Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
Advise on another problem

I am not sure what to do about a problem that just came to light. I purchased my Four Winds 22E 18 mos ago from a dealer about 100 miles away. I have had my share of quality control issues and have corrected all but 1 on my own and that took 3 trips to the dealer. I could have bought the parts for less than the gas. Today I was going over the RV getting ready for winter and it struck me I had never used the holding tank heaters so I decided to turn them on and check the heat pads attached to the tanks. I waited and waited but the pads never got warm, not even slightly, so I thought from other posts that maybe a wire had come off the switches. I removed the switch panel to check and guess what, NO WIRES, nada, nothing. They were not laying in the bottom of the tray, I could not find them back in the wall. The switches are there, the pads are there but no wiring anywhere. I am not sure if there is anything I can do at this point because it has been 18 mos. I am also not crazy about the idea of the dealer taking things apart to fish wiring through the RV given the quality of workmanship the last time I had them do anything. Has anyone had a issue like this were you did not find a factory problem until after the 12 mos house warranty.
I should have mentioned it was a brand new unit.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
That's crazy, I would call Thor and see what they say. But thanks for bringing that up. Since Thor is known for Quality control issues. I have never checked that on mine but will do so tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #3

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Call Thor Customer Service. At the very least maybe they have a wiring diagram that will show how they are suppose to be hooked up. If they email that to you then you can tell them that you are 100% sure they were never hooked up from the factory. Problem is if they agree to cover the mistake they will tell you to take it back to your dealer.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
They probably have a built in thermostat and will not come on until the temperature reaches a certain low temp, such as 32 degrees - this way you can leave the pads on, but they don't draw amps until needed.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Turner is correct, the heating pads will no come on until the temps drop. I'm not positive but I think they kick in under 40 degrees.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well they won't come on at all if the wires aren't present
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #7

THOR #5196
Very true! Lol
Old 10-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #8

THOR #3119
I was thinking that maybe they just wired them to a thermostat but then I would have to find that so I could cut them off when dry camping and why put labels and switches on the control panel.
I will have to contact Thor about the wiring, the small switches dont look like they could handle the power needed for heating pads and I am wondering if there are suppose to be relays.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

THOR #5196
You can call Thor and ask, also ask them to send you wiring diagrams. I have always found Thor customer service very helpful if I have a problem.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

THOR #3119
OK, so I have to revise part of my complaint. I started digging to figure out how I was going to get the wiring through the cabinets. I pulled the control panel and unplugged the connectors to get it out of the way. I pulled the wiring out of the cabinet hollow and wall in hopes that I could tape wire to it and pull it back from the other side and work the wire slowly to the breaker box area. Well I found what I believe are the heater wires folded over and taped to the bundle. I untapped them and there are 2 green and one black and one grey. The greens are common but there is about 3k ohms between the green and each color and it slowly decreases. So I called Thor and they dont have any drawing to tell them what the wires go to. They are going to try and find out and email me. My guess is the black wire is for the black tank and grey for grey but you know what they say about assuming. So if anyone has had their panel off and looked at the back of the tank heater switches, please let me know. I am going to take pictures of the back of every assembly I remove and every wiring harness I can find. Maybe by the time I sell this thing I will understand the wiring.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A simple thing would be to take a look at the heating pads on the tanks to see what the wire colors there are? Even if you have to remove a panel or crawl under the RV it may be worth it (or use a selfie stick under the coach to grab a photo).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #12

THOR #5196
Jamie, Great idea using selfie stick! I have used inspection mirrors many times but wished I had a picture, using selfie stick would be so easy. Guess now I'm going to have to buy one! Also going to have to retract bad things I have said about people using them!!! Thank you for the great idea!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
I checked out my wiring for holding tank heaters and you are correct the 2 greens are common one to each switch and the black with the stripe is for the Black tank, and gray is for the grey tank.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

THOR #3119
CSimon, thanks very much, that really helps. I hooked them up that way but have been afraid to turn any power on until I heard from Thor. The pads themselves both have red and black wires but they also have thermistors taped to the sides of the tanks and all the wiring runs into plastic loom, then inside. I could not find where they tie into the breaker box but suspect they change wire color again there.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #15

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
for what it's worth, I'll try to post photos of mine
first photo is the face so you can orient to my switch locations
and in the photo showing the back/wires, the heater switches are along the bottom, far from the camera....

Also for what it's worth..... I cannot confirm that my heating pads work. i think they do, but I'm not sure. Haven't been in cold temps that much....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_153508175.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	3231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_153536417.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	3232  

Old 10-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #16

THOR #3119
BLW2 Thanks that is exactly like mine except for the slide switch. I believe mine are working now although the temps are still to warm to be sure, but with a meter on the battery, switching the pads on causes the batt voltage to drop slightly for a second or 2 then it bounces back like the pad came on and the thermostat cut it off.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I have thought a way to test might be to dump a cooler full of ice water into each tank, then switch them on.....
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM   #18

THOR #3119
Good news, Thor did email me the chassis wiring diagram and the control panel wiring. The control panel diagram shows the switches for the tank heaters but no wires connected, just like mine was. Luckily the chassis wiring did show the tank heaters and gave wire colors. If you have a Thor product I would make up a reason to get these and call Thor now before you really need them. They are not easy to read but they do give wiring colors and the position in the plugs.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Jamie, Great idea using selfie stick! I have used inspection mirrors many times but wished I had a picture, using selfie stick would be so easy. Guess now I'm going to have to buy one! Also going to have to retract bad things I have said about people using them!!! Thank you for the great idea!
Nah, you plan on using the selfie stick for a legitimate purpose. Other folks use them because they are idiots and don't give a damn about who they inconvenience or injure in the process. To them a selfie for facebook is worth taking out someone's eye. I also need to get one for the toolbox only.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #20

THOR #5196
Samven, Happy you got the help you needed to fix your problem, aren't motor homes fun! Great that there are so many nice people on this forum willing to help!