Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #6767
air conditioner

I live in Tucson AZ and own a 2017 Thor Chateau 24L. The air conditioning unit is not adequate for cooling here in the summer. My unit is also not wired for a second unit nor does it seem to be worth it to upgrade to the 15,000 BTU. I am hoping there is a small portable unit out there for those very hot days. Anyone know of something?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I finally had a second AC installed in our Gemini. It too was not wired for it, so the 2nd AC is powered off a 2nd 30 amp plug, next to the existing one. I use a Y connector from the two 30 amp outlets, to a single 50 amp cable, plugged into the 50 amp outlet in the pedestal. Second AC solved the inadequate cooling problem.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Model: Quantum 31WS
THOR #7419
Have you made sure your ductways are clear and fully opened. We have a Quantum WS31 and it definitely needs more AC, However, last summer, in the heat, I took down the AC grills and found that all were only cut through the insulation partway, with about only 30% opening. I also found that the ductway going to the vent openings over the bunk were not closed off to the space in the front cap. By closing this off, and cutting tohe vent openings properly, the AC efficiency went up 10 fold. Sill not enough but much better.

I also found that the divider between the intake and return portions of the AC were not installed properly, blocking the return portion. I reset the divider in it's proper tracks. Again, a marked improvement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC opening - Before.pdf (113.9 KB, 206 views)
File Type: pdf AC opening - After.pdf (71.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

THOR #6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I finally had a second AC installed in our Gemini. It too was not wired for it, so the 2nd AC is powered off a 2nd 30 amp plug, next to the existing one. I use a Y connector from the two 30 amp outlets, to a single 50 amp cable, plugged into the 50 amp outlet in the pedestal. Second AC solved the inadequate cooling problem.
Thank you, I will look for someone that can help me install that. Great advice
Old 02-21-2018, 08:39 PM   #5

THOR #6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcpe View Post
Have you made sure your ductways are clear and fully opened. We have a Quantum WS31 and it definitely needs more AC, However, last summer, in the heat, I took down the AC grills and found that all were only cut through the insulation partway, with about only 30% opening. I also found that the ductway going to the vent openings over the bunk were not closed off to the space in the front cap. By closing this off, and cutting tohe vent openings properly, the AC efficiency went up 10 fold. Sill not enough but much better.

I also found that the divider between the intake and return portions of the AC were not installed properly, blocking the return portion. I reset the divider in it's proper tracks. Again, a marked improvement.
I have taken it back to La Mesa RV 3 times now for this issue and they told me they scoped the ductwork and it was all open and clear. Do you have any advice on who I cold take it to for another opinion?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #6

Model: Quantum 31WS
THOR #7419
Have you looked at the vent openings? They are undercut at the factory, so i would not expect Lamesa to do anything about them
Old 02-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
It's difficult for me to imagine that a 24-foot motorhome with two slides will stay cool with one 13,500 BTU/hr A/C in Arizona heat. That's not to say that the A/C may not be installed wrong, but even if perfectly installed I can't imagine the MH staying cool in 100+ F heat -- not under normal use like parked in sun and opening the door occassionally.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
These machines are built to sell for a reasonable price and for most buyers in most parts of the country the one air conditioner is more than adequate. Because you live in an extreme climate you might be well advised to add a second unit. It shouldn’t cost more than $1,000 or so. Where I live I have elected to add more heating capacity!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I too was very skeptical about a single 13500BTU AC cooling even the small interior of our Gemini. Sure enough it didn't when temps were over 90 and the sun was on it. I opted to install a second AC, and went with a matching low profile Dometic that is also a heat pump, with a second matching Dometic digital thermostat. Looking at it, from inside or out, you would never know it didn't come from the factory that way.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #10

Model: Ace 30.2
THOR #9323
Walmart and home depot sell portable ac. Works great. Vent through one of the front windows. About $300