Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Atwood Furnace - Bad Gas Valve??

Last night our furnace apparently decided to no longer be one. The fan would kick on and the burner would light, for about 5 seconds. Did this three times and stopped, meaning that the flame had not been proven. I figured that I had water on the control board again as we’ve had a couple of pretty good rain storms since we’ve been camped this week.

This morning I pulled the circuit board and it was high and dry (I’d sealed the cover with butyl tape last year -fun getting the cover off). When I tested the unit, the burner would light, but not be very stable, It would light and sound good for a second, then cough and hesitate a couple of times and then the time out would shut it down. By the third attempt it was almost a backfire. Very repeatable, so I’m thinking that the problem is not the control board, but rather is a problem with the gas valve - most likely the regulator portion. The burner is acting like it isn’t getting a supply of gas. The gas solenoid is actuating, but something inside is malfunctioning. I’ve noticed that so far this year, the furnace would work, but occasionally the burner would stumble for a couple of seconds, then resume. So maybe this has been a developing problem.

The valve doesn’t look too terribly hard to replace, so I’ll call Atwood on Monday and see what the bad news is. I’ll probably try taking the regulator apart and see if I can find something obvious, but don’t have high hopes of being able to repair it.

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #2

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf

Gas valve Spider web ?
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
If it is still under the Atwood warranty it wouldn't hurt to get the relocation kit for the circuit board. You will at least get a new circuit board with it. I had resealed my door to keep the rain out and still had trouble with it, but the relocation kit fixed it.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote