Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Which coach do you have, knowing that perhaps more suggestions can be made to decrease your temps.

Thor Freedom Elite 29FE definitely try the adding of the vent from Amazon and hope I can find You Tube of install. Wonder if those outside window covers provide much value in heat conservation? We have a cheap shade reflector for the front windshield and use the curtain provided.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJanTan View Post
Thor Freedom Elite 29FE definitely try the adding of the vent from Amazon and hope I can find You Tube of install. Wonder if those outside window covers provide much value in heat conservation? We have a cheap shade reflector for the front windshield and use the curtain provided.
Installing the vent is simple. Remove the two filters from the inside cover, then remove the four screws holding the cover in place. The exhaust or output air is usually at the rear and this is where you will need to cut the hole for the vent. Measure the diameter and the use a compass to draw a circle centered on the vent cover, at the rear where the exhaust is. Drill a hole inside the circle and then using a jigsaw cut out the opening. Use 4 #8 x 5/8" panhead stainless steel screws to mount the vent and then snap on the trim ring. Reinstall the cover with the four screws and put the filters back in place, you're done. 30 min tops if you goof off while installing.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
I just thought about how much colder the air was coming out of my Jeep AC and wondered if anyone had that in their coach. I know different systems, thermodynamics, Yada Yada. I asked a poor question. Just looking for suggestions for helping to cool coach.
Now that's a question we can work with!

Unfortunately, your roof AC will not compare to your Jeep's system for many reasons, but to make it better you have to handle the heat input.

Sounds like you have a good start with reflective window shades for the windshield and closing the cab curtain. The suggestion to block the 14"x14" vents is good as well. That just leaves the side windows. A lot of people just buy the reflectix and cut it and put it in the windows.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-1...5-ft-L/3011906

I went one step further and also purchased a corrugated panel:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kamo-Panel-...Panel/50113730

Apparently no longer available online but may be in your local store.

Cut the panel into sizes that fit my windows, used spray-on glue and glued the reflectix to it, and used these panels in the side windows to cut down on heat input.

Parking your coach in the shade is also a huge help.

With my ACE 27.1 and 15K AC here in Florida, on a 95+ degree day sitting in direct sunlight, I can turn on the AC at 3:00 pm so I can start working in it at 5:00 PM. When I first turn it on it is over 100 degrees inside, by 5:00 it is in the 80's but realize you are not just cooling the air in the coach, but everything inside it as well as the walls and roof.

While camping, or if I start the AC first thing in the morning, I can easily keep the coach temps in the low 70s (where the thermostat is set).

I hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #24

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
A good heat shield on the windshield is a good investment. I suggest checking all your acces panel areas around your rv. I found numerous areas that plumbing, ductwork and electrical wiring ran through that had unsealed holes allowing heat and cold to enter the living area. Here is a perfect example. Access holes cut way larger than needed. This area leads into the bedroom cabinet. I filled these areas with spray foam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5690  
Old 07-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #25

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittntherooad View Post
A good heat shield on the windshield is a good investment. I suggest checking all your acces panel areas around your rv. I found numerous areas that plumbing, ductwork and electrical wiring ran through that had unsealed holes allowing heat and cold to enter the living area. Here is a perfect example. Access holes cut way larger than needed. This area leads into the bedroom cabinet. I filled these areas with spray foam
OH yea. That flexible duct hanging down is for heating the black and grey tank area. I stuffed fiberglass insulation in it. If I ever camp in below freezing temps I can just pull it out. I see no need for it on normal cold nights.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #26

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The AC in our coach will drop inside temps by 20 to 25 degrees or so, not a lot of insulation on them. Our AC at home, however, even when the outside temps are 100+ will output air at 46 degrees.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #27

State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Definitely need to check for gaps that let air escape. Only one other time I could not keep camper below 80 degrees all day long. Lake Meade near Vegas in full sun and during heat of the day up to 85 in camper but 105 outside. Only upper 90s here at Myrtle Beach and have pretty good partial shade. Coach temp at 82 or so during heat of the day. Just trying to make DW more comfortable in midday heat. Of course AC gets plenty cold at night. Again thanks to all. Gave me some things to look at. Any other helpful replies appreciated.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Definitely need to check for gaps that let air escape. Only one other time I could not keep camper below 80 degrees all day long. Lake Meade near Vegas in full sun and during heat of the day up to 85 in camper but 105 outside. Only upper 90s here at Myrtle Beach and have pretty good partial shade. Coach temp at 82 or so during heat of the day. Just trying to make DW more comfortable in midday heat. Of course AC gets plenty cold at night. Again thanks to all. Gave me some things to look at. Any other helpful replies appreciated.
A likely big difference between these two locations is humidity in ambient (outside) air that the air conditioner must remove. When outside air is more humid the A/C normally has to work harder due to typical air leaks or opening the doors. To reduce maximum load on A/C it's also good to schedule creating humidity in RV until periods when A/C has excess capacity. Hot showers can add a lot of humidity, as can cooking in middle of day.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #29

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
ACE 27.3 15k. Temp if the wife is cool it's working fine!