Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
This post certainly indicates to me that even though we've had at least a dozen problems with our 2015 Windsport, our problems don't compare to what others have experienced. When we travel long distances, I carry a pretty good assortment of tools, and unfortunately I've needed to use many of them.

Between the initial cost of the RV, the cost for fuel, registration, insurance, maintenance, repair, repair, repair, campground charges, etc., I am not really a happy camper.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
This post certainly indicates to me that even though we've had at least a dozen problems with our 2015 Windsport, our problems don't compare to what others have experienced. When we travel long distances, I carry a pretty good assortment of tools, and unfortunately I've needed to use many of them.

Between the initial cost of the RV, the cost for fuel, registration, insurance, maintenance, repair, repair, repair, campground charges, etc., I am not really a happy camper.

It certainly does add up fast. Actually, I think RVing might be the most e pensive thing I’ve ever done - even more than learning to fly and building an airplane. I would caution folks considering an RV as a way to save money while traveling to reconsider. You have to really enjoy the lifestyle and it’s helpful to enjoy tinkering and fixing things. I hope your repair saga resolves.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #23

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It certainly does add up fast. Actually, I think RVing might be the most e pensive thing I’ve ever done - even more than learning to fly and building an airplane. I would caution folks considering an RV as a way to save money while traveling to reconsider. You have to really enjoy the lifestyle and it’s helpful to enjoy tinkering and fixing things. I hope your repair saga resolves.
One has to pay to play.

Same with a motorcycle. No one should buy a motorcycle because it will save them money on travel. I have several motorcycles and none of them come close to the fuel mileage we get with our Prius'. Tires and parts are expensive, and unless a car tire is mounted on the rear wheel, the tires don't last very long.

Boats are even worse, particularly since they often aren't used as much as motor vehicles but deteriorate quickly in the humid and often salty environment.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #24

THOR #6826
Yup. It’s the nature of recreation stuff (aka toys!). You can spend a huge amount of money on other kinds of fun too. I have a friend who probably spends $15 - 20,000 a year on golf!
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #25

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Yup. It’s the nature of recreation stuff (aka toys!). You can spend a huge amount of money on other kinds of fun too. I have a friend who probably spends $15 - 20,000 a year on golf!
Yes and other hobbies can be very expensive too. Ham radio, for instance. Though prices have come down over the past 25 years, it's easy to spend $20,000 on a radio, amplifier, tower, and antenna. Gulp!
Old 07-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #26

THOR #6826
But if you can afford it and it keeps you busy and happy - especially in your declining years of retirement - it’s all good.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:10 AM   #27

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
Well feeling a little guiltily that we got to Bolivar peninsula and there's no power. About the only ones here with a generator.

Not feeling guilty that I have to play with both ends of this messed up drain [emoji23].

At least I got to put the cover back on the water heater that they didn't do for some reason. Ground cable I reconnected is still connected and working [emoji106].

Will wait and see if it leaks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2712.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	18617
Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #28

Model: 34J
State: South Carolina
THOR #13131
What is this drain for? My 2015 Hurricane doesn't have this. I have a drain plug for my water heater. Sorry you have so many issues. I didn't have this many. Also I saw the picture of the slide out(just like mine, full side). Do not extend it unless the motor home is level. The slide will get off the rollers that are on the side of the extension. Been there done that. How do you know if is off? The extension will look crooked and the gaps will be off. The rollers are located under the metal gear track on the top and bottom of the slides front and back. The rollers are v shaped.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 PM   #29

THOR #2817
Full Moon...,
How do you get the rollers back on track?
Old 07-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #30

State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Hello. I am at about 25 issues with my 2019 34j. I have about 5k miles on it and have had it almost a year. The kitchen drain was the biggest surprise. As someone else posted, I created a thread last year. It was just designed badly. My invertor failed almost immediately. Known issue from eaton. I convinced them to ship me one directly instead of going through the dealer or Thor. Easy swap. Lots of broken latches through out the coach. All hurricane logos have been replaced and one sticker that bubbled and cracked at first freeze last winter. Smashed relay for the Toad blinkers, fresh water inlet pipe clamp was not tight so it came off when filling and flooded the floor. The ice maker pipe inside the freezer was pushed in so it leaked water down the back of the fridge. Probably not Thor's fault. Mira Bluetooth controller bad. Bunch of poor quality control from Thor. Some issues out of there control. A year later...I have been through a lot to get everything fixed...but I am happy with the coach. Currently typing this sitting next to it in a campground. Happy travels.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #31

