Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Hurricane Sensors - Need power?

Just traded in a old class C for a new Hurricane 35C. While doing the PDI I noticed something strange. When hitting the sensors test button every thing as low, even the battery and Fresh water that was half full according to the salesman. Thought it was a defect and he finally tried something, he put the key in the ignition and turn on (not started). All sensors show correct level.

He stated this is normal that you need to the keys in to test the tanks and battery. I have never heard of that before and still think that is incorrect.

Is this the same for all Thor's? Any Hurricane owners?

Old 02-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Not so in my Hurricane! Sounds like there is a problem! Bad ground perhaps!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Or a dead battery?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I would ask to see the same operation in another Hurricane on the lot. That is not normal operation and I would not accept the coach as is.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
As long as the main house switch is on it should work.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthig View Post
Just traded in a old class C for a new Hurricane 35C. While doing the PDI I noticed something strange. When hitting the sensors test button every thing as low, even the battery and Fresh water that was half full according to the salesman. Thought it was a defect and he finally tried something, he put the key in the ignition and turn on (not started). All sensors show correct level.

He stated this is normal that you need to the keys in to test the tanks and battery. I have never heard of that before and still think that is incorrect.

Is this the same for all Thor's? Any Hurricane owners?
Question: Does your water pump work??

I have a 2016 Miramar 33.5. I've been having an intermittent problem with my sensors on the monitor panel. None work??? My water pump stopped working as well. Everything else on the panel works! When a button is pressed, it will flash dimly and go blank, seems like there is some residual volts floating around in there!
It's happened twice now, I've called the mother ship and spoke with a helpful technician who walked me through a few steps to check the volts.

It seems like it may be a ground issue, I've checked all the connections on the tanks as well as the water pump, everything seems like it's connected snugly,

Your problem sounds similar!! Any input would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brian
Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
As long as the main house switch is on it should work.
Yes, and chassis batteries charged, or plugged into shore power. You do NOT need the ignition key to operate anything on the motorhome power panel.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #8

THOR #3681
Taking it back in for service

Thanks, you all confirmed my expectations. The batteries are fully charged. I tested it with shore power on also. Bottom line the sensors only work when the ignition is on.

Brian, all other switches work fine on the panel; water pump, slide, LPG (Gas / Electric). They even work when no ignition on, just the test for tank level needs car ignition. But, one of the tanks has bad sensors, Mid-Grey. Always full regardless of level. I am sure it's not grease or something else making a connection as this unit was never even in the general sales area. Went straight from dealer delivery to prep for me. That sounds like bad wiring back to the sensors.

1 other issue, is the microwave. Boy does it squeak going down the road. But no noise from the slide outs or anywhere else.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
1 other issue, is the microwave. Boy does it squeak going down the road. But no noise from the slide outs or anywhere else.
Did you remove the revolving glass tray? There should be no other moving parts, and it shouldn't be making any noise down the road.

However, if it was not mounted properly it could be shaking down the road. When parked, make sure the microwave is attached to it's wall bracket. Carefully and gently pull it from the bottom to see if it moves from the wall or cabinet.

That thing can literally kill someone if it becomes unattached unexpectedly.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:31 AM   #10

THOR #3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
Did you remove the revolving glass tray? There should be no other moving parts, and it shouldn't be making any noise down the road.

Yes, not glass and yes it is loose on the wall. I can shake it and hear metal screeching. I'll have them look at that also.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #11

Brand: Entegra
Model: 34B
State: New Jersey
THOR #3523
Quote:
Thanks, you all confirmed my expectations. The batteries are fully charged. I tested it with shore power on also. Bottom line the sensors only work when the ignition is on.

Brian, all other switches work fine on the panel; water pump, slide, LPG (Gas / Electric). They even work when no ignition on, just the test for tank level needs car ignition. But, one of the tanks has bad sensors, Mid-Grey. Always full regardless of level. I am sure it's not grease or something else making a connection as this unit was never even in the general sales area. Went straight from dealer delivery to prep for me. That sounds like bad wiring back to the sensors.

and salesman switch is on? if so the house 12v feed or ground to panel is the likely problem If wiring to sensors was bad it would do the same thing on ign. power
Old 05-25-2016, 08:25 PM   #12

THOR #3681
Update

Wanted to add the findings on this one. Turns out there is 12V power on the grey front sensor line that interferes with both the sensor resistors and the entire panel. The dealer traced it and could not find where the 12V's was being added, although it was somewhere between the panel and the bed as the sensor line after the bed did not have the 12V on it, nor as it left the coach and went underneath to the tank. Pull the kitchen cabinets and found the problem with a line for the lights being directly connected to this sensor switch. I never noticed that the 12v light above the sink did not come on. But now that I fixed also.

Just shows how complex the wiring is.

But after all that, I decided to switch out the sensors with a SeeLevel II system. I'll post that in the mods and update forum.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
My microwave is squeaky as well when on the road, I plan to pad the sides and back with felt pads to see if that eliminates the metal on metal noise.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote