Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2020, 04:54 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Thank you all! The Tech checked it out today and I need a new compressor, thankful I am still under warranty.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:13 AM   #22

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfield3 View Post
Thank you all! The Tech checked it out today and I need a new compressor, thankful I am still under warranty.

warranty repair EXCELLENT
Old 01-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #23

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlin Kid View Post
It was on the roof inside the ac shroud. It is the only relay there.
It is known in the electric/a/c world as a contactor. Not a relay.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #24

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Why? He has an Automatic Transfer Switch that will automatically switch to generator power (after the timed warm-up period) even if he is plugged into SP. Unless you think it will affect his troubleshooting procedure in some way?
If he is not trained in electric trouble shooting it the the safest way to stay alive.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If he is not trained in electric trouble shooting it the the safest way to stay alive.
That makes no sense in the context where Mulva said "Be sure to disconnect shore power while testing the generator as your power source."

And last I checked a relay was "an electrical device, typically incorporating an electromagnet, which is activated by a current or signal in one circuit to open or close another circuit." Doesn't matter if it is in an AC or DC circuit. I agree that "relays" in larger AC motor circuits are called contactors.
" Devices switching more than 15 amperes or in circuits rated more than a few kilowatts are usually called contactors. Apart from optional auxiliary low-current contacts, contactors are almost exclusively fitted with normally open ("form A") contacts. Unlike relays, contactors are designed with features to control and suppress the arc produced when interrupting heavy motor currents."
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:53 PM   #26

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That makes no sense in the context where Mulva said "Be sure to disconnect shore power while testing the generator as your power source."

And last I checked a relay was "an electrical device, typically incorporating an electromagnet, which is activated by a current or signal in one circuit to open or close another circuit." Doesn't matter if it is in an AC or DC circuit. I agree that "relays" in larger AC motor circuits are called contactors.
" Devices switching more than 15 amperes or in circuits rated more than a few kilowatts are usually called contactors. Apart from optional auxiliary low-current contacts, contactors are almost exclusively fitted with normally open ("form A") contacts. Unlike relays, contactors are designed with features to control and suppress the arc produced when interrupting heavy motor currents."
Thank you for that information. I never heard of that in all my 50 years as a Master Electrician! We were talking about 50 amp Service Transfer switches.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #27
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Thank you for that information. I never heard of that in all my 50 years as a Master Electrician! We were talking about 50 amp Service Transfer switches.
I'm not saying you were wrong calling it a contractor, in the 120 VAC work the names are pretty much interchangeable, I'm just point out that the term relay in an RV Air conditioner was not wrong either.

In your work experience they were probably all called contactors by the manufacturers. In my mind/work experience I think on relays as controlling a single current path with one set of NO or NC contacts. I think of contactors as having multiple sets of contacts, some NO, some NC, controlled by a low voltage signal. I don't think the use of either term in any context is wrong, I'll know what you mean, and schematics can go either way as well.

In the RV world I would think of the relay in a thermostat/Air Conditioner as a relay and the ATS as a contactor.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote