Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #12326
anyone been to glamis or sand in their axis/vegas?

Hey all, I am gearing up for thanks giving at glamis but this year it will be with my 24.1 vegas for the first time. I gave up the DP a few months ago so I was wondering if anyone has been camping in the washes at glamis or in a sandy area in theirs and how it either plows along or stops short with the smaller tires. will have enclosed trailer with sandrail, gas, wood ect in tow. please share experience. thanks

Old 11-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Not sure what Glamis is but it sounds like "beach"? Don't!! Watch the videos on YouTube of the RV's at Pismo.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sort of beach: Dunes (look here (Google Earth)).

There is a former Axis/Vegas owner on here who used to "off road" with is RUV frequently (although I don't think he ever did in sand).

Is that hard packed? Did you ever take your DP there? (If the DP didn't have any issues I would think the Vegas wouldn't either--except for the low ground clearance)

Edit: Looking at streetview it certainly looks hard packed.

Edit 2: Further looking at streetview pics there are plenty of motorhomes there that don't have a problem. I would think that if its flat enough (e.g. ground clearance again) you wouldn't have any either.

Of course this is all my observations from looking at Google (from 2000 miles away LOL) someone with first hand knowledge would be far more accurate.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #4

THOR #12326
yes its hard packed. thousands of rv's camp there. Just looking for someone who has done the same as I that have bought a vegas or axis if they had any first hand experience taking there. been many yrs with the DP. appreciate the replies
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 34E
State: North Carolina
THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBaby!!! View Post
Hey all, I am gearing up for thanks giving at glamis but this year it will be with my 24.1 vegas for the first time. I gave up the DP a few months ago so I was wondering if anyone has been camping in the washes at glamis or in a sandy area in theirs and how it either plows along or stops short with the smaller tires. will have enclosed trailer with sandrail, gas, wood ect in tow. please share experience. thanks
1st it's been years (30 years) since I've been to Glamis with my Class C plus trailer with sand rail, 350 bike and ATC, wood and all the extras but then going down the washes was easy and most of the parking off the wash road is solid enough to get around fine, just go slow. Was there about 5 years ago in a friend's Class A with no problems. That's one of the few things I miss about living in the California, we dirt biked , water skied, and Duned all within a few hours drive.

Make sure you have reservations so you have parking

Pismo Beach is a whole different story, there you just hire the tow truck to pull you to the parking spot and they come back when you are ready to leave and pull you out.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I agree, if its firm and flat you should be fine. I have seen several websites where the owners enjoyed the sandy beaches. Looks like fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Of course this is all my observations from looking at Google (from 2000 miles away LOL) someone with first hand knowledge would be far more accurate.
Now Jamie G lets not exaggerate..... Technically they are 100 to 300 miles away for the "USA" Satilights. LOL

But some go as high as 400 miles according the the old interweb.

You been keeping me on my toes when I post something that was not 100% so I thought I owed you the favor.

But the moon is 252,088 miles away (incase your wondering -)
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Following Jamie's lead, Glamis looks like they are well prepared for RV's...hard packed sand. Plus...no salt like you have at Pismo. I've seen those 5th wheels being drug through the tidal pools at Pismo...make me thing it's "Daddy's RV" moreso than the owner. If the person driving is also the person making the payments...it will last 10 times longer. Glamis looks like fun...send pictures!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I agree, if its firm and flat you should be fine. I have seen several websites where the owners enjoyed the sandy beaches. Looks like fun.

Now Jamie G lets not exaggerate..... Technically they are 100 to 300 miles away for the "USA" Satilights. LOL

But some go as high as 400 miles according the the old interweb.

You been keeping me on my toes when I post something that was not 100% so I thought I owed you the favor.

But the moon is 252,088 miles away (incase your wondering -)
LOL! Well by 2,000 miles I meant "I'm 2000 miles away comfortably sitting in my office" not that the satellites are that far away (and technically some of the Google Earth pics are taken by planes which are more likely 1-5 miles up).

Even then I'm: 1,832 miles (straight line distance), or 2,190 miles (if I drove it) away from Glamis, CA.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #9

THOR #13360
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Following Jamie's lead, Glamis looks like they are well prepared for RV's...hard packed sand. Plus...no salt like you have at Pismo. I've seen those 5th wheels being drug through the tidal pools at Pismo...make me thing it's "Daddy's RV" moreso than the owner. If the person driving is also the person making the payments...it will last 10 times longer. Glamis looks like fun...send pictures!
Back in the day (30 years ago) Thanksgiving at Glamis was 25,000 people, now it's crowded!

