Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Appropriate level of hammering on trading 2018 ACE?

Just curious. I have a Thor ACE 30.3 that I picked up in September. While it's quick, I'm going to trade it in on something bigger and diesel. Either a Palazzo, Aria or another brand.

Just how much of a hit should I expect? One dealer's offer was nearly a 50% below what I paid less than three months earlier. I was expecting more in the 20-30% range.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Trading any vehicle in will be a financially painful experience. Remember a dealer is looking at what they can sell it for, then backing down from that point on their offer to you, so they can insure what they feel will be a safe margin of profit for them. If you want to maximize your sale price, you would do better to sell privately, though that can be a genuine PITA.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

THOR #8012
Hey Laco,

Thanks and I totally understand that. I'm just curious if that sounds about par for the course on a quick trade of an '18 or abnormally low.

I knew that I would get hammered trading right away, and don't think I'm up to the hassles of private sale (including the fact I want to keep using my ACE until I get a new coach).
Old 12-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You could always do a search on RV trader for your model and see what they are currently going for and then factor in some % for the dealer to make a profit. That should get you somewhat near the ballpark.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've heard that "50% loss on a trade"; but didn't think that it was ture...
Evidently it is...

Sharpen up your bestest negotiation skills, and take another run at them!
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The price offered will be variable depending on many factors, like supply and demand for your particular model, what the used RV market is like in your area, and of course how much profit the dealer feels they need/want to make on its sale. Depending on the dealer and how well you know them, you might try to work out a total deal massaging numbers for both the new unit and your trade, to see how close you can negotiate to a number that both you and the dealer would be comfortable with. Dealers bottom line will be profit, yours is out of pocket cost, goal is to arrive at a number that both can live with. Do your research, know the facts, and be reasonable. I negotiated for a good month before arriving at a number that was going to work for the dealer and for me. Needless to say after a month of haggling the numbers were different than our starting point, and part of the deal included a significant number of equipment adds to the new motorhome. Keep an open mind, know your facts, be reasonable and negotiate in good faith, while not losing sight of the end goal.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I had a stray thought pop into my noggin'.
When you said that they offered nearly 50% less: is that 50% less than retail, or 50% less than your negotiated purchase price?
(We got a full 35% off at the time of purchase...)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
You wanting to keep your rig is your Ace in the Hole put it up for sale today at the price you want if you get the price you want Let It Go ... if not worry about the trade later on the line when your new rig is ready we did the same thing with our house it's sold in one day but we got top dollar for it it's amazing how that works sometimes. Also I would have to believe somebody looking for a 2018 off of private owner will be well-educated on what the vehicle is and just want to save a little bit of money good luck.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:51 PM   #9

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Auto sales are expected to be down next month versus last year, and Class A sales haven't been keeping up with smaller B and C motorhomes.

As a business looking to make a profit, dealers probably look at the economy going forward and how that may affect demand, so the depreciation number you're looking for may be a continuously moving target. Just my 2 cents ....

Having said that, 50% seems like a lot. Unfortunately, that's all a family member got in trade for an almost new 5er.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 PM   #10

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I had a stray thought pop into my noggin'.
When you said that they offered nearly 50% less: is that 50% less than retail, or 50% less than your negotiated purchase price?
(We got a full 35% off at the time of purchase...)
As I mentioned, 50% of what I paid. I paid about 30% off of MSRP in September on an ordered '18.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while it would be nice for all of us to weigh in and 'suggest' what you might expect, and why... the only REAL way to know is to get quotes for many different dealers - most have online resources and forms to submit your vehicle for consideration on trade or a direct sale to them.

of course, if a dealer can purchase a BRAND NEW coach like yours, why would they pay you the same, or even NEAR the same, for a coach they must sale as USED? This is why the trade price is no where near what you paid, EVEN if you got a really good 'deal' to start with. A dealer is taking a risk buying a used coach, even if it's still under warranty since they would then not be able to 'claim' warranty repairs like they can for NEW coaches.

but, the good thing is this: dealers can NOT get enough new coaches fast enough right now, so the market is really 'good' for trades and direct sales. : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Just went through this a few months ago as I attempted to trade in my 2016 Vegas on a larger unit.
The dealers will give you a wholesale price and that is it , at least that was my experience . No matter how I went at them or the number of them that I attempted to bargain with produced the same result.
Spruce it up, take some good pictures and list it here in the classifieds , RV Trader and Ebay . Mine sold in three days .
It actually sold as a result of being seen here on this forums classifieds.

