Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE
State: Mississippi
THOR #5561
ATS and Inverter questions

We purchased a slightly used (only 700 miles) 2016 Freedom Elite 29FE last month. From what I could find online, it came with an Automatic Transfer Switch and an Xantrex Pro XM 1000 Inverter. These devices are totally new for us, as well as having a generator. So....here are my questions:

1. Where would the ATS be located and what exactly does it do? Do we have to manually activate it or is it truly automatic?

The features brochure for our RV lists the inverter as such, "Exterior kitchen with 2.9 cu ft refrigerator, sink, portable gas grill & 1000-watt inverter".

2. Does the inverter only work our outside refrigerator? Isn't there also supposed to be an outlet that we can use while traveling? Or can all outlets work using the inverter?

The inverter control panel is mounted on the wall next to the interior steps. I have no idea where the actual inverter unit is (according to pictures I've seen, there is an outlet on the inverter box).

The Thor manual is pretty generic and covers Class A, B+ & C's so it doesn't have a lot of info specific to my RV, at least not enough for me to understand what these units do and how to use them.

Thanks for any input!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
First the ATS.

The ATS switches your power source from shore power to generator when you start the generator and also provides 120VAC to the converter when you are plugged into shore power. It is automatic and you do not have to flip switches or changes settings for the ATS to function. The ATS on my coach is located on the ceiling of the compartment where my shore power cable plugs into the coach. On my prior class C the ATS was located under the bed.

On my coach the inverter powers the televisions and refrigerators (indoor residential and outdoor kitchen) only. Not saying there isn't one, but I have not yet found another outlet that is connected to the inverter. On my coach the inverter is mounted on the ceiling in a storage compartment two bay back from the batteries. The AGS (Auto Generator Start) module is mounted within a foot of the inverter.

Although the locations will be different I hope this helps.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The ATS switches your power source from shore power to generator when you start the generator and also provides 120VAC to the converter when you are plugged into shore power. It is automatic and you do not have to flip switches or changes settings for the ATS to function. The ATS on my coach is located on the ceiling of the compartment where my shore power cable plugs into the coach. On my prior class C the ATS was located under the bed.
So I guess this means we don't need to be concerned with the ATS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
On my coach the inverter powers the televisions and refrigerators (indoor residential and outdoor kitchen) only. Not saying there isn't one, but I have not yet found another outlet that is connected to the inverter. On my coach the inverter is mounted on the ceiling in a storage compartment two bay back from the batteries. The AGS (Auto Generator Start) module is mounted within a foot of the inverter.
I assume when I turn the inverter on, if there is no shore power (cord) connected, then the inverter powers whatever it's connected to in my RV. I suppose I would then have to try all electronics/outlets to see what works.

Here's a picture of my inverter box from Xantrex (although mine is 1000 watt, this pic is for the 1800). The black control panel is the only thing mounted on my wall. The rest of the unit must be hidden somewhere, possibly under the step where the house battery is? The RV is in the shop right now so I'm unable to search for it.

I sure would like to know if I have an inverter box outlet to use while traveling. Last time we traveled for 5 hours, we had to keep the Ford a/c on max the entire time. A fan in the RV would have probably helped.

Thanks for the quick response, dstankov.
Click image for larger version

Name:	xm1800.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	3098
Old 10-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
That model inverter seems to have its own transfer relay (transfer switch).

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...0Datasheet.pdf

Are you referring to generator transfer switch or inverter transfer switch?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post
I sure would like to know if I have an inverter box outlet to use while traveling. Last time we traveled for 5 hours, we had to keep the Ford a/c on max the entire time. A fan in the RV would have probably helped.
I wired a couple of 12v fans in the coach area... One in the kitchen area, and one back in the bedroom. Easy additional air circulation when driving - and when parked without shore power (and not wanting to run the genny).

I expect the 12v fan would be more efficient than powering an inverter to convert 12v DC to 110v AC for a 110 fan...

Still nice to know if you have an outlet you can use if desired...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

THOR #5561
Chance, I was referring to both; the generator ATS and the Inverter switch.

GMC, I'm not sure how to wire a fan for 12v but that may be a task to take on later.

I contacted Ron Baker at Thor this morning - he was EXTREMELY helpful and patient. He said my inverter works the following:

1. Exterior refrigerator and the outlet it's plugged into (inside the wood cabinet).
2. All 3 TVs (exterior, bedroom and over dinette).
3. The outlet above the kitchen sink (YAY - for my fan!).

ALSO, he said the DISCONNECT switch must be in the USE position for these to work off the inverter. I'm sure that is why nothing worked when I tested it while traveling a few weeks ago.

Also, during my research, I read something saying if you use a fan on an inverter-powered outlet, the fan switch could possibly be damaged. I guess I'll find that out as soon as I try it.

Ron also recommended keeping the Disconnect switch in the USE position whenever traveling or connected to shore power, to keep the house battery charged. He said only Disconnect when the RV is not being used. This was helpful for us since this switch is also new to us.

My husband is picking up the RV today and taking it to a local campground. I will test everything once I get there this afternoon.

Thank you all for your help & suggestions!
Old 10-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #7

State: Virginia
THOR #5529
I have a related question. On my 2015 Four Winds 33sw super c, the inverter appears to power only the refrigerator and the TVs - no outlets. Is that how it should be?
Old 10-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
I have a related question. On my 2015 Four Winds 33sw super c, the inverter appears to power only the refrigerator and the TVs - no outlets. Is that how it should be?
Although I haven't checked every single outlet mine appears to be wired the same. I do want to check the outlets around the kitchen sink and the outlet for my sub-woofer to see if they are connected to the inverter.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:55 PM   #9

THOR #5561
Well...the outlet over the kitchen sink did not work on battery power. The 2 in-house TVs did, as well as the stereo system in the bedroom.

I didn't check the exterior tv or fridge (or the outlet it's plugged into) yet.

I'll check the rest of the inside outlets later this week. If I don't find the one that works, I'll contact Thor again.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #10

THOR #5529
That's consistent with what I'm seeing in the wiring diagrams. Looks like the only things on the inverter are the TVs and the fridge. No indication of any outlets. I'll check but I think the coach entertainment unit is DC powered.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

THOR #5529
Dosbirn,
I think I have answered my question of what's on the inverter. Fridge is on, TVs are on, and there is a duplex outlet in the mbr below the tv that is on. Also, the two inside TVs are each plugged into a duplex outlet so there are 2 additional outlets available there. No other outlets appear to be powered when on the inverter. The entertainment system is dc. Hope this helps.
Garyj
Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 PM   #12

THOR #5561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyj View Post
Dosbirn,
I think I have answered my question of what's on the inverter. Fridge is on, TVs are on, and there is a duplex outlet in the mbr below the tv that is on. Also, the two inside TVs are each plugged into a duplex outlet so there are 2 additional outlets available there. No other outlets appear to be powered when on the inverter. The entertainment system is dc. Hope this helps.
Garyj
I agree. It appears the only outlets that work on the inverter are the ones the TVs are plugged into. So...I could use the unused outlet from the mbr TV using an extension cord.

The outlet for the TV over the dinette already has both outlets used, one for the TV and the other for the DVD player. Plus it's not easy to access this outlet (on the ceiling, behind the TV). Sure would be nice if the outlet over the sink worked. But hey, now I can use my fan.