State: Michigan
THOR #12625
Also... We found another dozen items at first walkthrough that we made them fix before delivery. So add that to my list. I am surprised by the poor quality control of Thor and the poor walkthrough the dealers do.
I asked my sales guy a few days ago about it and he said the 300k motorhomes have the same number and severity of issues as the 100k ones do. That sort of made me happy but sort of didn't.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #32

THOR #2817
Poor quality control, poor design, cheap components, sloppy work, manufacturer, dealer, and salesperson inadequacies are inexcusable. Too bad the only cures are fighting with them, building your own RV, using motels and hotels, pitching a tent, or staying home.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 PM   #33

THOR #15642
2019 Thor Hurricane 34J - New Owner / New Problems

So I was checking the outdoor sink since I was curious about why the water pressure was low.

I didn't figure that one out but saw there was a slight leak at location A.

Tightened that and it stopped but noticed the collar was cracked at location B. Touched it and it broke. The collar at C was also cracked. Kind of smelled like adhesive on the pipes and the entire area probably had water for a little bit.

I do use the macerator too.

Name:	IMG_2739.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	18641

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	18642
Old 07-02-2019, 02:15 AM   #34

THOR #15642
Picked up some HVAC foil tape to make sure the divider in the AC units were completely sealed off.

Hopefully it raises the pressure just a bit. Can't hurt.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #35

THOR #13131
I took it to Camping World where I bought it and they put it back on for me.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:05 PM   #36

THOR #13131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Full Moon...,
How do you get the rollers back on track?
Took it to camping world where I bought it and they put it back on
Old 07-08-2019, 03:42 AM   #37

THOR #15642

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	18790

Name:	A047EE57-4593-4698-B9D0-855A75FF18FD.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	18791

Second trip went smoother than the first as I have learned a little more about the rig and what to expect.

I've used the Prodigy RF wireless brake controller on three different vehicles with good results.

Being able to serve 14 people (7 adults) inside is pretty nice!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:10 PM   #38

THOR #15642

Finally got one thing fixed.

The stereo was replaced and I noticed they were installing the Axerra AVM211NAV.

That unit is Sirius XM ready and the MY2020 comes with the tuner. Would be easy to add but I already can stream XM and don't stay in the coach enough to make use of it. Unfortunately I'm not close to retirement age.

They tried to fix the reverse camera and found out the issue was the connection at the rear. However as soon as they tried to take a look, the wire not completely connected to it slipped into the rear cap.

They're going to order a new cable. Like most of my other issues, the fixes will probably not be done until winter.

Hopefully next year is a little smoother.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #39

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane34J View Post
Also... We found another dozen items at first walkthrough that we made them fix before delivery. So add that to my list. I am surprised by the poor quality control of Thor and the poor walkthrough the dealers do.
I asked my sales guy a few days ago about it and he said the 300k motorhomes have the same number and severity of issues as the 100k ones do. That sort of made me happy but sort of didn't.
Thanks for your input. I have been following this for quite a while and will add a comment regarding what this employee told you about other coaches have the same number and severity of problems. Sorry, that is just opinion, like the one I am adding. I can tell you from my experience that those numbers and severity are worse with some companies. Seems like there is very little pride in the labor put into them when they are built so the owner has to take up the slack. Very frustrating.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 AM   #40

THOR #15642

Name:	IMG_3322.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	19324

Took a picture of what happens when the slide goes out. The pipes weren't cut to where they can move in this small place. PVC pipe gets put under tons of tension and actually bends.

Also was catching on the electrical box.

Tolerances in other piping all around are tight too. Pretty sure that's why my outside kitchen plumbing broke as well.