Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTerriEdwards View Post
How is your coach cooling this summer? We just got our Aria 3901, 2019, two weeks ago tomorrow. We are full timers, so this is our new home. We absolutely love this model and took our time choosing it. I needed an office space and found a great place in the bedroom vanity. We love the exterior and interior designs and there is plenty of space. We are also very pleased with the smooth ride compared to our previous coach.
Our biggest issue is with the AC units. They do not cool the coach to a comfortable temperature during the day. We are in Oklahoma right now and in the afternoon, we cannot get below 88 degrees when the temperature is in the nineties. The bedroom AC would only work on low and does eventually cool the bedroom at night. It tripped the breaker on High or on Auto. The living room one would only cool down to 88 degrees during the day and was only pulling 4 amps.
We let the dealer know of this issue within three days of the purchase. We took it in and they did some things and sent us back where we were camped. It only got worse. We went back in and they replaced the living room unit and did a few things to get the bedroom unit to run on high. Now, four days later, we are basically where we started. The AC, from 2 to 8:00 pm will only cool the coach about 10 degrees lower than the temperature outside. A person from Thor called about my complaint on this and said that I would need to get used to this and that I could not expect the AC to work like one in a home would. This is disappointing to say the least.
The only solution we have come up with is running the engine for a couple of hours and using the cab AC as a third AC unit. We will also get sun screens put on the exterior as we want to go to New Mexico and it is warmer there. We will also look into adding a third AC unit to the roof of the Aria. We are disappointed in the AC units and Thor’s lack of concern or customer support, but we are enjoying the rest of the coach.
If you are looking to buy an Aria, you should think about your summer temperatures and the temperature you plan to use your coach in. If you are in poor health or do not handle the heat well, this is a real problem. We are looking at putting thousands of dollars into this cooling issue since Thor is not interested in helping us. I hope this information will help you make a good decision for your family, as this is quite a large purchase.
That is interesting. Last weekend we were up at the lake, temps in the lower 90's, absolutely no shade. Had no issues with the AC being able to pull the temps down into the upper 70's where we had the thermostats set.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:24 AM   #82
CSR

State: Minnesota
THOR #6177
AC Not Cooling Enough

Sounds like something is not working right to me. Ours cools 20+ degrees below the outside temp and extreme humidity. This may seem like a dumb thought, but have you checked to see if something is blocking one or more of your vents? Do you have good airflow? New coaches often have debris in the vent lines left over from construction. Or maybe the line is kinked somewhere.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #83

Model: Aria 3401
State: California
THOR #8959
Overall Weight of 3401

Finally had our 3401 weighed .

Rear Axle: 19,480
Steer Axle 9,600

Overall 29,080

This is with full water tank, 1/2 tank of fuel. No "trip" load, cloths, food etc but otherwise ready to roll.

Biggest issue is rear axle is nearly at Max allowed by manufacturer.

If i remember the GVWR is 32,000.00 I believe they use the same chassis on all Arias.. If so I wonder how the larger ones weigh out.

Any one else weigh theirs ?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:30 AM   #84

THOR #9660
3901 Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanling View Post
Finally had our 3401 weighed .

Rear Axle: 19,480
Steer Axle 9,600

Overall 29,080

This is with full water tank, 1/2 tank of fuel. No "trip" load, cloths, food etc but otherwise ready to roll.

Biggest issue is rear axle is nearly at Max allowed by manufacturer.

If i remember the GVWR is 32,000.00 I believe they use the same chassis on all Arias.. If so I wonder how the larger ones weigh out.

Any one else weigh theirs ?
Our 3901 has GVWR of 35,320. I weighed it with full fuel, full water, full propane, and loaded with all of our gear . 12,200 on front with 14,000 axle rating, and 19,800 on rear with 21,320 rating. So right at 32k loaded with 3,320 reserve. I couldn't put another 3,000 lbs. in it. And we certainly don't pack light. I carry a 36" Blackstone griddle and bbq top, a bunch of tools, real dishes, heaps of food, and enough wine and beer for the neighborhood.
I feel really good about the reserve. Our Southwind was right at max all the time.
Mike
Old 09-05-2018, 02:49 AM   #85

