Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Georgia
THOR #6687
Atwood Water Heater Problem

We have an Atwood 6 gal LP and Electric water heater in a 2015 Four Winds 22E. The electric works, but the LP does not. After contacting Atwood, and running tests with a multimeter, I was told (over the phone) that the mother board was kaput. Before I spend the $250 to $300 that the local servicer told me it would cost to replace, have any of you had this issue?

Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top2MP View Post
We have an Atwood 6 gal LP and Electric water heater in a 2015 Four Winds 22E. The electric works, but the LP does not. After contacting Atwood, and running tests with a multimeter, I was told (over the phone) that the mother board was kaput. Before I spend the $250 to $300 that the local servicer told me it would cost to replace, have any of you had this issue?
Depending on your model number you can possibly buy an entire new unit for $250 to $350 so you might want to look into replacing the entire thing to get a new warranty for the money. I know for a $300 potential repair I might look at replacing the unit with a tankless unit. I usually upgrade when a repair is costly.

Just an idea.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Are you certain you are getting propane to the heater? Turn on all stove top burners for a bit to purge any air possibly in the lines & try it again.. If you used a meter to check things out, I'm assuming you had 12 volts there.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

THOR #6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Are you certain you are getting propane to the heater? Turn on all stove top burners for a bit to purge any air possibly in the lines & try it again.. If you used a meter to check things out, I'm assuming you had 12 volts there.

Yes, we've actually just returned from a trip and used the furnace extensively and the stove top twice, so pretty sure the propane is getting to it. As for the meter, I was able to get to the first contact (brown wire) they wanted me to test and I had 12v, but the meter leads were too long to turn the corner to test the second contact (red wire). Based on that, they said the board was bad. Another RVer said it might be the 2 amp fuse, so I will look at that.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #5

THOR #6687
Thanks, Dog Lovers. I will look into that. Found a new water heater for $285, so may go that route if I can't figure another way.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Dog lovers, just wondered what type of furry kids you travel with? Got three here, large, medium and small
Old 03-19-2017, 01:52 AM   #7

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Dog lovers, just wondered what type of furry kids you travel with? Got three here, large, medium and small
3 Shih Tzu's and a Maltese. I'm not sayin I like them a bit too much, but all our friends know when the Zombie Apocalypse comes and I have to choose who to save. Some of my people friends won't make it.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #8

THOR #6687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

We also travel with a Lab mix. She is really sweet and rides very well, in fact, she can't wait to go and will jump in any open vehicle door.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #9

THOR #6687
Weird and thanks

Okay, this is weird. I went out this morning and tried it again and it fired up immediately. Happy camper here.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top2MP View Post
We also travel with a Lab mix. She is really sweet and rides very well, in fact, she can't wait to go and will jump in any open vehicle door.
Sounds so much like our beloved Lucy. Lost her to a fairly rare ailment almost a year ago and think of her every day. Brought back some good memories when I read this. Happy travels to you.

Glad you got your water heater working again.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

THOR #6280
Dogs leave their Paw Prints on our Hearts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Sounds so much like our beloved Lucy. Lost her to a fairly rare ailment almost a year ago and think of her every day. Brought back some good memories when I read this. Happy travels to you.

Glad you got your water heater working again.
Sorry you lost Lucy. We are veteran doggy lovers too. Beebee was our first. A blonde Tibetan Terrier we had for 16 years. She has been gone more than 10 years and I still miss her terribly. Then we adopted Buddy a Shih Tzu & Sissy an Imperial Toy Shih Tzu from a rescue shelter. Buddy passed away within 2 years and was so lovable, Sissy stayed loving us for 8 years and I cried like a baby when she died. I swore I would never get another dog because it hurt to much to see them go. After more than a year my wife kept after me to get another dog. She found an add in the paper where someone was selling Shih Tzu puppies and insisted we go look. I didn't want to but went to please her. There were 3 puppies left from this AKC litter, two girls and a boy. I tried to be uninterested but soon I was on the floor with my wife trying to decide which one to buy. Each was cuter than the next. We took home both girls as the boy was already spoken for or he would have gone with us also. That was 10 years ago. 3 years ago we rescued another Shih Tzu from another shelter then took in a Maltese puppy because a relative had to go into an assisted living facility that didn't allow pets. We now have all 4. Baily, Bella, Baxter and Buster. I love them so much I just can't describe it here. Each one has a unique and remarkable personality different than the rest.

Yes I know about the heartache from loss of our furry kids. But I also know now the wife was right. The best thing I ever did was get more puppies to fill the void in my heart.

ps. Please don't tell my wife I said she was right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	4258  
Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 AM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #1123
DogLovers,

Thank you for sharing and your secret is good with me. LOL You have 4 very adorable furry family members.

We had Lucy almost 8 years and she went just about everywhere with us. My wife was even taking her into her workplace frequently. Shortly after losing her, we adopted sister pups about 8 weeks old (Maggie and Kate). They're lab and hound mix plus who knows what else and with all their mischievousness we sometimes ask ourselves, "What were we thinking." But, they did; and still do, fill that void. Just this afternoon we took them to a dog park 40 miles away to watch them socialize with about 20 other dogs and it was such fun just observing them play. It was a park where we had taken Lucy and couldn't help but remember her running and romping. She was a really great dog and I know very well about the tears when they're suddenly gone.

Hope you have many years of memory making with yours and safe travels.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #6491
They are precious