Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Maine
THOR #10229
Hi to all,
We bought our Aria 3901 in January. I don't know when they started manufacturing them but I'm thinking we must have gotten an early one as we had so much trouble with our Aria. We do like the coach as it looks great and the layout/functionality is great for this price range. Before I mention what issues we have had, I thought I would give some insight on some of the troubles you people have mentioned here. In no order just as I remember them.

Fireplace turning off. The energy management system turns off the fireplace whenever the hot water heater comes on regardless of the load. The same is true for the dryer which turns off whenever the cook top is used. I assume it was designed that way. It should only do this if the load is getting to high.

Basement doors leaking. Thor knows about this and has come up with a bigger gasket. We have 1/2" gaskets and the new replacement is 1". I will be calling Thor and asking them to send me the new gasket material and I will replace.

CSR mentioned he didn't have a brace on right front cap. There should be one there. We have two. The brace is two telescoping pieces of tubing. We have both in place but they did not drill and put a screw in to lock in place. As a result, the wind pushing on the front, stress cracked the front corner of the cap.

Problems with the full wall slide. We had trouble with ours before we even left the dealer but was resolved and has been in and out for almost a year with no problem. The schwintek website has a good publication on troubleshooting, bulletin #0272. Our slide would start extending and one side would stop and the other would keep going. The 2 motors where out of sync. To re-sync you find the control module screwed to the floor which would be in one of the basement bays. As I remember you need a pen or paperclip to push the reset button. Push the reset button 6 times and hold in on the 7th time for about 5 seconds until the red and green led's start flashing. You are in bypass/emergency mode. Extent the slide out and continue to press the button until the motors trip out. Retract the slide a few inches and then extend the slide again and hold the button until the motors trip out. Do this again for the 3rd time. The motors are now in sync. The motors are designed to go until they trip out and you should operate this way whenever you move the slide in or out which will keep them in sync.

Half bath GFI tripping. Ours trips whenever the power source changes i.e. unplugging and going on the inverter or vice versa. Sometimes it trips for no apparent reason also. I am going to install individual GFI's wherever needed instead of making the half bath protect the other outlets. I will report back with results once done and time for testing.

I will do another post with more issues we are having to see if any of you have any insight.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #22

THOR #10229
Hello,

More on our Aria 3901.

Our plumber must have been on vacation when our coach went down the line. All of our faucets leaked and just simply needed to be tightened. Not a big deal except we had to cut a hole in the bedroom wall behind the picture to gain access. All the sink and shower drains leaked. The piping leaked again because it was loose but also the basket/drain assembly was installed in all 4 sinks with the cardboard that it was probably shipped with. Cardboard doesn't make a great gasket! All basket assemblies had to be removed and pre-installed with plumbers puffy. The water line going to the ice maker was just a cut off piece off pex tubing not hooked to anything. When we turned on the valve to the ice maker it flooded the coach with water before I knew what was going on. The outside plumbing bay was plumbed wrong and I had to tear it all apart and re-plumb as we could not get any water from the tank via the pump. I tightened the washing machine before trying it. While we are on water, the front cap leaked and had to be re-sealed.

The passenger side mirror almost feel off before I could find a safe spot to pull over and tighten the wood screws that are holding this heavy mirror on. I am planning drilling and replacing the screws with bolts.

We live in Maine where it gets cold. The entry door was cold but I noticed that it always noisy when driving as well. I removed the inside panel on the door only to find it had NO insulation, really Thor! I spray foamed it and put it back together. Also, none of the bay doors are insulated either. Not even the wet bay. This is a concern for us as we keep the coach in a heated building and do not winterize the coach and it could be below zero when we leave. I insulated the 2 wet bay doors also.

The rear of the coach (rear fiberglass cap) is designed to low and drags when going into some gas station/restaurants. Our coach was damaged when we lived and had to go to the collision center. I have welded up brackets and installed snow plow skid shoes in the rear to protect the rear cap. Usually, the trailer hitch is much lower than the cap and protect the cap. The Aria's rear cap and the trailer hitch are at the same height. Poor engineering!

I mention these things hoping it will help one of you.

We have had tons of stuff fall apart inside and not important to list them all.

My fingers are tied, that's all for now. Have a good night.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 AM   #23
CSR

State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
Great Feedback!

