Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2018, 01:15 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the reality is that the generator does not care if you are driving or parked....it simply is cranked and runs whenever you ask it to. most of us use it while driving because it is HOT! Your coach air conditioner(s) can provide some great cooling on those hot travel days... use it when you need it.

some have said that a dealer or someone 'told them' that it's best to run their generator while driving, because it's somehow 'better' on fuel mileage than running the vehicle's air conditioning, or something like that, but that's a little far fetched.

use your generator when you NEED to, not just because others say you need to. it is very economical and uses very little fuel for the power that it gives you...

A generator is simply an engine. You crank it and it provides 120v power to your coach. Nothing more.

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #22

State: Arizona
THOR #6671
We use our gen for the crockpot as well .... after 6 hrs on the road,, we arrive, set up the rig, and have a cocktail or two with dinner waiting and ready .... pretty nice. Haven't thought about the AC while driving, but it makes some sense to have the coach cooled down when arriving at camp.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
All of this talk about being able to drive and cook at the same time...
I can't STAND it!
It's going to wreck my diet: for sure!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:45 PM   #24

State: South Carolina
THOR #2176
When mine (Onan 4.5 KW) was new my electrical system failed. I ran the generator for 4 days until Camping World found a resettable circuit breaker tripped inside the wall of my Thor made Freedom Elite. The generator ran perfectly. The RV caught fire and burned a few years later. I would buy another Onan generator.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheibel@cfl.rr.com View Post
I searched the threads and I couldn't find what I was looking for. I know a lot of the Class A run their generators while driving. Does anybody run their generators in a Class C while driving? If so for what reason. Do you have any issues by doing this?

Thanks
We live in Arkansas with summer temps constantly in the upper 90s with heat idex easily up to 110. We travel with 2 dogs. Even though the cab AC does a great job the intense sun here make the AC a necessity on the road. Not to mention the generator needs to be run at least once a month for a couple hours anyway. So we run it for 3 hours to the campground. Rig stays cool for us and the dogs, so it's easier to keep it cool at the CG. Back on for the trip home, too. Uses such minimal fuel it is no concern. Keeps us comfy and the genny in good order. In winter it's just a great way to exercise the genny and have microwave or any other outlet needs taken care of.
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #26

Model: Quantum
State: California
THOR #5173
We run the generator to power the refrigerator and keep it cold while driving
Seal Beach, CA
Quantum2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #27

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum2017 View Post
We run the generator to power the refrigerator and keep it cold while driving
We do the same as well as run AC when hot or propane heater when cold.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #28

Model: Tuscanyxte
State: Virginia
THOR #11461
Per operator's manual

Manual says to run it up to temp with a decent electrical load on it every month in order to keep the contacts and other innards dried off.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #29

Model: Quantum GR-22
THOR #11838
We run the generator while driving to keep the RV cool, and refrig cold.

It is pretty hot here in AZ, so we run the gen and RV A/C as well as the cab A/C until temps drop. We are then able to shut off the cab A/C.

Some folks have claimed that running the generator and RV A/C uses less gas than using the Cab A/C. I don't have any personal data on that premise yet, but I am working on it.

We also travel with pets, so keeping the RV and cab at a reasonable temperature is a must.

NativeAz
NativeAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 12:09 AM   #30

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I only ran into trouble running the generator to run the A/C in our old Class A in AZ in 104 temp. Shut down after about 1/2 hour became of the heat.

Also will not run if the gas tank is below 1/4 tank.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #31

State: North Carolina
THOR #5767
Generator

We never use the generator when using our class C. No reason too.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You might want to check it, and make sure that it still remembers how to get the job done...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #33

State: Oklahoma
THOR #10398
I'm new to this as well. Have a 2017 Quantum and the only way I can keep the fridge on while on the road is by using the generator. That's all I need it for while driving, so if there's another way for the fridge to work without it, I'd love to know how it's done.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #34

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hortons View Post
I'm new to this as well. Have a 2017 Quantum and the only way I can keep the fridge on while on the road is by using the generator. That's all I need it for while driving, so if there's another way for the fridge to work without it, I'd love to know how it's done.

Thanks

Well, it certainly should run on propane and that’s how I always run mine while we are in the road. First make sure your stove works properly (only relevant to verify that you have a properly functioning propane system). Then, with the coach NOT plugged in and the generator OFF set the fridge to “auto”. You should be able to hear the burner light but in any case once it is running on propane there will be a steady green light. If, after a few minutes it is blinking then turn the fridge off and then back on to “auto”. If it’s never run on propane it might take 2 or 3 tries to get it running and stabilized. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #35

THOR #6671
My 2017 Quantum came equipped with an 1800-watt inverter, that converts house battery power to 120. When driving, just turn the inverter on, and it will power the fridge and freezer. If your unit did not come with an inverter, you can add one. Now, our unit also has a residential refrigerator and freezer, which does not run on propane. That's another thing to check - is your fridge a 12v/propane unit, or residential? The generator is always a fallback.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #36

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Bottom line...if it's hot, run it...if it ain't, no need to...BUT run it occasionally just to keep it from going into deep sleep. It doesn't hurt to run it on the road...if you need to. My coach doen't need it running. I'll get back to you next year in the desert...things may be different then. Sure nice to have it when you need it though!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 PM   #37

THOR #10398
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM1965 View Post
My 2017 Quantum came equipped with an 1800-watt inverter, that converts house battery power to 120. When driving, just turn the inverter on, and it will power the fridge and freezer. If your unit did not come with an inverter, you can add one. Now, our unit also has a residential refrigerator and freezer, which does not run on propane. That's another thing to check - is your fridge a 12v/propane unit, or residential? The generator is always a fallback.
Mine is the same residential fridge and doesn't run on propane and I haven't tried the converter. Will check to make sure that works.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #38

THOR #10398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Well, it certainly should run on propane and that’s how I always run mine while we are in the road. First make sure your stove works properly (only relevant to verify that you have a properly functioning propane system). Then, with the coach NOT plugged in and the generator OFF set the fridge to “auto”. You should be able to hear the burner light but in any case once it is running on propane there will be a steady green light. If, after a few minutes it is blinking then turn the fridge off and then back on to “auto”. If it’s never run on propane it might take 2 or 3 tries to get it running and stabilized. Good luck.

Thanks, but mine is a residential fridge and doesn't run on propane.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:58 PM   #39

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1gator View Post
Sure. Almost every time I drive it. Also sometimes have a crockpot cooking some chili so it’s ready when we get there.
Yup, or as we do... either a beef or pork roast in the crock (set it in the sink so it doesn't want to wander around...and use a bungie cord to secure the lid)
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #40

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hortons View Post
Thanks, but mine is a residential fridge and doesn't run on propane.

Make sure the inverter is turned on to run the fridge while you are not plugged in.
DanChateau33SW is offline   Reply With Quote