Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A. C. E. 29.3
State: Texas
THOR #1764
29.3 Satellite Box Internal Outlet

Good day.
We have a new A. C. E. 29.3. I have an external satellite dish.
On my previous rig I was able to attach the dish to the outside cable connector, then attach the cable box to the internal cable outlet [it had as switch box]

I do not find an internal cable outlet to attach my satellite box. Is there one? Anyone have any other solutions/ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mark Swiencki

Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
Looking for same info myself.
The way I understand the cable routing and possible connections...
If you connect a satellite antenna to outside receptacle, you still need to connect to a receiver. If you un-mount the signal boost switch you will see 3 cables (roof antenna/tan, ext cable/white and distribution out/black). If you disconnect external source/white, run to receiver then back to previous connection, that may give you satelitte to all three tvs but same channel. Other option would be to use HDMI in cabinet from receiver but mine only feeds dinette tv. Bedroom and outside tv do not share that HDMI. I plan to add/store seperate HDMI cable to outside tv so I can move receiver outside for "tailgating" days.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
You can not use the cable outlet (at least I don't think so) on the rear of the coach if that is what you are thinking. As for a separate outlet for the satellite there is not one I ever found. I mounted my dish on the roof and had to drill and bring the line into the upper right corner of the overhead cabinets right by the tv. I removed that false panel and mounted a cable connection there along with my satellite switch.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

THOR #1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
You can not use the cable outlet (at least I don't think so) on the rear of the coach if that is what you are thinking. As for a separate outlet for the satellite there is not one I ever found. I mounted my dish on the roof and had to drill and bring the line into the upper right corner of the overhead cabinets right by the tv. I removed that false panel and mounted a cable connection there along with my satellite switch.
Thanks for the info on the roof mount. We may go that route in the future.
I was able to connect the box to the rear cable, and I used a component [it is an sd box] directly to the TV.

My goal is to use the cable instead of the component, it would go to all three TVs with the same channel, I've just have to figure out how to program the TV to recognize the cable box, I already passed the cable back out of the box to the RV.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #5

THOR #1764
Satellite/Cable etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
If you connect a satellite antenna to outside receptacle, you still need to connect to a receiver. If you un-mount the signal boost switch you will see 3 cables (roof antenna/tan, ext cable/white and distribution out/black). If you disconnect external source/white, run to receiver then back to previous connection, that may give you satelitte to all three tvs but same channel. Other option would be to use HDMI in cabinet from receiver but mine only feeds dinette tv. Bedroom and outside tv do not share that HDMI. I plan to add/store separate HDMI cable to outside tv so I can move receiver outside for "tailgating" days.
Thanks for the response.
I got most of the way you describe above [see reply to next post.] The all three TV thing is fine w/ me. Thor sent me a handy spreadsheet with the wiring for the ACE models so I'll attach it for others [I hope].
Old 04-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

THOR #1764
A. C. E. Cable Document

Trying attachment again
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 ACE AUDIO-VIDEO-COAX CABLES.pdf (15.3 KB, 484 views)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
THOR #1793
Quote:
If you connect a satellite antenna to outside receptacle, you still need to connect to a receiver. If you un-mount the signal boost switch you will see 3 cables (roof antenna/tan, ext cable/white and distribution out/black). If you disconnect external source/white, run to receiver then back to previous connection, that may give you satelitte to all three tvs but same channel. Other option would be to use HDMI in cabinet from receiver but mine only feeds dinette tv. Bedroom and outside tv do not share that HDMI. I plan to add/store seperate HDMI cable to outside tv so I can move receiver outside for "tailgating" days.
I was successful today! I installed my DISH VIP211Z and Tailgater antenna to my 29.3.

As mentioned above, I disconnected the WHITE EXT/Park cable input from ANT Booster switch and connected to a wall mount dual coax plate. I then ran coax to sat receiver. My VIP211Z has no coax return, only AVI or HDMI. I connected the HDMI from cabinet to receiver and that does feed only dinette tv. I also connected AVI cables to a RF Converter and connected that output back to the coax wall plate. The backside was then reconnected to the original PARK input on the ANT Booster switch.

To view:
Dinette only...select tv source to HDMI = DISH.
All 3 TVs...Select TV as source, ANT booster on = roof ant.
...............Booster OFF, tune tv to Ch3/4 to view DISH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	442  

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:04 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
Quote:
I was successful today! I installed my DISH VIP211Z and Tailgater antenna to my 29.3.

As mentioned above, I disconnected the WHITE EXT/Park cable input from ANT Booster switch and connected to a wall mount dual coax plate. I then ran coax to sat receiver. My VIP211Z has no coax return, only AVI or HDMI. I connected the HDMI from cabinet to receiver and that does feed only dinette tv. I also connected AVI cables to a RF Converter and connected that output back to the coax wall plate. The backside was then reconnected to the original PARK input on the ANT Booster switch.

To view:
Dinette only...select tv source to HDMI = DISH.
All 3 TVs...Select TV as source, ANT booster on = roof ant.
...............Booster OFF, tune tv to Ch3/4 to view DISH.
Kinda the same thing I did, so I could use my Tailgater.

I have since installed a roof mounted dome so I can use that when I have a clear shot at the bird and park cable if available or the Tailgater if I am in the trees, all going through a Quest switch box. I like choices)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabling.sm.jpg
Views:	1624
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	444  
Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 AM   #9

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
I had the exact same problem on my Challenger 37TB. Here is what I posted on another thread. Hopefully it will help.

Had a similar dilemma on our coach with a Dish Tailgater. Long story short - there is not a specific connection in my unit (or according to Thor Customer Support) any other Challenger 37TB. The solution is fairly straightforward. You make a connection that comes in through your unit's cable connection by splitting the signal, then putting in an A/B box and a coaxial modulator. This all sounds complex but it really isn't. Just a bit time consuming.

You can read my post on the particulars at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/tail...tb-243224.html

I had to do part of this before.

Tags
satellite cable