Hi Chesuncook1,

Thanks for all the details. Thankfully, we haven't experienced any of the plumbing issues you mentioned, but many of the other items sound familiar. Your slide tip will come in handy, thanks for that! Our Aria has been at the dealer for several months patiently receiving intermittent service attention. The fireplace issue you mentioned was is on our repair list. We'll see how that repair goes. The dealer did acknowledge the lack of a brace behind the front cap and they claim that it is next on their list to fix.

- CSR
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #24

THOR #10229
Hi CSR,

Sorry to hear your motor home has been waiting so long for repairs. I hope they take care of the issues for you. If you find out anything different with the fireplace, I would love to know because it shouldn't operate that way.

What has everyone's experience been with the cook top? You only have 2 burners and if one is on high (boiling water) you can't use the other one. If you turn the 2nd burner on it lowers the heat setting on the 1st burner. Hard to cook that way and I am just wondering how all of you are dealing with that.

I know the cook top draws a lot of power but I am going to make it work of the inverter so we can simply fry an egg in the morning without the generator running that early. It wouldn't use any more juice that making a cup of coffee in the keurig. When we bought the coach, I upgraded the batteries to 4 - L16's with 435 amp hours at 20 hour rate. This gives us 870 amp hours which is equal to 8 golf cart batteries. I also added 3 more 100 watt solar panels for 400 watts total and upgraded the charge controller to a MidNite Kid. I have a lot of experience with solar as our home is net zero with 13,500 watts of grid tied solar and our camp is an off grid system in remote northern Maine and has all the amenities of any home. We have not had to run the backup generator for four years except to exercise it.

Chesuncook1
Old 12-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #25

State: Tennessee
THOR #9960
I would too!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #26

THOR #10229
Hi m1noel,

Because I am Newbury they won't let me private message yet. I do have an air outlet in the front but I believe I do not have one in the rear. I will double check today. If I have one in the rear I will repost, if not I won't.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #27

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Colorado
THOR #3517
Aria 3901 – Initial Thoughts/Experience

I have some questions for the Aria 3901 owners. My wife and I currently own an ACE 30.2 and we would like to upgrade to the Aria 3901. I’ve watched every video walkthrough but have not seen any information on the driver seat. Is it adjustable? Front/back, up/down? I would like my wife to be able to drive the Aria but she is only 5’1” and cannot touch the floor in our ACE.

The next question refers to how much space there is in the dinette when it is converted to a bed. It says it’s a 74” dream dinette but in the videos I’ve watched it looks like the back cushions remain in place which looks to be 6-8” on both sides which would make the bed suitable for a child and not an adult. Is this correct?

My last question is how does it drive? My ACE is absolutely horrible and exhausting to drive even with several suspension modifications. My primary concern is wind as we almost always are dealing with wind when we travel. I know the Aria is twice the weight of my ACE which should help but I’m looking for the opinions of actual owners...

Thanks in a advance for any feedback!

(Also, there is no inventory in Colorado right now so I’m unable to test drive or look at a unit to answer these questions)
Old 12-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #28

State: Tennessee
THOR #9960
Good Morning,
We bought our Aria 3901 last month so my answers are based on limited experience with this coach. We have put 6500 miles on her this past month.
1. The seat does adjust in everyway, the steering wheel is also very adjustable. We think someone of your wife's height should have no problem.
2. You are correct on the dinette being used as a bed. One adult sleeping diagonal or children would be comfortable in that area.
3. We just drove from TN to AZ this week, you did have fight the winds but they were not any worse than our Class C was. This coach has an awesome ride!
I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #29

THOR #3517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrasmom View Post
Good Morning,
We bought our Aria 3901 last month so my answers are based on limited experience with this coach. We have put 6500 miles on her this past month.
1. The seat does adjust in everyway, the steering wheel is also very adjustable. We think someone of your wife's height should have no problem.
2. You are correct on the dinette being used as a bed. One adult sleeping diagonal or children would be comfortable in that area.
3. We just drove from TN to AZ this week, you did have fight the winds but they were not any worse than our Class C was. This coach has an awesome ride!
I hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #30

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
The ride/driving experience is way better than the gasses we have had. Beware the added length and wheelbase. The rear will try to cut corners. We have had some small issues, but overall love the coach. No water in our basement, and have driven through hard rain and snow.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #31
CSR

State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
Aria in the Wind

Hi COACE30.2,

Welcome!

