Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #22099
2020 Thor Windsport Solar install

My coach is prewired for solar. What do I need to do to install 200 watts of solar panels (s).

Old 02-18-2021, 06:01 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Solar connector junction box on the roof. Need to mount panels and plug in. I have 2020 hurricane. Works like a champ. I added 2 more batteries also.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Solar connector junction box on the roof. Need to mount panels and plug in. I have 2020 hurricane. Works like a champ. I added 2 more batteries also.
Yes, and no. If the solar controller is a Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ like is on my new Axis then it is limited to 190 watts, and that is a stretch.

To use 200 watts of panels, replace the Go Power with a good MPPT controller of at least a 15 amp rating such as a Renogy or Victron. To save voltage drop wire the two panels in series to the roof top port. Also on mine the output of the solar controller goes through an ATC fuse holder that has 16-18 gauge wire which will cause a few tenths of a volt drop to the batteries. Since the rest of the wire is 10 gauge I would replace that fuse holder with one with 10 gauge wire.

David
Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
So you saying my 200 watt system doesn't work????

Would you like pictures of it in action?

2020 Win and 2020 hur are sisters and come with 10amp preinstalled system, all you need to do is add panels and plug them in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Yes, and no. If the solar controller is a Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ like is on my new Axis then it is limited to 190 watts, and that is a stretch.

To use 200 watts of panels, replace the Go Power with a good MPPT controller of at least a 15 amp rating such as a Renogy or Victron. To save voltage drop wire the two panels in series to the roof top port. Also on mine the output of the solar controller goes through an ATC fuse holder that has 16-18 gauge wire which will cause a few tenths of a volt drop to the batteries. Since the rest of the wire is 10 gauge I would replace that fuse holder with one with 10 gauge wire.

David
Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
From what I understand that 190watt is max in perfect conditions, since 200watt panel is not 100% efficient this should be fine.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #6

THOR #20289
All I can tell you is to quote from the Go Power manual:

"The total rated Maximum Power Current (Imp) of the PV input should not exceed 10 Amps"

Most 100 watt panels have an Imp of about 6 amps, so two panels would be 12 amps.

David
Old 02-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 32T
State: Florida
THOR #20883
Quote:

David

My 2021 Hurricane also has the Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ. I installed a 190 watt mono panel with a max 9.3 amp rating. It works fine and keeps my batteries topped off while stored.

Frank
2020 Chevy Spark LS (Toad)
FMCA F519509
fny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by fny007 View Post
My 2021 Hurricane also has the Go Power GP-PWM-10-SQ. I installed a 190 watt mono panel with a max 9.3 amp rating. It works fine and keeps my batteries topped off while stored.

Frank
What is the Imp rating of your panel? I am surprised it is as low as 9.3 amps for a 190 watt panel. Most panels have a Vmp of 17 volts which means the Imp is 190/17 = 11.2 V.

But as someone noted above, Imps are rarely achieved, maybe only at midday on a summer's day with the sun directly above. But you are taking a risk by pushing the spec even for a few hours.

David
Old 02-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #9

Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
The MPPT controllers are much more efficient than the PWM controllers also. A less expensive alternative to lithium batteries are 2 6v golf cart batteries. More storage and ah.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 32T
State: Florida
THOR #20883
Quote:
What is the Imp rating of your panel? I am surprised it is as low as 9.3 amps for a 190 watt panel. Most panels have a Vmp of 17 volts which means the Imp is 190/17 = 11.2 V.

But as someone noted above, Imps are rarely achieved, maybe only at midday on a summer's day with the sun directly above. But you are taking a risk by pushing the spec even for a few hours.

David
The IMP on my 190w panel is 9.31.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #11

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
The MPPT controllers are much more efficient than the PWM controllers also. A less expensive alternative to lithium batteries are 2 6v golf cart batteries. More storage and ah.
Golf cart batteries are too large for my stock battery compartment located under the entry steps
Even some AGM 12v require step modifications

So I will stick with Flooded Lead Acid 12v with my 200 watt solar system and PWM controller to run my 1200 watt inverter, SatelliteDish, and TVs.

I boon-docked for 4 days/3 nights this week with the inverter running noon to 9pm.
Even though the weather was clear & sunny, it was a low winter sun.
So I had to run the generator for an hour each evening to guarantee enough battery power to run the propane furnace in the middle of the night.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:02 AM   #12

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
I’m installing a small nuclear reactor on the roof. It provides 12,000 watts continuously. See, mine is bigger!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I’m installing a small nuclear reactor on the roof. It provides 12,000 watts continuously. See, mine is bigger!
Only 12,000 watts? Camping World has a 1.21 gigawatt fusion generator that plugs right into the solar ready wires. All you have to do is add your own flux capacitor. Camping World doesn't have them in stock, but I think I saw some Chinese knock offs at Harbor Freight the other day.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:06 PM   #14

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Only 12,000 watts? Camping World has a 1.21 gigawatt fusion generator that plugs right into the solar ready wires. All you have to do is add your own flux capacitor. Camping World doesn't have them in stock, but I think I saw some Chinese knock offs at Harbor Freight the other day.
Yeah but can you still use banana peels as fuel?
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #15

Model: 2019 Windsport 27B/29M
THOR #17696
Which Solar Panels

MacDaddy111 -
I have the same RV system and planning to install 2)100W panels.
Which Solar panels did you go with?
Old 02-25-2021, 04:25 AM   #16
MLP

THOR #17478
I have 500W system. I don't have to use the starter battery disconnect switch or the use/store switch. I can keep it live 100% of the time. What is common to your system is that you will have to check the battery water level often. I install new battery watering system caps with water level monitors. One glance and the check is done.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #17

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I have 500W system. I don't have to use the starter battery disconnect switch or the use/store switch. I can keep it live 100% of the time. What is common to your system is that you will have to check the battery water level often. I install new battery watering system caps with water level monitors. One glance and the check is done.

I should think so. I only have 80W and it keeps my chassis and house batteries fully charged while in storage. I have a second 80W panel but haven’t been motivated to install it yet.