Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
2017 Thor ACE 29.4 Purchase

We stopped and looked at possibly up sizing from our Vegas 24.1 to an ACE or Winnebago. We were very impressed with the ACE 29.4. This one had a few minor issues we caused us to question dealer commitment to quality.

Has anyone had positive experience with 2017 ACE units? Anyone have a 29.4?

We have gotten very lucky with our Vegas, 5000 miles and 5 months zero issues. Are we lucky? Or did our seller beat average dealer quality? Unit was used with less than 2k miles.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:13 AM   #2

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I have a 29.4 but it's a 2016 model
Old 12-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Have you had any issues with your 29.4? Water leaks? How is you gas milage?
Old 12-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #4

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
2017 ace

Hi, we just took delivery of a 2017 ACE 30.3 a little over two weeks ago. We love the floor plan and the design style of the unit. It is a really good looking MH both inside and out! Now, as far as fit and finish. I left a post under The heading of fit finish and craftsmanship. It'll give you an idea of what I found with our unit.
In a nutshell, I had to spend some time tidying up some wiring, tighten a few screws, lube the hinges and cylinder locks, adjust the coach door etc. All things I had to do on our previous MH's.
Our dealer did spend a lot of time with us during the PDI and were quite thorough.The rig was clean, no saw dust or debris. I did find some globs of foam sealant in a few compartments.
The good thing is that all of the systems work well so far, no issues. It drives good, although It is going in for an alignment on Monday just as the factory suggests. I am also installing a safety steer system. We have only put a couple hundred miles on it so far, but we have several trips coming up which will be the real test. So far so good with our ACE

Steven B.
S/W Florida
Old 12-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
2017 Thor ACE 29.3

We took delivery of this brand new unit on October 30 and have had it out on one two night trip and an extended 17 night trip.

Trip 1: Water heaters did not work; awning stuck above driver's door; awning LED light did not work; no water to outside kitchen; a lug nut and chrome cover are missing from the right front wheel.

Returned to Camping World who did get us in to address issues (a major miracle!). They found a rip in the awning that cut the cord to the light and it requires a complete replacement of the awning, now on order. They spliced the problem to make the light work temporarily. The wiring connection for both the 110v and LP gas switch on the master console were not hooked up. Lug nut and cover had to be ordered (!!!), have not come in yet.

Trip 2: Water heater works! But, only a brief amount of hot water out of the faucet. Outside kitchen still has no water. Loud whistle from driver's window and the screen will not move.

I called Thor and got a very helpful person immediately. He walked me through the hot water problem. In my 29.3 the header is underneath the sink and there is a cupboard in front of it. There are three valves: hot (red); cold (blue); and bypass (red and blue). Only one is visible and accessible. I found the bypass only be reaching behind the luan. I had to completely remove the luan to expose the cold (blue) valve. The unit had been winterized before leaving the factory and I was only able to partially open the bypass. I cut a hole in the luan and made a hinged door to access the lower valve. VERY POOR DESIGN on an otherwise well-thought out unit. I winterized my 5th wheel many times a winter as we use it a lot in winter. It only had one valve.

The outside kitchen had water pressure to the low point valves, so the problem had to be in the faucet. I loosened the aerator and water began to spray out. Turns out one of the plastic pieces inside was upside down and blocked all flow. It probably came that way from the manufacturer, but shows no one at Thor put water in the unit to test.

Overall, we are impressed with the unit. It is far, far better built than our 2001 model 5-er. It drives very well, has an amazing turning radius, and has proven to be very comfortable.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #6

THOR #6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturescott49 View Post
We took delivery of this brand new unit on October 30 and have had it out on one two night trip and an extended 17 night trip.

Trip 1: Water heaters did not work; awning stuck above driver's door; awning LED light did not work; no water to outside kitchen; a lug nut and chrome cover are missing from the right front wheel.

Returned to Camping World who did get us in to address issues (a major miracle!). They found a rip in the awning that cut the cord to the light and it requires a complete replacement of the awning, now on order. They spliced the problem to make the light work temporarily. The wiring connection for both the 110v and LP gas switch on the master console were not hooked up. Lug nut and cover had to be ordered (!!!), have not come in yet.

Trip 2: Water heater works! But, only a brief amount of hot water out of the faucet. Outside kitchen still has no water. Loud whistle from driver's window and the screen will not move.

I called Thor and got a very helpful person immediately. He walked me through the hot water problem. In my 29.3 the header is underneath the sink and there is a cupboard in front of it. There are three valves: hot (red); cold (blue); and bypass (red and blue). Only one is visible and accessible. I found the bypass only be reaching behind the luan. I had to completely remove the luan to expose the cold (blue) valve. The unit had been winterized before leaving the factory and I was only able to partially open the bypass. I cut a hole in the luan and made a hinged door to access the lower valve. VERY POOR DESIGN on an otherwise well-thought out unit. I winterized my 5th wheel many times a winter as we use it a lot in winter. It only had one valve.

