Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Florida
THOR #6952
Aria 3901 - Fan Running for Converter?

I have a 2019 Aria 3901 I noticed that a fan? Is running near our Converter/Engine underneath the rear bathroom. Everything is turned off, except I am plugged into 110 house power to keep the refrigerator powered. We just returned from camping and have never noticed the "fan" before and it has now been running for 8 hours. Is this normal? Thank you for any help !

Old 05-06-2019, 03:43 AM   #2

State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Yes that is normal. The fan provides cooing air for the inverter. But it is directly over the muffler so there is a lot of heat in that area. Some have installed an adjustable controller, some have placed an ice cube on the controller for just a second to shut the fan down. I have just opened the compartment door for a while and it shuts down pretty quickly, but I do plan on installing the adjustable controller. They are pretty inexpensive and an easy install. Example here-https://www.amazon.com/Emerson-3F05-1-Adjustable-Snap-Control/dp/B000PY7T7I

mike

Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.3 34'bunkhouse
State: Alabama
THOR #4735
you won't have a converter, but you have an INVERTER, which creates heat when inverting 12v to 120v power to your fridge, and outlets. As this heat 'heats up' and reaches a certain temperature internally, a separate installed fan comes on to remove the heat from your storage bay where the inverter is located, which is what you are hearing.
Sometimes these fans run for a while, and sometimes it seems they never turn off - some of us will touch it's 'sensor' with a piece of ice to trick it into cutting off.

Otherwise, it's just a little fan, like in your computer, and not a big draw or big deal, though it can seem a little annoying if it's right below where you are sleeping, etc.
100,000+mi since '14 - US, Alaska, Canada.... was WC Georgia, then W NorthCarolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:44 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #6952
Thank you so much. It reassuring to know it is normal and i will take the advise of opening the cargo door when we reach our destination. Thank you both!