Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SB Super C
State: Arizona
THOR #11482
Chateau Super C - DEF fill up isn't working, need help!

Hi all,

We have a 2018 Chateau 35SB super c and need to get DEF into the DEF tank here in the next 100 miles. Problem is that nothing we try works. The hose from the nozzle to the tank goes up, not down, so it is impossible to get it to fill. We have done what the Ford manual says (purchased the Motorcraft DEF and nozzle thing to create a seal) and no dice. I am worried that even a DEF tank at a gas station will just spill back on to us. I am at my wits end with this motorhome and it is only two months old. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Liz

Old 06-27-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Liz, so you have the main line and the smaller vent line connected to the blue DEF cap. Then continue to the tank. Does it go through the spray insulation out of the back of the compartment. I'm thinking they just pushed to much of the hose into the compartment area when they sealed it with the spray foam. Can you get to the other side of compartment and pull it down? This would take the high spot out of the fill hose.
I'm just guessing, so if you could post a picture it may help. ED K
Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #3

THOR #11482
Here are two pictures. We took a look underneath and it is totally clear, runs up over a bar, but nothing is impeding it. It just doesn't make any sense. How do you fill yours?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8494.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	11017

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8495.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	11018
Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #4
Edk

THOR #7856
Ok so mine is a 2016 sk. And is mounted in the first compartment directly behind the driver. In your case it does look crazy the way that bracket holding the fill cap is so low. Could you remove the screws holding the fill tube to the bracket, pull it back and than pull it out straight and fill it. ED K
Old 06-27-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
Edk

THOR #7856
Ok so mine is a 2016 sk. And is mounted in the first compartment directly behind the driver. In your case it does look crazy the way that bracket holding the fill cap is so low. Could you remove the screws holding the fill tube to the bracket, pull it back and than pull it out straight and fill it. ED K
Old 06-27-2018, 02:11 AM   #6

THOR #11482
That is what we ended up doing and when the hose wasn't down so far, it filled just fine. Quite a pain in the butt and obviously not how I assume Thor intended it to be. One more thing to add to our list of things to fix when we return. Thank you for your quick response and advice!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Mine is a 2018 and the hose is not mounted in that bracket. My first thought after looking at your pictures is the bracket holds it too low. It's a stupid design but my hose is just loose and pushed back into that compartment. They probably figured that out and quit installing the bracket. Glad you got it fixed. Haven't filled tank yet but should probably test it out before it runs low at 2AM in somewhere, USA.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Edk

THOR #7856
One other point, when yall fill the tank fill it up completely around 5 gal. There are sensing rods in there that figure out the level, sending a display to your dash readout. If you dont fill to top it still may show 100miles. Throws everthing off. Also after filling it will reset the display after a few engine start cycles. I used to add def when I changed the oil, but its better to add when the display indicates the low level. Just my experience. Ed K
Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #9

THOR #11130
It would be nice to carry extra with you but that stuff has a short shelf live when exposed to heat. If you get a stale batch you get readouts of poor quality. I have a 2011 GMC HD and called the Blue DEF product techs a few years back. He said make sure you buy it at high volume truck stops with quick inventory turn over and don't try to stockpile it. I don't use truck stop pumps for fuel as the flow is to high for the nearly horizontal fuel fill port, so I will have to buy the 2.5gallon jugs. Seems you're never anywhere near a fresh stock when to light comes on. The containers now have manufactured dates on them as a result of this time sensitive quality issue.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I had problems filling up the first time. I had purchased a 2.5 gallon container and it had a flex spout on it. But, more came out the nozzle than went into the tank. I checked and yep, the fill pipe went uphill. My solution was to go to O’Reily Auto Parts and purchase a funnel. The funnel has a twist valve at the bottom. However, the clear plastic tube was not very long. So, I went to Lowe’s and purchased a package of 1/2” ID clear plastic tubing. The package contained 10 feet. I stuck the tubing down the filler pipe as far as it would go (made sure to go past the low point of the filler tube) and than cut the tubing with enough to allow the funnel to be about 1 foot above the fill spout. I than took the clear plastic tubing off the bottom of the funnel and put the funnel on the new length of tubing stuck down the filler pipe. With the twist valve at the bottom I was able to regulate the flow of DEF into the filler. My wife would pour the DEF into the funnel and then I would open the twist valve and control the flow. It worked great. Here is a link to the funnel we used. Took a bit of time but with the twist valve I was able to make sure to regulate the flow to prevent any from coming back through the filler pipe.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...=Funnels&pos=1
Old 07-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #11

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
I have a 2017 sk with about 3500 miles at what point will the idiot light come on to fill def
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 AM   #12

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas M View Post
I have a 2017 sk with about 3500 miles at what point will the idiot light come on to fill def

The alert will be when you have only enough DEF for 500 miles. And each time you start the engine after that. Mine does have a gauge that shows the current level.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #13

THOR #11130
That alert also knows available inventory for the area you are in. Seems there is never a drop around when the light goes on. I generally try to fill tank when it gets half empty. My GMC will slow you to 55 MPH for a few miles then you get the "5 MPH warning on the next engine start". Haven't experienced how the Ford computer on the 55 works with DEF and don't want to know. Keep it full...and fresh.