Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: Georgia
THOR #5981
2018 Thor Chateau 24FS loses both rear "hubcaps".

2018 Thor Chateau 24FS loses both rear "hubcaps". I purchased a 2018 Thor Chateau 24FS from Camping World Chattanooga on 9-27-2017. This was a used unit with 4080 miles on it. This model of RV is built on a Mercedes-Benz Springer 3500 Chassis. In my case the RV as stated above is a 2018 model and the Chassis was made in Dec 2016 and is a 2016 Chassis.
-
I drove the unit home (93 miles) and when I got home I noticed that the left-rear “hubcap” (really 3 part numbers shown below) was missing.
-
The next day, I emailed my salesman and asked if there was anything he could do. He said “I don't know how I could've missed a hubcap during the many walk around a in that RV, when it seems so obvious when missing. I wonder if it fell off while OTR. I'm sorry, but there isn't much I can do about it.”
-
I researched with Giant Recreation World in FL and here’s the cost of the parts:
0316790 REAR WHEEL COVER FOR 16" SPRINTER CHASSIS FASTLINER $217.28
0170899 REAR HUB COVER ONLY, WHEEL COVER,16" SPRINTER CHASSIS FASTLINER SET, APRIL 2012 & UP $91.99
CENTER STICK ON EMBLEM $1.75
Shipping $30.00
Total for one wheel: $341.02
-
So, I drove 90 miles and it cost me $341.02 in repairs after driving it off the lot. Oh well, I did get a good price because it was used….
-
I ordered the parts.
-
I also made sure that the Rear RIGHT “hubcap” was secure. I pounded on its rim until my hands hypothenar was sore….just to make sure that the hubcap was secure.
-
Well on 10/5/17 I drove the RV to Hiawassee, GA and back (220 miles)…and when we got home, guess what was missing? The RIGHT REAR “hubcap” (the three part numbers shown above).
-
In addition to TWO missing “hubcaps” (again the 3 parts noted), the plastic trim around both rear wheel wells show damage from where the “hubcaps” came off and damaged the trim.
-
And I know you are thinking this: NO, I didn't hear anything abnormally loud that would have documented the flying "hubcap".
-
In addition to being royally annoyed by the loss of two hubcaps, damage to the wheel well trim on both rear wheels, I could be out $700.
-
But do I want to spend $700 just to lose the new hubcaps on my next RV outing?
-
AND ONE MORE THING: Those three parts combined flying off of an RV going 60 miles an hour….Could cause serious damage to another vehicle or God forbid a motorcycle rider or pedestrian.
-
Based on the response I get on Monday from Thor Support, I may need to file a safety complaint with https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I’ll keep you all posted.
-
Attached are pictures of the left rear missing "hubcap" and the right wheel "hubcap" before it flew away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4498.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7275   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4497.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	7276  

Old 10-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

THOR #5981
Question for the folks:

Should the balancing weight be attached to the front of the tire wheel (rim) or the rear? If attached to the front of the rim, then when the Wheel Cover is installed, there is a "hump" where the cover is not fully flush with the rim.

Could you look at your class "C" and tell me if perhaps that is the cause of my problem?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmikea View Post
Question for the folks:

Should the balancing weight be attached to the front of the tire wheel (rim) or the rear? If attached to the front of the rim, then when the Wheel Cover is installed, there is a "hump" where the cover is not fully flush with the rim.

Could you look at your class "C" and tell me if perhaps that is the cause of my problem?
Rear wheels on my class c were naked, maybe for that reason. Front didn't have full caps. Weights were front and rear on mine. Well, inside/outside.
Are stick on weights still used?
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

THOR #6333
One of my hubs was missing the lock clips. If you two holes side by side in the cap that is the problem.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

THOR #5981
Duncii, could you clarify what you are talking about?

Wonderdog. I'll attach a picture of the weight on a wheel that lost it's cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4539.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	7280  
Old 10-08-2017, 11:34 PM   #6

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:

We lost one off ours this summer also! Never had a problem in the 13 years driving our old MH. I even saw it come off. DW & I walked back about a mile, but couldn't find it! It was a narrow stretch of road with double guard rails on both sides of the road and tall grass behind the rails. GRIPED my COOKIES! I bought mine online the day we lost it. It was home waiting for me at the end of our trip with the G-daughters! Here's one for ALOT better price than you got before...same place I ordered.
SPRINTER VAN 16" ONE REAR WHEEL SIMULATOR WHEEL COVER HUB CAP STAINLESS LINER | eBay
Old 10-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

THOR #4466
Quote:

Good looking wheel, good looking weight. I doubt the weight is the culprit BUT if the hub cap cost as much as you had to pay that wheel would remain naked if mine. Matter of fact I'd remove the other three to try and keep the lovely wife, mother of my children, keeper of the peace, happy. It's cosmetic and doesn't bother me to be without but lots of folks don't feel as I do.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 10-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

THOR #6333
Tmikea responded to instant message w/ more detailed explanation but don't see the post here. Did you get it?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 AM   #9

THOR #5981
Found the solution!!! Stainless Steel Zip Ties

If your RV's wheel covers (sometimes called wheel simulators) (aka hubcaps) do not connect the wheel/rim via a nut or some other secure mechanism, then they connect via the shear force of the wheel cover's metal prongs pressing against the rim. If your wheel covers are connected simply by the pressure of the cover pressing against the rim, then YOU are just waiting for the wheel cover to disappear.

A RV rear wheel cover (concave) with a center hub attached to it (adding weight to the wheel cover) increases further the probability that the cover and hub come flying off). And you can spend $200 or more to get the missing parts replaced.

Here's a solution that uses stainless steel zip ties. Looks like a permanent fix to me.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FA&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 10-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #10

THOR #4466
Quote:
If your RV's wheel covers (sometimes called wheel simulators) (aka hubcaps) do not connect the wheel/rim via a nut or some other secure mechanism, then they connect via the shear force of the wheel cover's metal prongs pressing against the rim. If your wheel covers are connected simply by the pressure of the cover pressing against the rim, then YOU are just waiting for the wheel cover to disappear.

A RV rear wheel cover (concave) with a center hub attached to it (adding weight to the wheel cover) increases further the probability that the cover and hub come flying off). And you can spend $200 or more to get the missing parts replaced.

Here's a solution that uses stainless steel zip ties. Looks like a permanent fix to me.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FA&FORM=VRDGAR
Here's the link to ties at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTKBTH2
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Old 10-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Different chassis so different wheels
but
After several years, i finally removed my wheel simulators and put them into storage. I wish I'd done that long ago! So much easier to install/remove my tptms sensors, dust caps, and to air them up.
I had to paint my wheel since they were scratched up badly form several years of wheel simulators off and on. Doesn't look quite as good, but in this case, for me, function over form wins by a landslide!
Old 08-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #12
GWS

State: Nevada
THOR #10426
2018 Thor 24SS

I just lost my right rear hubcap driving on a nice smooth rad (RT 80). It took off accross the grass median just missing an on coming car. I guess these hubcaps are not designed for American roads or for driving at all. Also, the obscure window in the door fell out and the Infotainment system cuts out and reboots on a regular basis. Also on RT 80. 80 may be the Bermuda Triangle for Thor"s.