Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Anyone else, stairwell failing!!!

Looking for others and opinions. Stairwell inside has come loose from sidewall, floor dropping near outside door, and spongy every time u step on outside stairs. Definitely a structural failure and a must fix ASAP.

Had 2 RV repair folks look at and both say Thor left out any kind of bracing/support from frame to outside to support weight of person stepping on outside stairs. Both purpose a framework from floor framing to outside wall under stairwell.

Anyone else? Thought about calling Thor but figured all I'd hear is "NO". It is a 2014 Hurricane 34E I purchased used from non-Thor dealer. Thx, Dennis.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
Our 2017 Quantum had an issue with the sidewall starting to pull out from the steps. Thor covered under warranty. Had additional bracing and fastening added. Had similar issue on Drivers side below full wall slide. Had to add more support there as well. Covered by warranty luckily.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #3

THOR #6181
I’m sure they could fix it under a good will fix but I don’t see them offering much free assistance to anyone. The guys I asked about this said the bracing should have been there but they also said good luck trying!!!
I may call just for giggles!!! Thx Dennis.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #4

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
I’m sure they could fix it under a good will fix but I don’t see them offering much free assistance to anyone. The guys I asked about this said the bracing should have been there but they also said good luck trying!!!
I may call just for giggles!!! Thx Dennis.
Get some L shaped brackets with at least 1/2" screws. Make sure you don't drill into something you don't want to by looking at both sides of the board if you can. Might could try a Steel plate cut and drilled to size.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 AM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Sinking feeling

Quote:
Looking for others and opinions. Stairwell inside has come loose from sidewall, floor dropping near outside door, and spongy every time u step on outside stairs. Definitely a structural failure and a must fix ASAP.

Had 2 RV repair folks look at and both say Thor left out any kind of bracing/support from frame to outside to support weight of person stepping on outside stairs. Both purpose a framework from floor framing to outside wall under stairwell.

Anyone else? Thought about calling Thor but figured all I'd hear is "NO". It is a 2014 Hurricane 34E I purchased used from non-Thor dealer. Thx, Dennis.
Interesting timing--we had this problem with our ACE last month. On our ACE the entire step and storage area beside the stairs is a molded plastic unit installed with just two screws (really, just 2) one on each side of the stair well. Not even glued or screwed to the side wall, and not braced. The plastic around the screws cracked and gave way. Brought to my RV repair guy as an emergency repair--as on the drive home it had separated from the floor and sidewall by about 2 inches making getting in and out of the coach problematic. RV shop reattached and installed two thick L braces under the coach. Entire repair cost was under $300 including the two braces, reattachment, and labor. I don't remember seeing this issue in the forum before, and never had it with my other two coaches. Poor design.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Can something be welded to the steps and them up to the frame? Might have a welder do it much cheaper? Just an Idea.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #7

THOR #6181
Sounds like we may be a very small group. I may call Thor after all and just get them started thinking about it. But, I won't hold my breath.

I have one guy going to fix it for $450. Welding a framework under stairwell is the plan. Headed to WV in the morning to visit grandkids so I'll probably do that in November when I get back. Thx, Dennis.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:29 AM   #8

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Interesting thread. I just purchased a 2012 Serano in early October and one of the first things that we had to address was the steps. As mentioned in an earlier post, there was nothing there to hold them up, only the stairwell box which was 3/32 steel. If it only had to hold the weight of the person entering the stairwell, it would probably hold for a while. The problem is that the steps themselves were also being supported by that thin box. Again, if the steps didn't have to extend, there would have been less stress on the end of the box, but with the person's weight, added to whatever they were carrying into the MH, plus the weight of the steps and the fact that the steps were extended out over a foot produced way too much stress on the box and it cracked on both sides. The crack continued to extend farther and farther back to where everything was hanging by a thread.
My son has excellent welding skills and he fabricated all new structural supports to resolve the issue. The supports changed the load from the stairwell box back to the chassis frame where it should have been in the first place. Now they are solid as a rock. Took some photos, but would be difficult to explain without extensive write-up. Also I would guess that the Serrano would be different from other models.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #9

