Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
2018 Axis or Vegas

If you have any information on 2018 Axis or Vegas, will you please share?

A lot of dealers have many on order, but I haven't seen details of changes from 2017 model year. The only information I've seen are drawings that suggest new color/graphics. Of greater interest than color or graphics may be that sketch shows the Axis with awning style that doesn't have vertical supports. That would be nice for sure, and should also eliminate the rear view mirror issue mentioned recently. Assuming the sketch actually represents an awning revision of course.

Also different in sketch are window sizes that don't match existing floorplans, leading me to think it's not all that accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3839.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	4274  

Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
This is what MSHRV has on their website:

New features for 2018 include euro-style cabinet doors with soft close hidden hinges, numerous décor updates, attic fan with vent cover mad standard, 15K BTU A/C, larger galley windows, 2 burner gas cooktop, below counter convection microwave, stainless steel galley sink, bathroom vanity heights raised, LED accent lighting throughout, roller shades, new front cap, armless awning, LED running lights and many more.

Hope this helps. If you go to MSHRV website they describe changes for most all 2018 Thor models.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD
below counter convection microwave
Interesting, more cabinet space above the stove.
Quote:
armless awning
There you go, not just the drawing but in text as well.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Price went up too!
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
This is what MSHRV has on their website:

New features for 2018 include euro-style cabinet doors with soft close hidden hinges, numerous décor updates, attic fan with vent cover mad standard, 15K BTU A/C, larger galley windows, 2 burner gas cooktop, below counter convection microwave, stainless steel galley sink, bathroom vanity heights raised, LED accent lighting throughout, roller shades, new front cap, armless awning, LED running lights and many more.

Hope this helps. If you go to MSHRV website they describe changes for most all 2018 Thor models.
Thanks much SuperD. Will definitely check out their web site. The armless awning must be for real.

The drawing above matched the 25.2 floorplan best, but window over galley was much larger than previous model. Now we know that by moving microwave below counter they can make window much wider (if there is a hood above stove I'd guess it's above window height).

As to the "2 burner gas stove", that's great. I hope they use the glass top design to improve countertop space utilization. It's a minor detail but in a small kitchen every inch counts. Thor has been using them on smaller motorhomes for years, and I'm glad it's now on Axis. Besides, two burners is plenty for us -- rarely using more than one at home.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
Price went up too!
By how much? I'd expect some price increase to cover updates.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
By how much? I'd expect some price increase to cover updates.
According to the web site mentioned above, looks like they are around $10k more.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Just looked at MSHRV again, for Axis models it appears to be about $3,000 increase.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #9

THOR #2121
Yeah, I was looking at MHSRV pricing and it looked like around $4k difference in MSRP. Obviously they'll likely discount 2017s more than new 2018s, so actual cost difference may be $10k or more.

I think much will depend on how much of a difference the new front cap makes. If it improves appearance significantly, then 2017s may have to be discounted more. On the other hand, if new front end looks aesthetically unpleasant, it could go the other way.

We speculated in a different thread that the rebate may have been to help move 2017 (and other) new inventory if there was going to be a change/upgrade. Apparently that may have been correct.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:43 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
With the discounts & Thor rebate we paid $15k less for our 2017 Axis last month (36% off MSRP). I know we'll like some of the changes in the 2018, but not enough to pay that much more for one. Now if they'd made the bathroom bigger I would've really had buyers remorse.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Another thing to note: The list of 2018 Axis units at mhsrv:
Thor Motor Coach Axis, Thor Axis, Axis Motorhome, Axis RV

All shows the 2018 24.1 on E-450 frames (shows the 2017's on E-450's as well).
Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #12

THOR #2121
TexAxis, unless it becomes a new floorplan, I don't see how they could make the bathroom in 24.1 larger. I personally wouldn't spend anything near $15k for a larger bathroom anyway. MHSRV has all the same floorplan numbers listed for 2018, so I don't expect change in that area.

Jamie, that could just be a typo or oversight since it appears it's information that MHSRV would enter into their website. From what I was told the E-350 for 24.1 floorplan was a temporary revision. I wouldn't have an issue with E-350, particularly if they included the new V8.

The sketch I posted above, if drawn accurately, suggest there "may" be some major changes around the cab and front cap area. Actual pictures should soon tell if they are dealing with E-Series chassis being much narrower in front in a different manner. The sketch shows front cab window is now mounted within the side wall instead of adjoining the top of front cap on previous design.

Originally, Thor listed the Axis/Vegas as 7'-10" wide in back, and 7'-3" wide in front. It's not clear on sketch if they are changing the width transition. Aesthetically, that could make a big difference. The only other Class A built on E-Series looked a little goofy because it wasn't narrower in front like the Axis/Vegas.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
The sketch shows front cab window is now mounted within the side wall instead of adjoining the top of front cap on previous design.
Yeah if that line is indeed the seam between the front and the side. I'd call that a big improvement--reducing the likelihood of the front side windows leaking (which seems to be a common thing in Axis/Vegas units given my experience). I think it makes it look a little cleaner too.

I would speculate that the front taper will still be there. On our Axis the side starts to taper right in front of the door--well behind the seam between the front and the wall (which is right above the front wheel). The floorplan diagrams also show the taper starting at that point.

That diagram also hints at some significant changes on the front as well.

Note that the text SuperD posted included "Larger Kitchen Window" which could be the reason for the kitchen window in the drawing being larger--I would welcome that as the little peephole window we have is kind of useless! LOL This kind of makes sense: If you move the microwave down below the stove (like described above) you could make the bottom of the top cabinets slightly higher (e.g. shorten the cabinets) allowing for a larger window there (at the sacrifice of storage space).

All of the above means the 24.1 could have a nice big kitchen window like the 25.3 does (pic from Thor's website):

Probably more like the 25.2: (also a Thor image)
Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Overall it sounds like kitchen is an improvement, although I'm not crazy about microwaves that are too low -- hard to see hot chocolate before it boils over. We use our microwaves at home and camping a lot.

I can't recall 100%, but doesnt the start of taper by door have a vertical seam on each side of motorhome? That transition would still have to be there although I can't see it on sketch.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #15

THOR #2121
By the way, it sounds to me like kitchen will be similar to that of Synergy, something I've been wanting. It's a little like Reyo too. For us the larger gas stove and oven wouldn't be useful enough to give up the space. This looks much cleaner too, and cost difference can't be that much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3869.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	4276  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
TexAxis, unless it becomes a new floorplan, I don't see how they could make the bathroom in 24.1 larger. I personally wouldn't spend anything near $15k for a larger bathroom anyway. MHSRV has all the same floorplan numbers listed for 2018, so I don't expect change in that area.
I agree. They'd have to make the 24.1 longer, similar to the 25.5 to make the bathroom any larger. Glad to see they're making improvements and look forward to seeing the new models when they arrive.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
That would make sense to make it more like the Synergy: more common parts, less cost for Thor.

I like the look of that kitchen too.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #18

THOR #2121
Since they appear to have made 15k A/C and multiple TVs standard equipment, I also wonder if they will introduce other options in their place. Maybe recliners, or dinette vs couch, etc.? Maybe an inverter as an option? Or solar controller?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Will have my 2018 vegas 24.1 in two weeks - 73k out the door from General RV in St Clemons. Armless awning, euro cabinets, SS kitchen sink, more LED lights, larger windows, options made standard (15 btu ac, heat pad tanks)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Oh it is also solar ready with wiring.