State: Iowa
THOR #12878
DrTerriEdwards AC issues

I have had similar issues with my A/C and learned that the power management ( I think they call it the multiplex) has a lot to do with it. If the multiplex doesn't know the proper breaker you are hooked to it will manage all the power users. Looking at you panel while the AC is on look for the word "shed" where it shows the air is running. An example would be if you have the water heater set to electric, when ever the element comes on the power management will shut the AC compressor off and you will see the word "shed" to tell you what's happening. If the system thinks its on a 30 amp breaker it will alternate what it gives power to. If you run the dryer, or the microwave, or you have been on the road and the batteries are bulk charging, it all takes power and robs from the AC. I don't know how it decides what is going to get power but it does keep you from blowing breakers at the pole. Make sure it knows it's on a 50amp breaker!
It's a great system, learn to make it work for you.
Happy Camping!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:48 AM   #86

Brand: Still Looking
State: South Dakota
THOR #13151
3901 Bedroom Mattress

Looking at buying. Has anyone choose to change bedroom mattress?? If yes which one??
Old 09-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #87

THOR #9660
We sleep very well on the Denver Mattress that came in the rig.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #88

Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
THOR #5043
Probably not the same as your Aria but my 2015 Tuscany 40DX weighed about 34,500 with full fluids but not what the wife has managed to put in it. I think it's GVWR is a little more than 38,400 pounds. So the wife has room for another 2 tons! It has the larger ISL9 engine that I'm sure weighs a lot more? So just another reference point.

Disliked our Denver mattress so put a memory foam topper on it. Much better.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:35 AM   #89

State: Florida
THOR #6952
Looking at upgrading to a 2019 Aria 3901. Love the floor plan but a bit concerned about the height of the bed, not sure if our dog can jump on it, Has anyone purchased a good dog step?
Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #90

State: Iowa
THOR #12878
We have a springer spaniel and he has no problem getting on bed. It is high but doable. Love the coach!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #91

THOR #9660
Our golden is 12. She couldn't quite make it, so I bought a bench on amazon that we leave just under the bed and pull it out to the foot of the bed when the slides are out. She uses that and it gave us a bunch more storage for blanket, pillows, etc. Gives me a place to sit and put on my shoes, too.
mike
Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 AM   #92

State: Florida
THOR #6952
Thanks Mike. Do you happen to know what Bench you purchased on Amazon it sounds like the perfect solution, but Amazon has many options. Yes we took delivery last week and so far are loving the Aria 3901! Our dog is 13 years old and cannot make the jump and really want to find a solution for the jump up and down. Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:13 AM   #93

THOR #9660
storage bench

This is the one we bought. It is really light and surprisingly sturdy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #94

State: Nevada
THOR #9702
I am having a real problem trying to fill the DEF tank from a DEF pump. Has anyone found a way to get this done? The way the tank is installed you can't get the fill nozzle in the tank.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #95

THOR #9660
Another user posted that he had trimmed the metal at the top of the compartment about 1/2" using an air cut off tool. Looked like he did a nice job. I intend to do that before the next long trip. I have been able to force a nozzle in before, but just a 1/2" should make it much easier.
Mike
Old 04-06-2019, 06:52 PM   #96

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Another user posted that he had trimmed the metal at the top of the compartment about 1/2" using an air cut off tool. Looked like he did a nice job. I intend to do that before the next long trip. I have been able to force a nozzle in before, but just a 1/2" should make it much easier.
Mike
Just did mine. Took about 10 minutesClick image for larger version

Name:	1554576733124.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	16522
Old 04-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #97

THOR #9702
Looks great, I will do the same, Thanks so much for the pic. I was having trouble understanding where to trim.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:22 AM   #98

Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Just did mine. Took about 10 minutesAttachment 16522

Great idea! Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #99

Model: Aria 3401
State: Virginia
THOR #14450
Since this thread has a little of everything I wanted to ask if you think the $550 is worth it to get the FireFly Module so I can use the Vegas app on my phone?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #100

THOR #9702
I was going to get the Firefly system myself when it first came out for around $300 but changed my mind when it went up to $550. don't need it that bad.

Tags
3901, aria, firefly, multiplex