Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2862
ACE 29.3- would you do it again?

I'm looking at the ACE 29.3 and was wondering... Would you buy it again? Do you mind sharing your punch-list and any mods you've made?

This will be my first rig. I'm trying to decide between the ACE 29.3 and the Siesta 24SR.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New Jersey
THOR #2080
I would

Hi Michael,
I've had mine since May, before that a Class C Sunseeker. We've been up to the coast of Maine and down to Cape Hatteras and a few other local trips. It's very comfortable for us as a couple, but to be honest, it's not big enough for a family with some big kids, you could do 4 smaller children. Our C slept 6 comfortably. We did do 5 days of boondocking in the ACE at the Watkins Glen NASCAR race and that was about the limit before emptying the tanks. Since you're in Texas, the A/C might be a bit weak in some hot weather. It was a bit warm inside while on the beach on some mid nineties days with no shade, at night we were fine, but really you don't want to be inside during the day. We could've helped out with the engine A/C I guess.
I would NOT get the outside kitchen again, it takes up to much room that would go to storage. I'm pretty happy with the ride and power.
When I got it, the hot and cold water were reversed, there was a tiny crack in the windshield, a scratch on the outside passenger mirror and all have been taken care of as part of the warranty.
I hope this helps.

Steve
Old 09-13-2015, 11:23 PM   #3

THOR #2862
Thanks Steve - that was very helpful! I might need to look at something with a stronger A/C then! It does get hot here in July and Aug.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #4

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
We got ours in Jan. Have taken a few short trips. Agree it's for smaller kids. It was doable with a 5'11" son in the overhead bunk and 5'10" daughter curled on couch. AC worked ok in TX, but yes it WORKED. Extra fridge is nice for drinks but will dump contents when opened after drive if not secured. We use a snap strap found in baby latch section at Walmart. Dogs like the kibble station and side foot window. We're getting bathroom door replaced since pantry didn't stay closed and punched hole in door.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 PM   #5

THOR #2862
GMac- did you get yours at mhsrv? Do you have the 13.5 or 15 BTU A/C? Would be for 2 adults and 2 schnauzers, children are not a possibility other than nephew and niece. Their parents have their own towed RV.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #6

THOR #1793
No, bought in Houston/Conroe. Have the 15. That's our plan for 2 adults and dogs since kids are in college and plan to use a a few day get away rig. The AC unit has diverter vents for local living area or all vent distribution. As I said, it worked but ran. We like it cold.
Initially shower faucet leaked behind wall, elect side of water heater failed-wires disconnected inside cabinets, a couple led awning lights quit.
Overall, we like it when we take it out.
Fyi, we tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlmt using a Blue Ox tow bar/baseplate.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:54 PM   #7

THOR #1793
I did consider MHSRV but elected to stay local. Their one night breakin tryout may have been a good idea.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:24 AM   #8

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
My wife and I bought the ACE 29.2 with the over head bed and our 16 year old son sleeps perfect in it, you could sleep 2 no problem in it and the wife and I sleep fine in the rear master. The couch sleeper will sleep 1 adult fine however the dining fold down will only be good for small children. As far as problems go, we live in the high desert and the generator shuts down around 90 degrees while driving - I found out that based on other forms this is not uncommon in this series, still looking for a fix
During our shack down we found alot of sway while driving and was able to correct that by adjusting the sway bar to the rear holes closes to the frame. The house AC works fine for us but could be larger for the desert. The slide behind the driver seat make noise however this is the rubber seal and can be resolved by rubbing baby powder or the dealer has a silicone spay for this.
The driver seat does not go up or down request a different seat that does you will be great full after a few hours on the road .
Other than those items we love it, however on our next one we will know what to ask and look for.

Tags
29.3, ace 29.3