Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Delaware
THOR #5616
ACE 29.2 problems

First let me say I love my ACE's floor plan, and I love the length. Now, let's talk about quality. The ACE is still in the local RV Dealer repair shop. The awning failed to come in while camping with a storm approaching. I (with help from other campers) removed the motor, rolled it in by hand, zip tied it in and replaced the motor. Each time I hit the button to retract it the fuse blew. Turns out during the build of the unit a screw contacted one of the wires and it rubbed (evidently from driving vibration) into a dead short. Obviously a lack of quality from the manufacturer. Waiting to see what Thor does about it, and the dealer's had it a week already. This on top of the bathroom mirror falling off the wall in the bathroom. It was barely held by a couple of tiny brads. I re-insulated the doghouse as the original insulation was sloppily attached and only about half of it was there to begin with. The passenger window wouldn't lock. The press-board that the bed is on is too big and the edges are extremely rough, I've yet to fix that. A light over the dinette needed replacing. We are constantly finding screws, most of which we have no idea where they came from! I am on the verge of regretting our Thor purchase. Some things are expected when you buy new, but there has been more, since Thor has fixed these I left them out of this discussion. I will wait to see the outcome of Thor's decision and what else goes wrong. OH, I almost forgot...how could I?...the windshield leaks! The dealership that currently has the RV does not sell Thor, so will not work on it, (they are a repair center for the type of awning I had so will work on that).

Old 05-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Pretty typical I think but don’t give up. Once you work these assembly bugs out it’ll likely give you many years of good service. We all wish there was better assembly quality but apparently if there was you wouldn’t be able to afford the coach to begin with! Best to fix what you can hire out anything the dealer can’t or won’t fix and then go on tour and have a wonderful time. All the best.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:12 AM   #3

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Shifty, my 29.4 is in the shop now also. My biggest problem was refrigerator wouldn't run off AC (ran fine on LP). A couple small odds and ends, but overall nothing unexpected. The service department made me an appointment 45 days after purchase to work any issues. Keystone 5th wheel we traded in lost several pieces of trim, the converter, inop awning, door locks and some other small things on our first trip. I understand and expected crappy quality control and was prepared for problems (not happy, but not surprised).

Think of this in the longer term; you have a layout you like and a platform to give you years of fun. Everything you mentioned can be fixed (hopefully they can diagnose your windshield leak correctly the first time). My best recommendation based on my extensive 2 month motor home experience (years with a 5ver), find a service shop you trust (or atleast can work with), learn everything you can about your MH, try not to get frustrated with the poor workmanship and enjoy your rig. Good luck, hope to see you out on the road.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #9424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty103 View Post
First let me say I love my ACE's floor plan, and I love the length. Now, let's talk about quality. The ACE is still in the local RV Dealer repair shop. The awning failed to come in while camping with a storm approaching. I (with help from other campers) removed the motor, rolled it in by hand, zip tied it in and replaced the motor. Each time I hit the button to retract it the fuse blew. Turns out during the build of the unit a screw contacted one of the wires and it rubbed (evidently from driving vibration) into a dead short. Obviously a lack of quality from the manufacturer. Waiting to see what Thor does about it, and the dealer's had it a week already. This on top of the bathroom mirror falling off the wall in the bathroom. It was barely held by a couple of tiny brads. I re-insulated the doghouse as the original insulation was sloppily attached and only about half of it was there to begin with. The passenger window wouldn't lock. The press-board that the bed is on is too big and the edges are extremely rough, I've yet to fix that. A light over the dinette needed replacing. We are constantly finding screws, most of which we have no idea where they came from! I am on the verge of regretting our Thor purchase. Some things are expected when you buy new, but there has been more, since Thor has fixed these I left them out of this discussion. I will wait to see the outcome of Thor's decision and what else goes wrong. OH, I almost forgot...how could I?...the windshield leaks! The dealership that currently has the RV does not sell Thor, so will not work on it, (they are a repair center for the type of awning I had so will work on that).

It looks like you got a bad one. Let me share my experience with my new 2018 Hurricane 31s. On the trip home from the dealer in a rain storm both windshield wipers fell off! Since then there has been toilet leak, bunk bed over cockpit not in sink raising and lowering, emergency brake handle fell off inverter, converter, GFI switch, awning switch, all replaced. Outside kitchen sink doesn’t drain and I could go on but my fingers are getting tired. Fortunately, dealer has been very helpful but we’ve owned it since February and have only used it 11 days. Poor workmanship! They should be regulated by the government like the auto industry. Good luck!