Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #8416
Is there any good news here?

I’ve been reading this forum for three months, and keeping a list of all the problems so that we would be prepared.

The conclusion that we have come to is that Thor does not have adequate quality control, buyers should expect multiple problems, and poor customer service.

If only I would have read twenty happy customer stories in three months...

We will buy Travel Leisure Van.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:55 AM   #2

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Kind of like watching the news in my opinion.... you pretty much hear about problems. Our Axis did cost quite a bit less than you will pay for your rig that you are deciding to buy. Yes, we have had some minor problems but they have been remedied. Don't know of anyone that hasn't had some issues with a RV, no matter what the brand. So, just picture me with a happy smile when I think of being out on the road with our Axis.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:57 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
There are lots of happy Thor owners--they don't post because they are out camping.

By its nature you will find many more problems in the Forums than happy people: If you're having issues you're going to seek out solutions, search for forums and post.

If you are happy you're not going to be searching, and posting--you don't have a reason to.

This is why you'll find many problems here (and in the forums for any other RV)...however there are quite a few happy people on here.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:01 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego travelers View Post
I’ve been reading this forum for three months, and keeping a list of all the problems so that we would be prepared.

The conclusion that we have come to is that Thor does not have adequate quality control, buyers should expect multiple problems, and poor customer service.

I think across multiple RV forums the INDUSTRY has a quality control problem... From entry level to most expensive....

Most customer service issues (not all certainly) are dealer related... I have seen multiple posts recently of people happy with direct Thor contact/help.

Also human nature, you will always see more posts about problems than the 'uneventful trip' where everything worked well.

Best of luck with whatever rig you buy
No matter the brand, a thorough PDI and a good dealer make a world of difference.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m very happy with my 26 foot 2017 Freedom Elite. It’s had its share of adjustments and minor repairs but nothing that has required it to go back to the dealer or a repair shop. I bought it new for about $55,000 which is less than the price of a nice pickup truck. I consider it to be an exceptional value and a very satisfying purchase. I don’t blame you for wanting a Travel Leisure Van though. Very “swankety”! I hope you get many years and miles of real joy from your new machine.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Kind of like watching the news in my opinion.... you pretty much hear about problems. Our Axis did cost quite a bit less than you will pay for your rig that you are deciding to buy. Yes, we have had some minor problems but they have been remedied. Don't know of anyone that hasn't had some issues with a RV, no matter what the brand. So, just picture me with a happy smile when I think of being out on the road with our Axis.

X2....well said.

Count me as a happy camper in my Axis. Very few problems and many happy miles traveled thus far.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
9000 miles 20 states this summer family of 5, 2 college students and 14 yr. old. No Issues Everyone had a blast!!! Heading out for some Mich. Skiing in a few weeks... Good Luck !!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:23 AM   #8

THOR #8416
Thanks for some good news.

Love the word “swankety.” We have a few months to make our purchase decision. I’ll keep reading and see if any Thor Swanketeers are out there. 👍🏻
Old 11-27-2017, 03:33 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
We have had a few issues but we have really come to enjoy our 23TR Gemini. Lots of pluses to this design. Most complaints I have seen involve dealers that are so deep in repairs with all brands it is hard to get relief with minor warranty items. If most minor issues could be remedied within a week or two they would never hit these posts.

Yup, count us as happy Thor owners
Old 11-27-2017, 04:22 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 34P
State: Arizona
THOR #5872
Happy

I have had a few issues but have found that most of the equipment Thor put in the RV's is of high quality. I worked at dealerships in the automotive industry and found the same quality control. It comes from any mass production,even my new house had problems. Thor builds a good RV and the F53 runs great even at 11700 feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170901_104520.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	7982  
Retired mechanic
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:

I have to agree with what the others have posted. I bought my Hurricane the end of 2015, haven't driven it near as much as some of the people on here, but drove from CA to LA and back then up to Yellowstone NP and back, camped in it along the way and there. Didn't have any "manufacturer problems", just stuff I didn't know about.

