Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SB
State: Kentucky
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
Anxiously awaiting delivery of 2017 Chateau 35SB

Hi all! I am new to the forum but am a long time rv'r. Currently own (but just sold!) a 2012 Four Winds 31A. Expecting delivery of our 35SB in early October. This will be our first diesel. We (I should say my boys, 9 & 12, & me more so than my better half & 14yo daughter) are frothing at the bit!!! Delivery can't get here soon enough!!!

I am interested in hearing from any other owners who may have tips or advice concerning Super C's or diesels in general. More specifically, does anybody know where I can get a good pre-delivery inspection checklist for a Super C like this? I want to be fully prepared when the day comes

Thanks,
Jim

Old 09-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Hi Nite! yes we have a super C 35sf---you will LOVE the desel and the power---very quiet--

we did a basic PDI (several lists available on the web, etc) but we also had them hook up to water....we did a test drive and I said it needed an alignment- the dealer said okay, drive it 1000 miles, get it aligned and I will pay you for that. So we did and it really really needs it from the factory-the alignment and the steering wheel both-about 150.00 at the ford truck Service near us--the Ford info is there's the camper/house side is thor for the most part. We also had them run the furnace- do the slides,level with the jacks,looked at all the drawers and cabinets....make sure you know where your water pump is...(ours is under the bed-in a bad pot if ever needs maintainence0 we checked all A/C....the awning, the TV's.....ran the generator....make sure you know about your switches as afar as use switch,steps,inverter...make sure frig runs on inverter while parked too.....we also spent several "trips" in the driveway- downloaded manuals for the other things that were not in the owners packet like jacks, radio,slides.....except for an issue with the Lippert Jacks after our third outing (was the controller and they replaced it right away) this RV has been spectacular. No real craftsmanship issues....the Ford truck parts work well, everything drives and runs smoothly!! ENJOY!!!!!!we did get surge protector, tweaked the auto gen settings, put on tire monitoring, and bought good sewer hoses! Just personalizing it---did have the generator oil changed after its break-in hours...did have the A/C in the bedroom duct work re taped it was sweating because it had come loose...other than that just weekends right now- first big trip in October.....
Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

THOR #5426
Thanks for the tips, WillowRun. I'll do some searching online.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #4

THOR #5426
I am interested in adding a tire pressure monitoring system. Do you have any recommendations on brand, type, etc...?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
EEZ TPMS. Have had very good success with it and customer service is great.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
When you take delivery the dealer is supposed to give you a COMPLETE pre-delivery run through of all the systems on the coach! Thor provides the dealer with a checklist that they are supposed to complete with you, sign, and return to Thor. Thor is getting very good at customer service and they want to insure a good experience. Even though I have had several coaches over the years, the dealer still insisted on completing a checklist to make sure I knew where everything was and how it worked. Good for Thor to being more proactive with their dealers and the delivery process!!!

The Ford chassis your coach is on is a good one, Ford has been making them a long time and does a good job!

Congratulations on your new coach! Hope you and your family enjoy MANY happy miles together!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
When I took delivery of my unit last November from a dealer in Kentucky, there was no checklist and nothing they made me sign other than the loan papers. I assume this all depends on the dealer and in most cases, they just want your money or signature and then get you out the door. There are some exceptions, an exceptional dealer, but they are few. In my case, I would have spent an additional $10-15K if I purchased locally in PA. As I have said in other threads, if you have the opportunity to stay at a campground local to the dealer or in the dealers lot, at least for a night or two, this puts the dealer on standby to work out your coach issues so you can eventually head home with more peace of mind.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
When I took delivery of my unit last November from a dealer in Kentucky, there was no checklist and nothing they made me sign other than the loan papers. I assume this all depends on the dealer and in most cases, they just want your money or signature and then get you out the door. There are some exceptions, an exceptional dealer, but they are few. In my case, I would have spent an additional $10-15K if I purchased locally in PA. As I have said in other threads, if you have the opportunity to stay at a campground local to the dealer or in the dealers lot, at least for a night or two, this puts the dealer on standby to work out your coach issues so you can eventually head home with more peace of mind.
Staying at a campground local for a couple days is a great idea. My BIL just bought a new Crusader and the dealer paid for him to stay at a local campground for 1 night. He did have an AC issue which they fixed the next day.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Obviously some dealers take the responsibility of delivery more seriously than others, what a shame! Of course car dealers are no different!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #10

THOR #5426
Thanks for all the feedback. We are going to try and stay in their lot one night. I didn't see any campgrounds nearby. I've gathered a couple PDI checklists off the web. Just need to go through them and figure out which one fits best. I'm hoping the dealer is pretty thorough on the walk-through. Lord knows after being on this forum, we're gonna grill the heck out him!!!

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
We are looking at a super c as our next unit but can anyone tell me what the weight carrying capacity is on one. Thor doesn't publish those as they say they weigh each one. Our 31W non super C only has a 1100 lbs capacity and we're a little over that when we had it weighed.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

THOR #5426
Hey Druff. I don't have a clear answer for you but check out this link.

Understanding RV Weights

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #13

THOR #5432
Oh I get all that, I am just wondering what the yellow sticker in one reads for actual weight. The local dealer doesn't have them but they can order one. I'm sure a salesperson could find out I was just wondering from someone who has one.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #14

THOR #5426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druff View Post
Oh I get all that, I am just wondering what the yellow sticker in one reads for actual weight. The local dealer doesn't have them but they can order one. I'm sure a salesperson could find out I was just wondering from someone who has one.
Well, I was hoping to respond to you today with what my yellow sticker said when I picked up my 35SB. As luck would have it, got the call yesterday from my dealer that there were "issues" that needed to be fixed. Waiting on an update today to see if I can pick it up next week!

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
Old 10-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #15

THOR #4425
Hope your new Super C is good to fo when you pick her up!
As far as cargo carry capacity....I actually called Thor.....he told me where the sticker was,but the numbers over the phone semmed right. It weighs 19500 and has a dry weight of 16706 . that gives me 2794.carrying capacity........so those are the numbers not towing for us!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

THOR #4425
Jim and Amy....make sure you know the levelers very well! And where all the controllers are for the slides,the jacks,the water,the 50 amp bus fuse under the step and the inverter! We love love love ours! Hooe your beauty is good on pick up!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #17

THOR #5432
Thank you, that sounds like plenty of capacity to me, our 5th wheel had about that and we never even got close to it. Towing in a super C should be no problem, they have a combined rating of 35,000. That gives you 15,500 lbs left for towing, heck you could tow three pickups with that.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #18

THOR #5426
Unhappy

Well, at least we have picture of it!

The are two primary issues keeping us from picking it up. Apparently, the LP line that runs from the tank to the rear of the RV (I assume this is the quick-disconnect line?) had a cut in it. Supposedly, the dealer ordered it from Thor last Thursday but as of this morning, no word on when it will deliver to the dealership. Very frustrating considering the dealer is only about 3 hours from Thor!!! I'm about ready to drive to Elkhart myself!

Also, the bathroom door wouldn't close properly. I've been told that the wall around the door has to be disassembled and rebuilt. Lord only knows how long that's going to take.

I guess we'll be using the 31A this weekend one last time!

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800

Tags
35sb, chateau, diesel motorhomes, super c