I agree with Terrasmom & m1noel. So far, I'm very happy with the way the Aria handles in the wind. We've traveled for hours through strong steady cross winds with random gusts with little to no trouble. m1noel's reference to the wheelbase is something to be aware of. It helps to provide a better ride, but it does take a little getting use to. That said, I was surprised a the tight spots I've been able to get in and out of so far.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #32

THOR #3517
Thank you all for the feedback! It’s great to hear positive things from current owners. I would like to do a test drive if one is ever available locally. Hopefully we will be Aria owners in the spring if we can make it work financially.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #33

THOR #10229
Hi COACE30.2

as stated, the seat and wheel are adjustable. I am 5' 11" and like to sit high so I can see better. With the seat up high, I have the telescoping steering column as low as it goes to be comfortable. I would worry that your wife would have to have the seat low to reach the pedals and the steering wheel would be uncomfortably high. Some other coaches have pedals that move which would help.

I measured the dinette and between the end cushions is only 60"

We had two Monaco diesel pushers prior to the Aria and I think this one is better in the wind. We travel with some big passers (35') and watch them fight in the wind and we are not having much trouble. Still, I do not like driving in the wind as it is harder on the driver but I think the weight and long wheelbase help.

Chesuncook1
Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 AM   #34

THOR #10229
Electrical stuff

OK, here is an update to my earlier post. I changed the cook top wiring so it would work off the inverter. It did not work, the cook top came on and I pressed the + button until it was on 10 but no heating. I had a pan with water in it for the test.

Not everything will run on a modified sine wave inverter and I am guessing that is the problem. The brochure for the Aria says "true sine wave" inverter but what we have is a "modified sine wave" inverter.

Could someone look at their inverter for me and let me know what color it is? It is in the rear passenger side bay. If it is black, it's modified sine wave and if it's white, it's true sine wave. Thank you.

Also, how are any of you dealing with the fact that you can only use one burner on the cooktop at a time on high?

My circuit breaker panel is labeled wrong on a couple of things. The breaker for the dryer is really for the washer and the one that says "cooktop/washer" is really "cook top/dryer".

You have the "cooktop/dryer" and the "fireplace/water heater" that share a breaker. You can only run one at a time. This cannot be changed unless you separate them by adding an additional breaker and wiring for each. It's possible to do but to me it's not worth the work.

OK thank you in advance. Please get back to me on the inverter and cooktop issue.

Chesuncook1
Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #35

THOR #9660
My inverter is definitely gray, not white. I guess I missed in the brochure about it being a true sine wave. I just saw 2000 watt inverter. We are actually looking into changing it out to see if the modified wave inverter is causing some of our other electrical issues.
Mike
Old 12-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #36

THOR #10229
Hi m1noel,

Thank you for the reply. I have had the same Magnum modified inverter in our two previous motor homes also. Once in a while the ground fault would trip in those coaches also but not as offen as the Aria. I have changed the ground fault in the half bath to only protect that outlet and not the ones down stream. I then added a ground fault outlet in the rear bath, kitchen and outside in the bay. Now all outlets are stand alone. I haven't tested it yet but will Sunday and report back. It was a miserable job to change the outlets in the rear bath and kitchen. They used outlets without boxes. The outlets are designed to be used that way as there is only 1 3/4" of depth in the kitchen and 2" in the rear bath. I bought low profile boxes but still had to modify them and cut out the hole to a larger size. I am not recommending that anyone try to change the outlets as it was extremely difficult.

Chesuncook1
Old 12-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #37

THOR #10229
See my above post on gfi outlets. It didn't work, now I have 4 gfi outlets that trip. I called Magnum and they said you need to use a gfi outlet that's approved by us. They have many listed. I installed Leviton 8899 and no more tripping. I have gone from shore power to inverter and back again many times with no issues. It is an older model gfi outlet but ebay had many, just not dark brown, I installed white.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 AM   #38

State: Florida
THOR #10348
Heat pumps and furnace

Can someone let me know if the Aria 3901 has both heat pumps and a furnace? On the main Bluetooth board on wall outside 1/2 bath, it has a button for “heat pumps” and a button for furnace. We live in FL and have not used the heat before and are confused as to whether the heat pumps and furnace are one and the same or two different entities. If two diff entities, where is the furnace located?
We are very new to all this and have much to learn! Ty in advance for any help/advice.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:05 AM   #39

THOR #9660
Yes, both. Heat pumps are in the A.C. units. Furnace is in the wall near the fireplace and blows through the floor ducts.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:02 AM   #40

State: Florida
THOR #10348
Smile m1noel

Ty very much for clearing that up for me. One of many things I have to learn! Thx again!

Tags
3901, aria, firefly, multiplex