Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: Delaware
THOR #5616
towing a car with a trailer

Has anyone towed a car up on a trailer? If so where did you get the trailer? How was it as far as driving and handling? I have a Thor ACE 29.2

Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
I tow a 3450lb dragcar behind my 24.1 Vegas e_450. Use flatbed twin axle car trailer and weighs around 1600. Tows better than either my 1500 Suburban or son 2500 Duramax.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
If you have a front wheel drive car get a tow dolly. Easier to use and will roll most of the way under the coach when you're not using it. I would spend the extra money and get a dolly with surge brakes, nothing to hook or unhook and they work great. Rear wheel drive is a different story. Flat bed trailer or tow bar if compatible, a lot more expensive.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:15 AM   #4

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I'm with SuperD. I'm going to be looking for a dolly with surge brakes in the near future. I currently am towing my Harley Trike behind the MH on a trailer but it is an Aluma trailer that only weighs about 400 pounds. I'm not considering a trailer to tow the car because of the additional weight plus most CG's don't want you to keep a trailer on the same site.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:28 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've seen tow dollies modified and pulling motorcycles. Like I said, since the dolly is so low profile it will slide under the back of a lot of coaches and then no storage problems. I have used both dolly and towbar, prefer the dolly and that will be my next purchase when we start towing again. Lining up a tow bar and hooking up brakes and lights is a PIA!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I prefer trailer over tow dolly. You can back it, as compared to tow dolly. Also can use for other chores. Just my humble opinion.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
I have spoke to numerous RVers who tow, and from what I have learned, the tow dolly with the surge brake system appears to be the way to go for us.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Good point on using the trailer for other things. When I gave up a 5th wheel for a MH the 1-ton truck went also. My aluminum trailer can be used for hauling landscape material, lumber, or other stuff for the home (being pulled by our SUV of course).

I have backed up with my short trike trailer attached but only for 20 or 30 yards. With a shorter MH and longer trailer you may be able to back up longer distances but many would never be able to back around a corner or other reverse maneuvers.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Before picking up our dolly I looked into using a trailer. For my calculations: The trailer cost more to purchase, put me much closer to GCWR and GVWR, and cost more to store (I would have had to purchase another storage spot just for the trailer where we store the RV). Not to mention I'd have had to find a place to store it while camping.

The dolly, on the other hand, easily stores behind the RV (in the storage lot, or when camping), can haul any FWD car, only adds a few hundred lbs, and handles behind the RV very nicely.

Sure we can't back up, but never really had the need to while travelling. Its pretty easy to avoid situations where you'd need to back up.

Unless, of course, you have a specific need for a trailer (race car as mentioned above, or a classic car, etc.).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
Kar Kaddy

Can't beat a Kar Kaddy SS! Has brakes, steerable axle and folds up to fit any where. There's nothing out there I would consider trading mine for. A little more expensive but if you look around you can find good deals (Hint: PPL)
Thanx,
Dan
Old 10-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
We just purchased a Master Tow dolly with surge brakes for our FWD Jeep Renegade. Brought it to our storage area and it stows nicely under the rear of our Hurricane only adding a couple of feet to the overall length. We are looking forward to our first tow this coming week on a road trip to upstate NY... we will be stopping to check straps and fittings fairly often.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote