Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
2018 ACE 29.4 fresh water drain

Local weather lady says it going to drop down to 32 degrees just before sunrise tomorrow morning and it got me thinking about draining my freshwater system. Unfortunately nothing I can find in writing or on line specifically fits my application. My old fiver had drains underneath with little valves to drain freshwater, but for unknown reasons the MH doesn't. Short of starting to take thinks apart just to learn (which I plan to do when it gets a little warmer), can someone with the same rig point me in the right direction? This particular chill is very short lived and shouldn't be a problem (we're back in the 60's Friday), but I need to be prepared for future freezes. Also, allegedly these rigs have contained and heated compartments. I'm guessing this means if I'm running the furnace there should be some warm air being pumped in to prevent freezing. Anybody know anything about that system. Thanks in advance for any info.

(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #2

THOR #10956
Not many 29.4 owners out there I guess. I was able to contact Thor and get a few schematics of the plumbing and electrical systems that show me where the freshwater tank and bypass/drain valve is located. The tank is under the closet in the bedroom. I plan to pull the drawers and see what I can see. Seems like a very poorly thought out system.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I will tell you how my 29.3 is set up. Fresh water tank is under the bed with water fill port on passengers side of coach. To drain the fresh tank on the drivers side is where the water pump is located. Before the water pump is a in line valve that is used when winterizing, it stops the flow of water either way. Between that valve and the pump is a connection that when open allows the fresh water tank to drain. The same connection allows the pump to suck up the antifreeze. That is where the in line valve comes into play, have to turn is off so the antifreeze does not go to fresh water tank. I have another low point drain valve past the pump and two at the outside kitchen.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:07 AM   #4

THOR #10956
Thanks for the reply. It would make too much sense for Thor to be relatively consistent between models. In the 29.4 the freshwater tank and pump is underneath the drawers across from bed. If I remove all the drawers I can see the top of the tank; the pump sits right beside it. There is a valve to drain and connection for winterization that if I stand on my head with flashlight in my mouth I can see it. Hard to believe this was the best option for placement and access, but at least I found it.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:53 PM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #29871
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Thanks for the reply. It would make too much sense for Thor to be relatively consistent between models. In the 29.4 the freshwater tank and pump is underneath the drawers across from bed. If I remove all the drawers I can see the top of the tank; the pump sits right beside it. There is a valve to drain and connection for winterization that if I stand on my head with flashlight in my mouth I can see it. Hard to believe this was the best option for placement and access, but at least I found it.
If you remove the kick panel below the drawer (held in with 6 square drive screws) it makes it easier to reach the valve without having to become a contortionist. I see this is an old thread but just signed up for this forum when I came across this with the exact same issue.