The outside kitchen had water pressure to the low point valves, so the problem had to be in the faucet. I loosened the aerator and water began to spray out. Turns out one of the plastic pieces inside was upside down and blocked all flow. It probably came that way from the manufacturer, but shows no one at Thor put water in the unit to test.

Overall, we are impressed with the unit. It is far, far better built than our 2001 model 5-er. It drives very well, has an amazing turning radius, and has proven to be very comfortable.
Wow! I hope that's all that goes wrong with your MH. My new ACE is our 6th RV over the last 30 years. I have come to expect some fit & finish issues with our new rigs, but I have never had a major appliance or system failure ( hear me knocking on wood)!
When we arrived at the dealership to do the PDI it was plugged in and all systems operational. Awning extended, A/C running, tanks full, tv's on, water heater running, jacks down, lights on, engine running etc. dealership spent approximately 4 hours going over all systems and vehicle operations. Everything was turned on and checked, except the furnace(it was a very hot day). We were fortunate that our tech owned the same model ACE, so he was exceptionally experienced with all the ins and outs of our MH.
When I got the MH back home I went through everything again, including the furnace. So far so good.
We love our ACE so far, let's hope for many trouble free miles and fun!

Steven B.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Have you had any issues with your 29.4? Water leaks? How is you gas milage?
I've had a few minor problems. Water heater not connected on the AC side; rip in the couch cushion at a seam; molding along the sides of the windshield (inside) was loose and flopping around; water got into the outside AC plug causing the ground fault receptacles not to work; shower door recall; door step quit working, fortunately in the "in" position. All items covered by warranty - two different trips and a total of 10 weeks downtime. The couch was replaced - because of the 3" rip at the seam. I thought that was a bit odd. The step issue was a bad module. I'm the only one using the coach, so I know I didn't wear it out!
I plan on having a a steering stabilizer installed this spring.
NO water leaks (that I know of) I would like to have an idiot light installed on my "use/store" house battery switch. I accidentally turned it to "store" one time and didn't know it until stuff didn't work right.
Over all - I'd give it an 8 1/2 - 9 rating out of 10.
Gas mileage - somewhere around 8 - 9 depending on the wind. I live in Oregon so most of my trips are to the coast - windy in the hills.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We own A 2016 ACE 29.3. Had a few minor things that came up that I took care of. My suggestion is spend as much time as you want doing your PDI and ask any question that you have. I would think an issues would show up during PDI.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:01 AM   #9

Model: ace 29.3
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
I've had a few minor problems. Water heater not connected on the AC side; rip in the couch cushion at a seam; molding along the sides of the windshield (inside) was loose and flopping around; water got into the outside AC plug causing the ground fault receptacles not to work; shower door recall; door step quit working, fortunately in the "in" position. All items covered by warranty - two different trips and a total of 10 weeks downtime. The couch was replaced - because of the 3" rip at the seam. I thought that was a bit odd. The step issue was a bad module. I'm the only one using the coach, so I know I didn't wear it out!
I plan on having a a steering stabilizer installed this spring.
NO water leaks (that I know of) I would like to have an idiot light installed on my "use/store" house battery switch. I accidentally turned it to "store" one time and didn't know it until stuff didn't work right.
Over all - I'd give it an 8 1/2 - 9 rating out of 10.
Gas mileage - somewhere around 8 - 9 depending on the wind. I live in Oregon so most of my trips are to the coast - windy in the hills.
Do you think the steering stabilizer will work? My 29.3 seams loose when driving it.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff g View Post
Do you think the steering stabilizer will work? My 29.3 seams loose when driving it.
I installed a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer on my Vegas 25.3 this week and it made a remarkable difference...no looseness in the steering now and the "wander" is eliminated....no more see-sawing the wheel while driving. I also installed front and rear heavy duty Hellrig sway bars and it greatly reduced the rocking of the coach and the lean while cornering. Money well spent in my opinion. I also had the front end aligned.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

THOR #6059
Steering stabilizer

I installed the Roadmaster Reflex steering stabilizer and did the CHF modification this week on our new ACE 30.3. The test drives were a complete success on the improvement of body roll and sway! The steering has a return to center feel about it that is very reassuring. Cornering felt tighter with less roll and entering and exiting driveways feels less roll as well.
I haven't had a long highway drive yet to test the semi blow by, or deal with heavy crosswinds. I'm sure the MH will handle these conditions much better now! We have several trips coming up soon so I will be able to get some highway miles on it and really test the modifications out.
In my opinion, the steering stabilizer is probably the best safety system you can install on these class A MH's as far as handling and steering recovery in an evasive maneuver or tire blow out situation.
Before installing the steering stabilizer, have your MH alignment checked.

Steven B.
S/W Florida