I have fixed a few things that were not huge, and like I wrote the Rep, if Thor paid just a little more attention to detail and quality, this would be a GREAT RV, not just good. That being said I haven't had nearly as much problems as some on this forum have listed.

I think what hasn't been said so far on this thread is that to own an RV, it REALLY helps when the owners have a little mech/elect aptitude and the willingness to fix something they don't like or fell apart. I know I have seen many instances of that on this forum.

I wish you much happiness with whatever RV you decide to get. I am sure once you hit the road, you will enjoy it.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good news never travels as fast or as far as bad news...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
There are lots of happy Thor owners--they don't post because they are out camping.

By its nature you will find many more problems in the Forums than happy people: If you're having issues you're going to seek out solutions, search for forums and post.

If you are happy you're not going to be searching, and posting--you don't have a reason to.

This is why you'll find many problems here (and in the forums for any other RV)...however there are quite a few happy people on here.

Have you considered that some expectations may be so low that being "happy owner" and "poor quality" are no longer mutually exclusive?

I agree there is reporting bias, but that runs both ways. When someone questions a product, those who own it are likely to defend it because they take it personal, as if being called stupid for having purchased it. You see a lot of that here and in forums everywhere also.

Just saying reporting bias isn't one sided.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you considered that some expectations may be so low that being "happy owner" and "poor quality" are no longer mutually exclusive?

I agree there is reporting bias, but that runs both ways. When someone questions a product, those who own it are likely to defend it because they take it personal, as if being called stupid for having purchased it. You see a lot of that here and in forums everywhere also.

Just saying reporting bias isn't one sided.
True and good point.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Isn't this also a rather LARGE assumption?

It actually sounds as if you're saying something like this:
"I don't hear the complaints that I just know are out there; they must all be ignorant..."
Old 11-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Discussion

Sometimes, this just gets down to the typical American discussion of Ford vs. Mopar vs. Chevrolet. There are lemons among all of them. I just looked at the Leisure Travel forum and read several regarding engine problems with the Mercedes Sprinter. I don't like taking my vehicles in for engine problems no matter who made it, but taking it to a Mercedes dealer would just make me cringe. I happen to like a tried and true chassis such as the F53 and EX50 because of their time on the market. Now if those driving the alternative Mercedes sprinter are happy with their purchase, I am happy for them. If you want a sure thing, I guess you shouldn't buy anything, sit in your rocker and just watch TV.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree...
Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Isn't this also a rather LARGE assumption?

It actually sounds as if you're saying something like this:
"I don't hear the complaints that I just know are out there; they must all be ignorant..."
I don't think that is what he was saying at all.

I think it was more along the lines of: "I know quality is crap but if I can get the coach I'm getting working for me then I'm a happy customer/camper"
(e.g. you know the quality is crap (low expectations) and decide to live with it anyway (hence happy camper))--or you're expecting to find the gem in the pile of....
Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #19

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:

When I read a post like this I can guarantee you that the author has zero experience owning and maintaining an RV. I am not making that statement to be disrespectful to San Diego Travelers, I just remember my attitude a few years ago when we began our research prior to purchasing our first RV.

I don't care if you spend $20,000 or you spend $1,000,000 you take a chance on things going wrong. I paid $27,000 for my first used fiver and it was almost 100% trouble free. Paid much more for my first gently used Thor MH and there were only a few small issues. Taking a chance with a new higher end coach now and on that owner's forum there are folks with problems just like on this forum.

It is plain and simple, the RV industry just does not have the same QC as the automobile industry. The quality is not the same nor is the price structure. Once you realize that and deal with it you can sit back and enjoy RVing.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I don't think that is what he was saying at all.

I think it was more along the lines of: "I know quality is crap"....
That's the assumption that I was referring to...
Are the rigs "perfect"? probably not; but where do you put the delineations between "great, "pretty good", "okay" "Lousy", and "Where's our Lawyer's phone number?"