Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
Vegas/Axis battery compartment

Has anyone rigged up something to hold the step in the up position while filling or checking the house batteries?
While checking water level yesterday, found I needed 3 hands.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
We have had no problem with our step. It stays in the up position by itself!
Old 07-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #3

THOR #1448
Ours doesn't stay up.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Mine doesn't stay up either and since I don't have 3 hands I used a clamp with a shot bag strap around it for weight to keep it open. The top left edge of this picture shows the clamp and strap around it. Off frame is a shot bag laying on the floor that provided enough drag resistance to keep the lid open.

I'll probably cut a stick or something one of these days to use as a prop and just leave it on top of the batteries for future battery fills.

When I saw this thread title, my thoughts or hopes was to open it and see a battery box mod that allowed 2 6V GC batteries to be stored.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

THOR #1448
I think we'll get a stick to use as a prop also.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post

.....cut.....

When I saw this thread title, my thoughts or hopes was to open it and see a battery box mod that allowed 2 6V GC batteries to be stored.
Have you considered other battery types that don't require as much maintenance? Is higher cost the main objection or are there other reasons golf cart batteries are best for this application?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:22 PM   #7

THOR #1944
I've just had such great luck with GC batteries and they're cheap! They last us many deep cycles (years) longer than the 12V group 24/27 batteries I've had. Also, they seem to produce more usable AH even when AH specifications of my parallel 12V were near same. Plus I already have a watering system for GC batteries

Have I considered other battery types? For sure! have even built a near 12V LiFe pack when I was building electric bicycle batteries. The problem here was that I had to rig up a different charger for them and the over-all cost was REALLY high! Great power though! Easily usable through a good 70-80% of the stated AH capacity with no noticeable loss after a couple years. When we sold that RV the LiFe pack got repurposed to an alternate energy project where it got serious daily use for a few more years.

On paper AGM was theoretically easiest/best I thought for RV use. Though I experienced short usable RV life with 2 different AGM attempts. We mostly dry camp so the battery performance shows up pretty quick during fall to spring cold 3 day outings.
Gel - was weak at the end of just 1 season (bad charger matchup likely)
AGM - noticeably reduced capacity at about 2 years each set (PDI 3 stage charger on one batch)

A set of GC batteries watered quarterly typically last us at least 3yrs till we sell it and get a different RV. The last pair was still going strong after 5yrs when we sold that RV. Actually I don't remember GC batteries failing to provide our typical 3 days of power use while we owned them.

If I thought double the cost would actually buy me less maintenance or comparably longer life I'd jump on the technology. The problem with the Axis and some other RVs we've had, is battery compartment height and/or width conflicting with battery capacity I'd like to achieve using any current standard size options I've found within a reasonable price (proven RV successes too).

Running out of power unexpectedly is something I really dislike. The factory batteries in our current RV have supplied our 3 day needs so far but will they continue to do so for the long haul? A nice inverter sitting on my bench could be the catalyst that leads me to different batteries before finding out how long they might last ...
Old 07-12-2015, 01:17 AM   #8

THOR #1944
Bamboo Hatch Prop

Problem solved...

Bamboo prop storage...

Just happened to walk by a stick of weathered bamboo in the garden shed and thought of this thread. So I cut off a bad end and estimated length for the other cut. It was a bit long so off went another inch for a nice easy fit.

Not the whittled camping twig I had envisioned ... but hey, it's done for now!
Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

State: New Jersey
THOR #2398
I use a bungee from the latch and attach it to the couch in my Vegas.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
Has anyone changed the starting battery yet? I'd like to see pictures or get information on how to do it.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #1749
I have tried to replace the coach battery but could never get it out of the engine compartment. The battery is about .5" to big.

I found a different manual for the Axis on line under owner resources at
http://thormotorcoach.com/owner-resources

On page 99 it tell how to get the battery out.

The chassis battery is accessed through the passenger side dash on the Axis and
Vegas units.
1. Remove the passenger side work station.
2. Remove the seal and wood access.
3. The battery will be below and forward of the opening.
4. Reinstall the wood access panel.
5. Reseal the panel. Failure to properly reseal the panel will allow air intrusion into
the cab of the motorhome.

6. Reinstall the passenger side work station.

I have not tried this but it does let you know how Thor thinks you get at the battery. The manual I got when I bought the unit did not have this section in there.

Best of luck getting it out.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #1243
I took mine out last night. The above post is correct. Installed the battery's long side is parallel to the side of the morning home. Once the tie down clamp bolt is loosened I bent my knees, squatted, leaned into the hole, lifted the battery and turned it 90 degrees to pull it through the hole. Now I'm waiting on a Kwik Fill kit and a battery disconnect. I will cable tie the hose to the front of the engine compartment. I did make sure I could reach through the open engine hood and back to the negative terminal to turn off/on the disconnect when installed.

The process is a massive pain. Not sure yet how I will seal the fabric and support the plywood panel. Now I'll go look at the manual Mike provided. Thanks
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #13

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
If someone else does it please take pics for the rest of us who will need to replace the battery in the future.