Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #7569
2019 Aria 3601- tankless water heater

We are thinking about trading up to the 2019 Aria 3601.

After looking at an existing thread on the tankless water heater, I'm not sure. Does anybody have an Aria with this water heater? What do you think of it? I've heard and read so may negatives about it. Unreliable hot water would be enough to kill this purchase. I'm not taking cold showers.

We currently have a 10 gal water heater in our Palazzo and have never run out of hot water. Not to mention that I love the elec/gas option. My few experiences with the tankless have not been good.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I guess there could be drawbacks, but then again, that can happen to any type of water heater...just look at all of the negatives on these forums about Dometic, Attwood, etc... everything can have problems.
I think the tankless systems are a great idea, great storage room savings, and supposedly 'endless' hot water. How does it work? Propane, Electric? If propane, I suppose it could work anytime, anywhere...but I suppose if it's electric, it would require the generator or shore power.

I have a tankless water heater in my son's 'apartment' next to our house, for his bathroom sink. It has a problem in that if the water flow thru the water line for the faucet is not 'enough', it won't trigger the heater to start working.... not a big problem for the sink, but if taking a shower, that's another story.

I would think that one issue might be the amount of water flow to trigger the heating element. If on your water pump, it would have to be a certain flow level, or you'd have an issue. If on shore water, the same thing applies.

I wouldn't 'not' buy an Aria just over concerns for the water heater, though, especially if it's the floorplan and chassis/engine platform that you like. You'll figure it out. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
THOR #7569
It’s propane only.

And having to take cold showers would definately keep me from buying one. Why would anyone spend $200,000 for a motorhome they MIGHT OCCASIONATELY have hot water in?

That’s why I’m inquiring info from people who have this coach. I know the tankless water heaters have had a lot of problems in the past. The salesman told me they have fixed them, but I know he wants to make a sale. If they are still having issues, I’ll find something else with a tank.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #4
LDK

Model: Aria 3901
State: Colorado
THOR #13190
Hello. I recently purchased the 2019 Aria 3901. Just completed a 5 day shakeout camping trip. My summary of the tankless water heater:

Pros: endless hot water
Cons: takes longer to get hot water, water never got to 120 degree setting.

We were camping in Colorado and night time temps were in the high 20s so water in fresh tank was pretty cold. Highest the water temp got was 111. Most of the time the temp was ~109.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The key to reliable hot water: getting enough flow through the system.
If you're hooked to City Water: use a pressure regulator set to somewhere between 50 and 55 psi.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:59 PM   #6

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Endless hot water

2019 Challenger FH we're just over 2 months full time in it. I read all the bad about it and felt the same way,but wanted this Floor plan. I'm pretty sure we have the same water heater that would be in your unit and so far it's been a very pleasant surprise. First couple of days took getting used to seemed touchy so used the water pump and filled tank every couple days worked fine got used to setting temp with single handle shower handle ,never used one in rv before, figured it out went back to campground water hook up,we spent 3 week in campground with very low water pressure neighbor said sometimes 16 psi,no problem,checked into campground sunday great water pressure same temp. water. I was also wary of propane only,being full time we liked our electric"free" hot water heater but over 2months use,showers everyday and we have stack washer dryer use it almost everyday on hot water setting,we've only used 1/4 tank of propane. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #2181
What brand are they putting in, I have had a Girard 2 and now have a Truma and there is a learning curve on both. Girard 2 does have a flow adjuster that can help especially when the water is colder coming in and the Truma has setting that helps as well.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
LDK

State: Colorado
THOR #13190
In the 2019 Aria 3901 they have installed the Girard GSWH-2. Be great to hear how can increase the water temp.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:09 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
In the 2019 Aria 3901 they have installed the Girard GSWH-2. Be great to hear how can increase the water temp.
You need to access the back of the water heater, there is a white control valve on the back that you can adjust to slow the flow of water thru the heating element. Here is a link for the manual

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
We use our propane only tankless hot water like this...
~ for showers we set thermostat to 109 (+/-) degrees and only use the hot valve on the shower. That is, no need to use the cold valve. As long as there’s constant flow, the water is hot & comfortable. We can always adjust the thermostat up or down as needed for the next time
~ for the sink...we crank the thermostat higher, even to highest setting, but only use the hot water valve on the faucet

Bottom line...it’s not like home
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 AM   #11

THOR #6952
Thank you Taylorbob, 109 works fantastically for showers. Also purchased an adjustable water regulator and keep the PSI at 55 to 60. Thank you all!