Lots of great memories of trips to the sand box, I keep volunteering to fly out to go with friends. I miss driving the sand rail and riding the bike with a paddle tire
Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #10

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL! Well by 2,000 miles I meant "I'm 2000 miles away comfortably sitting in my office" not that the satellites are that far away (and technically some of the Google Earth pics are taken by planes which are more likely 1-5 miles up).

Even then I'm: 1,832 miles (straight line distance), or 2,190 miles (if I drove it) away from Glamis, CA.
Oh, Ok, I will buy that one.....This time. LOL. But im watching you.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 11-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #11

THOR #12326
back from my week boondocking it at Glamis. Towing full 18' enclosed trailer with sandrail, quad and 35 gal of gas. 220 miles one way. Plenty of power going up the grades, would hit 4k rpm. could have gone higher but I don't push my cars to their max and I was doing 60 anyway. on the straights I would cruise 65-70 with ease. Easy to drive I do have sumos on front and love them. I do feel big rigs and other RV's but its not uncomfortable. Camp was about 200 yards off dirt road in the hard packed sand/ dirt area so I came in a little hot being first time with the vegas out there. She did great no problem at all with traction or bumps. Even leaving was able to back up and go forward without a slip. was very happy. Leveling with the bigfoot hydros I installed was a breeze. the large pads didn't even dig into the sand thinking because the coach is fairly light compared to others with hydro levelers. Everything on the coach worked without a hitch even the awning rolled in by itself when It got windy and we where out on a ride. with being out for 5 days I will need to add extra water to my trailer to refill the vegas tank. We where very carefull with the water usage and ran out last day. the black tank was reading 3/4 full on day 3 so was worried but we made it. I don't like the heater set up. thermostat is in bedroom and the return air is under closet. when we have the rear bathroom door open to close off bedroom, the rest of coach is freezing. I will look into finding a thermostat with a remote sensor to mount in either the return air area or a wall near the front of coach. We close the bedroom door cause we have kids. All in all a great trip in the vegas.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #12

THOR #13360
Glamis

Glad you made it out alive! Thanksgiving can go either way fun or somebody got hurt and wound up run the hospital.
That's one of the things I miss about living in the South Bay area, no dunes to run here in NC. Post pictures of your rail and rig
Old 11-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #13

THOR #12326
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	14309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	14310  

Old 11-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #14

THOR #12326
its powered by a turbo hayabusa
Old 11-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #15

THOR #13360
Quote:
its powered by a turbo hayabusa
What the heck is a hayabusa?
My old car was VW powered rear engine the middies are great until you get stuck. A friend has a Ponitac V6 with a blower in a mid engine. Programed the CPU to 350 hp on pump gas. Unbelievable what is in the dunes these days.
Thanks for the pic, makes me home sick for the smell of the sand. And beers at the bar. Is Dirty Bob's still open, he's probably dead by now

Do you night dune? That was really fun at 50mph
Old 11-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #16

THOR #12326
hayabusa is out of a Suzuki gsxr race motorcycle. its 1300cc NA is 175 HP. turbo'd ive got 300 HP. the car is only 900 pounds. moves pretty good. Used to look forward to night rides when younger and on quads. now we really have to be worked up about going out on night ride. ive gone on a few where everything went south in the cold night.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #17

THOR #13360
Quote:
hayabusa is out of a Suzuki gsxr race motorcycle. its 1300cc NA is 175 HP. turbo'd ive got 300 HP. the car is only 900 pounds. moves pretty good. Used to look forward to night rides when younger and on quads. now we really have to be worked up about going out on night ride. ive gone on a few where everything went south in the cold night.
I could tell by the sand tires that you had some HP it looks like a short wheel base?
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM   #18

THOR #12231
That looks like a lot of fun. Glad it worked out for you. Im glad to hear that Big Foot did so well in sand.

Yep the thermostat in the bedroom is not a good idea. Should have been in the main room or hallway IMO. But our RV's are so small so im sure that limits the location some.

Have you change out to a digital one yet? It works much better than the OEM state that mine had but if your door is closed that still wont help with even temps.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:52 AM   #19

THOR #12326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. Glad it worked out for you. Im glad to hear that Big Foot did so well in sand.

Yep the thermostat in the bedroom is not a good idea. Should have been in the main room or hallway IMO. But our RV's are so small so im sure that limits the location some.

Have you change out to a digital one yet? It works much better than the OEM state that mine had but if your door is closed that still wont help with even temps.
Have not done it yet. I am a HVAC contractor lol and with all the different options I haven't narrowed down one yet for her. the existing one sucks though. its like it has a 5 degree temp swing to it witch bugged the heck out of me on this first real trip with her.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:04 AM   #20

THOR #13360
Heater

Just give up and throw a mini split on the roof and everything will be perfect.
Put one in the basement (house) best money we've spent in years