Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Axis new windshield design?

I noticed a few internet pictures of some 2016 Axis that appear to have the windshield starting lower at the top. Is this a change Thor made on the fly? There are 2016 models with both. The lower windshield makes the motorhome look quite a bit different from the front.

Sorry if it's been discussed already as a 2016 revision. If so I missed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	1309  

Old 01-19-2016, 08:41 PM   #2

THOR #2121
Others look like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	171
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1310  
Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #3

THOR #2121
On closer inspection it looks like there is a color change at top, but my vision isn't good enough to see what's going on in this picture. Could it be some kind of optional sun shade or similar?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Chance -- it does look like two different windshields. The one you have first appears to have less of the compound curves as associated with the second (larger windshield). If the newer one is just a smooth curve from top to bottom I think there would probably be less chance of a stress crack (like I had) forming because the compound curves have more stress put on them.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
It's hard to tell. But, from these pictures it looks as though the top unit has a shorter window or a cover of some type.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Looks to me like a smaller window. That would make sense as a smaller window would cost less to make and also be less prone for cracking.

It really doesn't need to be so big.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Maybe that's Thor's attempt to correct issues with stress cracks folks have been reporting.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #8

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Looks to me like a smaller window. That would make sense as a smaller window would cost less to make and also be less prone for cracking.

It really doesn't need to be so big.
May even cut down a little on air conditioning too.

Looking at second (normal) picture it looks like there is also a slight color difference between the thinner piece that spans between windshield and roof, and the color of the "A" pillars.

I had assumed that the front cap was mostly one piece, but it looks now like the A pillars and the piece that spans between them just above the windshield may be different pieces bolted or glued together.

Have you noticed how they transition between the glass and flat portion of roof?

Also, what do you think of appearance? Looks a little more traditional to me.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The front of the Axis/Vegas units is 3 pieces a left and right side plus the front.

You can see the seam in the vertical line right behind the rear-view mirrors in your pictures. In addition the seam runs from the top left of the front window in the pictures up and to the left.

The horizontal piece by the outside storage and front wheels is just a trip piece--although it may also be hiding a division between the body panels and the skirting.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #10

THOR #2121
On this picture I can clearly see the gasket/seal at top of windshield. I guess it is lower glass.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	239
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1317  
Old 01-20-2016, 12:07 AM   #11

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
May even cut down a little on air conditioning too.

Looking at second (normal) picture it looks like there is also a slight color difference between the thinner piece that spans between windshield and roof, and the color of the "A" pillars.

I had assumed that the front cap was mostly one piece, but it looks now like the A pillars and the piece that spans between them just above the windshield may be different pieces bolted or glued together.

Have you noticed how they transition between the glass and flat portion of roof?

Also, what do you think of appearance? Looks a little more traditional to me.
Looks more like an ACE.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

THOR #1765
Here's a pic of the two Axis windshields side by side in Tampa. My new 2016 has the smaller window. I did not even notice it at the RV show. I like the look of it and it certainly will be easier to replace, if I ever have to. Should be cooler too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	477
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1324  
Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #13

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Looks more like an ACE.
Is the picture above of your actual Axis? Side by side it looks even more different than I expected.

I personally like the new look a lot. And it probably functions better too -- lower cost, lower weight, lower heat transfer, potentially stronger glass and framing, etc...

Regarding appearance similar to ACE, I personally don't see the similarity. The ACE has that eyebrow look over windshield made famous by Winnebago (think it was the Brave, which they brought back recently). That small protrusion above windshield on ACE or Brave probably adds a little to aerodynamic drag by forcing more of air to go around unit than over it. I prefer the smoother look of the new Axis. It's a nice looking small motorhome.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Washington, D.C.
THOR #3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Here's a pic of the two Axis windshields side by side in Tampa. My new 2016 has the smaller window. I did not even notice it at the RV show. I like the look of it and it certainly will be easier to replace, if I ever have to. Should be cooler too.
My 2016 Axis has the larger window. I suspect (as some have suggested) that the windshield was redesigned because the old design was prone to cracking. Mine has a large crack in it already, and is at the dealership for repair. Thankfully, it's being done under warranty. A new windshield is $1k, and the dealer wants $1,100 for installation. Factor in shipping, and the total cost approaches $3k. Ouch!
1987 Suzuki Samurai
pghali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #15

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Is the picture above of your actual Axis? Side by side it looks even more different than I expected.

I personally like the new look a lot. And it probably functions better too -- lower cost, lower weight, lower heat transfer, potentially stronger glass and framing, etc...

Regarding appearance similar to ACE, I personally don't see the similarity. The ACE has that eyebrow look over windshield made famous by Winnebago (think it was the Brave, which they brought back recently). That small protrusion above windshield on ACE or Brave probably adds a little to aerodynamic drag by forcing more of air to go around unit than over it. I prefer the smoother look of the new Axis. It's a nice looking small motorhome.
Actually the little window is a 25.2 and the big window is a 24.1. Mine was being detailed at the time so I took a pic of two side by side with the different Windows. My windshield is exactly the same as the 25.1. While the proportions of the windshield are similar to the ACE, you are right in that the eyebrow is not there. I like the new windshield. It looks like all the new AXIS on the lot have the new window and all the ones I was in have the 6 Spd transmission. It looks to me that the aerodynamics shouldn't change very much, if at all. I will be interested to hook up my scan guage and see what the mileage is on the way home. I will also take some db readings on I-75 and see what the noise level is.

I have been much impressed with the fit and finish and quality control of the 2016 over the 2014. I spent hours and hours taping and waterproofing electrical connections to the head lights, generator and many under coach connections. They all seem to be already done on the 2016. I found one loose panel on the bottom of the coach, much better than the 2014. The fender skirts are still put on with non stainless screws, but that is an easy fix. We do the final walk thru tomorrow - they were detailing it this afternoon so we did not turn on the engine, generator or appliances and I have not been up on the roof.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:37 AM   #16

THOR #3459
I noticed this thread the other night and thought to myself that I was glad I had the older windshield because I thought it looked better.

We'll turns out my 2016 24.1 has the smaller windshield, and I like it. Like others have said, hopefully the newer one has fewer problems with cracking.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
I heard the CW here in Lubbock has a 2016 Vegas 25.2...I will go by there this afternoon and check to see what windshield that model has and if it is on the E450 chassis...more to follow
Old 01-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #18

THOR #1765
My new 24.1 2016 is on the 450 chassis. You can tell by the Vin# if you go to the vin# reader at ford.com. That will not tell you the transmission (5 or 6) but looking at the shift indicator in the coach will. The 6 D4321 and the 5 D321. I like the look of new window too, especially when you see them side by side. You cannot tell the difference from inside.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #19

THOR #3459
On the Ford VIN decoder page, if you go to 'specs' it will show the transmission ratios. It will either have 5 or 6 listed.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #20

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason977 View Post
On the Ford VIN decoder page, if you go to 'specs' it will show the transmission ratios. It will either have 5 or 6 listed.
The tech specs for my vin# under transmission type has 6,5. It does not indicate which one is on the vehicle. Maybe others do?