In my case going back at the dealers without a trade got me a much better deal.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
X2 Agree my last two I sold sold Quickly and a price I was more than Happy with. I "advertised" them on Ebay.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
As I mentioned, 50% of what I paid. I paid about 30% off of MSRP in September on an ordered '18.
Double-ouch...
When this kind of money is invovled: there's just no room for "buyer's remorse".
If you've just got to make a move: get ready to either sell privately; or take a baseball bat along to your next negotiation...
Old 12-31-2017, 12:02 AM   #15

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Just went through this a few months ago as I attempted to trade in my 2016 Vegas on a larger unit.
The dealers will give you a wholesale price and that is it , at least that was my experience . No matter how I went at them or the number of them that I attempted to bargain with produced the same result.
Spruce it up, take some good pictures and list it here in the classifieds , RV Trader and Ebay . Mine sold in three days .
It actually sold as a result of being seen here on this forums classifieds.

In my case going back at the dealers without a trade got me a much better deal.
I'm going to wind up ordering something, and possibly a '19, so likely an even bigger hit on my trade while waiting for the new one to come in. So, I'll probably work out both a trade and no trade price, and then as it gets closer attempt to sell privately. I don't want to do it too soon, because I want to use my ACE on the good days this winter as well as spring and early summer.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #9461
So lots of variables in play but here is my story for reference. In July of 2017 we bought our first motorhome, a Forest River Georgetown gasser. It was marked as a 2018 model and bought it the first day the dealer had discounted from msrp of $130,000 to purchase price of $99,500. Used it for two months and decided we wanted a diesel pusher, 5' longer. Settled in on a Thor Venetien dp as our target. Found a new 2017 Venetian at a dealer that also was a Forest River dealer and carried the Georgetowns. I was able to hammer home a $95,000 trade against a purchase price on the Venetian that was discounted almost $100,000 off msrp. The dealer got rid of his 2017 Venetian and they were able to put the 2018 on their lot and sell alongside true new 2018s (given that it had 2000 additional miles on it). All in all, this was a win for us as we truly have what we want now for what was arguably a loss of around $5000. Would have been a different story if we had either wanted a 2018 model year replacement or had waited till Spring.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #17

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
So if I understood your original post and follow up answers, you originally bought the 30.3 new at around 30% off MSRP, and now the dealer wants to allow you around 50% less than you paid?

So let's say for example the MSRP on your 30.3 was $100,000. You got it for between $70,000 and $72,000? Dealer is offering you between $35,000 and $38,000 on a trade?

I guess it boils down to what is the price drop on the unit you would be purchasing? When trading the only number that really matters is the "difference" figure. If they are coming down 30% to 35% on another new unit then maybe the deal is closer than you think, but you are still going to suffer for trading so soon.

Depending on how expensive your target RV is may help you decide if you are better off selling your 30.3 privately and then paying full sales tax on the new purchase. If you are buying a $500,000 DP then I would try a couple different dealers on a trade. If your next RV is in the $200,000 range then maybe you should sell your 30.3 and not trade. Just a couple different things to consider. Try to remember that as soon as you start thinking it is even remotely similar to an automobile purchase you will be greatly disappointed.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:33 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I think it’s really difficult to put too fine of a point on trade in negotiations. We recently traded our 26 foot 2017 Freedom Elite with 8,000 miles on a new 2017 Winnebago Vista. We paid about $54000 for the FE and the paperwork says we got $48,000 in trade. Sounds all well and good but of course then I couldn’t get the price of the Vista any lower than 22% off MSRP. 30% would be about an additional $10,000 so presumably I “really” got maybe $35,000 - $38,000 in trade. I like it better this way because there is less sales tax. It is what it is though.

The really interesting thing is that CW initially listed our old FE on their website for $72,000! It was later lowered to $59,000 but it’s still way more than we paid for it new. Go figure?!
Old 01-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailwind22 View Post
So lots of variables in play but here is my story for reference. In July of 2017 we bought our first motorhome, a Forest River Georgetown gasser. It was marked as a 2018 model and bought it the first day the dealer had discounted from msrp of $130,000 to purchase price of $99,500. Used it for two months and decided we wanted a diesel pusher, 5' longer. Settled in on a Thor Venetien dp as our target. Found a new 2017 Venetian at a dealer that also was a Forest River dealer and carried the Georgetowns. I was able to hammer home a $95,000 trade against a purchase price on the Venetian that was discounted almost $100,000 off msrp. The dealer got rid of his 2017 Venetian and they were able to put the 2018 on their lot and sell alongside true new 2018s (given that it had 2000 additional miles on it). All in all, this was a win for us as we truly have what we want now for what was arguably a loss of around $5000. Would have been a different story if we had either wanted a 2018 model year replacement or had waited till Spring.
GREAT job of negotiating!!
That $5000 "loss" was less than what it would have cost you to rent a rig for two Months...
Old 01-02-2018, 05:49 AM   #20

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Ummm... Not to be an asp, but it doesn't sound like some of you guys put a whole lot of thought into the coaches you want!