the coach was there 3 weeks. The trip is 50 miles one way (we are lucky to be that close) and an hour drive. So we have put 600 miles on the rig and well over 12 hours of our time. After all this, we still like the unit a lot. We will just be happy when the repairs are behind us.

After this round of repairs, we are going to a different shop suggested by Thor.

Sorry about the book but this was very therapeutic.