Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
ACE 29.3 dog house cover

We just bought a 2016 ACE 29.3 which we like a lot but one thing bothered me from the first time we looked at it. The dog house is just a big piece of plastic. Thor took all the carpet out of the front of the ACE and now all you have is vinyl flooring and a big plastic dog house. I wonder if it would have been quieter if they had retained carpet in this area. Another thought. How long before the vinyl under the driver's feet shows signs of wear, in some cases extreme wear? Which is harder to replace... vinyl or carpet? Just a thought.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

THOR #4032
Dog House Cover

I just viewed a video showing new features for 2017 and they mentioned the dog house cover and claim it is fiberglass. Maybe it is, but it looks like plastic to me. I am considering getting some kind of removable carpet for the driver and passenger area to minimize wear to the vinyl floor area in the future. What do you think?
Old 05-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
We have 2015 and have carpet, gets dirty pretty easily and a pain to clean. I considered taking mine out! Lol. I pulled my engine cover t see about putting sound deadening on the underside. I don't think the carpet really does much for that for what's it's worth.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

THOR #4032
Yup, but we have an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
We have 2015 and have carpet, gets dirty pretty easily and a pain to clean. I considered taking mine out! Lol. I pulled my engine cover t see about putting sound deadening on the underside. I don't think the carpet really does much for that for what's it's worth.
In as much as we are concerned with wear to the vinyl under the drivers feet, we are going to WalMart and purchase a couple small rugs with rubber backing that will not slide around. We figure we can take them and shake them out or throw them in a washing machine if they get too dirty. I hope it works, it seems like a very simple solution. I assume the noise problem likely is what it is and there is no simple solution. Thanks for your imput.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:42 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
That is the best solution I think! I have thought about spraying the underside with foam insulation.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #6

THOR #4032
If you sound proof the dog house.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
That is the best solution I think! I have thought about spraying the underside with foam insulation.
If you sound proof the dog house, please let us know what you used, what it cost, where you got it, and how it worked. I know when the engine is loafing along it is quite pleasant. When going up a hill you cannot hear yourself think.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
I used Dynamat on my Axis - seemed to work well and easy to install:

Amazon.com: Dynamat 11905 Hoodliner 32" x 54" x 3/4" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener: Automotive
Old 06-25-2023, 09:47 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #24717
Doghouse ace

I pulled the carpet out of my 2014 ace used vynal flooring and 3/8 rubber floor mats underneath. Quiet and the smell of old carpet is gone. Also used 4 inch rubber floor cove around the walls and doghouse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70828260149__6F3CADA8-A8A1-4D83-9873-626B2B24A9EB.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	42558  
Old 06-25-2023, 11:02 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Montgomery View Post
We just bought a 2016 ACE 29.3 which we like a lot but one thing bothered me from the first time we looked at it. The dog house is just a big piece of plastic. Thor took all the carpet out of the front of the ACE and now all you have is vinyl flooring and a big plastic dog house. I wonder if it would have been quieter if they had retained carpet in this area. Another thought. How long before the vinyl under the driver's feet shows signs of wear, in some cases extreme wear? Which is harder to replace... vinyl or carpet? Just a thought.
If you are after noise, Hushmat on the inside of the dog house works well. Just be sure it doesn't block the air flow over the intake manifold, as that can cause it to melt from the trapped heat. If heat is a problem, there are several ceramic mats the can be installed. If you travel in the summer is south Texas, that is the first coach mod you make. Most of us have insulated the under floor from the firewall to the end of the raised portion of the drivers compartment. Even on a 100 F degree day my DW does not complain about the floor being hot on her bare feet.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote