Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Unusual Thor Video: Comparing Small vs Smaller RVs

Video titled: What’s the difference between a Class B Van and a Class B+ RV?

Comparing RV sizes isn’t what I find strange, but rather how they did it. Basically, Thor compares a Gemini B+ to a ProMaster B camper van, but anyone who knows RVs can immediately tell it’s a Winnebago Travato, even though they don’t mention it by name.

If Thor were merely comparing RV sizes to educate buyers, why not compare to Airstream Class Bs? Instead they compare to Travato, and conclude the “ProMaster chassis” is pretty good, but for about the same cost you can get a much larger and spacious Gemini instead of the smaller Travato.

Or we could spend nearly twice as much on an Airstream van which makes a Gemini B+ look even better.

P.S. — Otherwise a good vídeo if kept in context that it’s only marketing.

Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's fun to watch these types of videos...
If Winnebago wanted to show how their "B" was superior to Thor's "RUV": I'm sure that they could make that argument too!

There's an old saying:
"Figures don't lie, but liars can figure."
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Thanks for sharing this video. Mrs S and I spent over an hour at the early 2015 Tampa Show, trying to figure out how we could make the Travato work for the way we travel, the stuff we take and the small car we pull. Then, for about the same money the Vegas had everything we wanted. We never looked back.

The Winny folks tell you that their quality is so much higher, but our friends with an ERA (similar to Travato with the Mercedes diesel) had their share of problems, and their maintenance was so much more expensive.

The Gemini came out later, but for about the same $$ (correct me if I am wrong) we would get a much bigger Vegas. Your preferences will vary....
Old 04-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #4

THOR #2121
If we look at RVs on basis of how much size we get for the dollar, then yeah, Class Bs will never be competitive. Neither will Class B+.

Still, why didn’t Thor compare Gemini to Airstream Interstate? In video they mention how much smaller the Travato bathroom is compared to the Gemini’s. But the bathrooms in the Interstates are much smaller than the Travato’s. And the Interstate cost about 50% more.

They also show the Travato’s front bed (small bed for children or one adult) takes much longer to assemble than the Gemini’s dinette, but Interstate camper vans don’t even have front beds. And the rear beds in Interstate are a folding couch, whereas the Travato has a dedicated bed.

Just saying that Thor knows that Class B value isn’t really measured in cubic feet of space per dollar, otherwise the Airstream Interstate is a horrible purchase. Why spend $165k for a van when you can get a huge Class A for same price?
Old 04-07-2018, 01:53 AM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

....cut....

The Gemini came out later, but for about the same $$ (correct me if I am wrong) we would get a much bigger Vegas. Your preferences will vary....
You are correct on cost. However, a diesel Gemini should get about double the MPG as an Axis/Vegas, plus I’d expect a better ride also — more automotive and less truck-like. It should be easier to drive, park, and maneuver as well.

Having stated the obvious, I also think that once you go larger than a Class B that can be parked at home, or in standard parking spots, can be used as a second car, and eliminates need for a toad, then you might as well go “bigger” because it doesn’t add much if any to cost. In my opinion that’s why rigs like Gemini have limited market in US.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:27 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I just like small RVs of all kinds! Those RVs have vastly different purposes to me. I want both kinda sorta had them both at one time or another... always a compromise somewhere.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I just like small RVs of all kinds! Those RVs have vastly different purposes to me. I want both kinda sorta had them both at one time or another... always a compromise somewhere.
Just got my MotorHome magazine and they review a small Class C Winnebago View that got 18.17 MPG; and it’s larger than most Mercedes or Transit B+.

Thinking it was unfair to compare gas versus diesel fuel economy, I researched some owners of gasoline Transit B+, and they report up to 12.8 MPG while towing a Smart car. With Diesel engines many report 15~17 MPG.

Like you I also like small, but it’s not space but rather floorplans I find more compromised. American manufacturers are going with Euro-styling (like cabinets, windows, etc.) but are sticking with old floorplan layouts.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
That 24G floor plan ... do you think somebody could actually get in the bathroom with the slide in? Form doesn't seem to follow function these days.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
That 24G floor plan ... do you think somebody could actually get in the bathroom with the slide in? Form doesn't seem to follow function these days.
On drawing the bathroom door looks very tight. However, I’d worry about weight even more. The 24G floorplan has two slides, whereas the 24J that MotorHome magazine tested only has 1 slide. And that tested unit only has “Realistic Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity” of 1,170 pounds. The floorplan with two slides has to be much worse.

On smaller and lighter-duty “Euro” chassis I’d prefer to see Euro floorplans that normally avoid slides. It saves weight and reduces cramped house during travel.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
These two rigs are built to fulfill the needs of folks that are perhaps looking for two completely different experiences...
Good things CAN come in smaller packages: if that's what you're looking for!
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #11

THOR #2121
Apparently more and more buyers are looking for experiences they can do in smaller rigs. Sales reported through first three months of 2018:

Class Bs — 37.9% Gain

Class Cs — 9.1% Gain

Class As — Down 3.2%

Thor is the indisputable sales leader in Class As and Cs, but lags well behind Winnebago and Hymer in the fastest-growing Class B segment.

SSI: 'B' Sales On a Roll; Gain 37.9% for 3 Months | RV Business

SSI: Motorized Sales Edge up 3.6% For 3 Months | RV Business
Old 05-13-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
By any "chance": do you have the actual percentage of total sales; that each of the various motorhome types comprise?