THOR #6181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Interesting thread. I just purchased a 2012 Serano in early October and one of the first things that we had to address was the steps. As mentioned in an earlier post, there was nothing there to hold them up, only the stairwell box which was 3/32 steel. If it only had to hold the weight of the person entering the stairwell, it would probably hold for a while. The problem is that the steps themselves were also being supported by that thin box. Again, if the steps didn't have to extend, there would have been less stress on the end of the box, but with the person's weight, added to whatever they were carrying into the MH, plus the weight of the steps and the fact that the steps were extended out over a foot produced way too much stress on the box and it cracked on both sides. The crack continued to extend farther and farther back to where everything was hanging by a thread.
My son has excellent welding skills and he fabricated all new structural supports to resolve the issue. The supports changed the load from the stairwell box back to the chassis frame where it should have been in the first place. Now they are solid as a rock. Took some photos, but would be difficult to explain without extensive write-up. Also I would guess that the Serrano would be different from other models.
Would you mind sending ur pics to my PM? Thx, Dennis.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Here are a couple of photos describing the problem we found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190303-133958_Photos.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	15975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190303-134509_Photos.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	15976  

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I guess y'all are referring to the steps at your RV's entrance door.
At first I thought the stairwell leading to the loft bed in some of the class A floor plans we keep looking at.
Then I thought, no, they're talking about the rear roof ladder, thinking why are they calling them steps?
LOL, just my brain and its type green information craving format, it just wasn't clear to me!
Old 06-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #12

State: Kentucky
THOR #15113
Quote:

Just reading through these threads, and this one caught my eye as I have a 32n.

I decided to inspect my step-door-sidewall... and sure enough , while not noticeable .. once weight was applied, it became apparent there was either no support or broken support.. as a 3/8” gap opened up when stepping on it, goes away once weight off.
It doesn’t seem to attach to sidewall.. maybe all the models do this , and this is just part of design .. but I can see attaching a brace to help support the weight...

Standing inside with closed door , pretty sure one not suppose to see outside light shining in when standing on last step.

Just another “ glad I caught it moment “

KC
Old 07-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #13

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3655
2017 challenger doing it too, made a support,
step to ground till i take it apart and weld in structural supports.
Old 07-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #14

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Our 2011 Four Winds Chateau Citation did the same thing-was hung with 12 little self-tapping wood screws only, and the entire box almost fell out! I re-sealed it and added a piece of threaded rod across the bottom and secured it to the frame mounts. That solved it; however, that was 3 coaches ago and now I'm always wondering if it will happen on my current coach.
GVP
Old 07-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #15

THOR #15113
Upon further inspection, it appears the entire box is hung from the floor by a single corner screw into the plastic stairwell sidewall. Really Thor?

The break was not noticeable as you enter and exit.

Underneath, it appears there is a steel strut off the frame about 8 inches away, which should make a Welded angled bracket easy and doable. I’ll do both sides.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 PM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Palazzo Stairs will not retract

A problem seemed to surface after heavy rain and will not go away. Our 2018 36.1 stairs will not retract any more. Power to the area is good, light comes on but no retraction. tried starting the coach to force the safety retraction thinking switch failure, but no go. Anyone have experience with this? I tried turning the shaft but it will not move, I tried to take off the bolt holding the swing arm and it is either stripped or there might be a snap ring that I can't feel it up there, can't see anything to well as there is little room. I thought about pulling the motor off, but decided on a beer to think it over as I don't have a replacement. Before I take it to a dealer I thought I'd try the Forum.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #17

THOR #3655
as an update I fixed my stairwell yesterday. The very flimsy aluminum L brackets that hold the bottom of stairs, one split, and the stairs would sink down went stepped on. So, I replaced both bottom brackets, and made a brace from bottom of stair box to the frame of first storage bay for strength. About 3 hr job.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860

Do you have any pictures for us?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #19

THOR #15113
https://youtu.be/IyO-NkeW6hA

Maybe after checking electrical voltage to motor , and making sure you have power ( my unit.. light and motor is 2 different power sources) A replacement is available .. looks like easy install
Old 07-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #20

THOR #3655
here should be some pictures of my step fix, new brackets, brace, and step outer support
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aluminum bracket.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	24747   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	24748  

Name:	step.jpg