Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Axis mirror base disintegrating

I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 less than 18 months old.

The mirror support on the driver's side has corroded at the top bolt and the metal covering the support has broken and torn off. There are also bubbles further down the support where it looks like water has run down through the support and is breaking thru the metal covering. It looks like the same thing is happening on the passenger side at the top two bolts, but it is not as far along. The mirror themselves look fine. It is just where the bolts that hold the support go into the side of the coach.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5396.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	5662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5663  

Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

THOR #1765
Thor non-support

I emailed Thor customer service in the hope that I might at least be able to purchase the base and not have to buy the whole mirror, since I am 6 months out of warrantee and maybe a belief that this should not happen on an 18 month old coach. The reply I got back was "Well if you would like to replace these I would suggest calling Total Value RV at 866-282-4460 and they would be able to sell these to you, we are not set up to sell any parts from here."

That was a big help and raised my blood pressure a little. I have owned both a Vegas and an Axis and have been pretty vocal on this Thorum in my praise for the coaches and general satisfaction with Thor customer service and warrantee support. Not so much today.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

THOR #1765
Velvac

The name or the company embossed on the mirror is Velvac. So I googled them and got an email for their technical support and told them of my problem. To my happy surprise I got an email back telling me that there is a 24 month warrantee on the chrome finish and they are shipping me two new bases.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to take the dashboard off of the Axis, so I can get to the bolts holding the mirror on.

Kudos to Velvac for standing up for their product. to Thor for not at least pointing me towards Velvac. They could have come out heros instead of schmucks. Below are the numbers and emails for Velvac if anyone else has a similar problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5024.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	5667  
Old 07-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I had similar cancer on the finish on my Vegas just before the 1 yr warranty expired. Thor sent me 2 new ones, that I installed.

Pry off those chromed caps, and the screws behind them hold the mirrors. A friend provided some 1 inch poly, and we added a spacer and longer screws to improve the view on the right mirror. Vision is limited on that mirror by the awning brackets. Would have added another half inch, but couldn't find any longer screws locally.

The Vegas and Axis have a tapered front, which makes the mirror arms inadequate. A design fault. Wonder if the mirror co has longer arms for that right side?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #5

Model: 2016 hurricane 31s
THOR #3836
velvac mirrors

I had the same problem on my 2016 hurricane. I replaced two sets in 9 months. I called velvac and asked if they the same mirror in black instead of chrome. they have a complete replacement in black, so he warranty them and send me two new ones. great people to deal with.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #6

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I had similar cancer on the finish on my Vegas just before the 1 yr warranty expired. Thor sent me 2 new ones, that I installed.

Pry off those chromed caps, and the screws behind them hold the mirrors. A friend provided some 1 inch poly, and we added a spacer and longer screws to improve the view on the right mirror. Vision is limited on that mirror by the awning brackets. Would have added another half inch, but couldn't find any longer screws locally.

The Vegas and Axis have a tapered front, which makes the mirror arms inadequate. A design fault. Wonder if the mirror co has longer arms for that right side?
You mean, you don't have to go in from inside the coach? There are screws behind the caps on the outside of the mirror? If so that is great news. I thought it would be difficult. That sounds easy. Could you reuse the caps or did they send you new ones?
Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Velvac is a great company to deal with. Our previous coach had chrome arms with signal flashers built in that were 10" long. The factory arm on the right was to short to see around the awning support very well. I contacted Velvac and they sent me a 14" arm free of charge and were SUPER nice about it. I called on a Tuesday and had the replacement arm on Friday!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 PM   #8

THOR #3836
mirrors

you pry the caps off with a little screw driver. their is stainless Philips head screws behind them, make sure you have a good grip on the screw and twist them out. all of the wiring can be disconnected under the hood first.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #9

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
you pry the caps off with a little screw driver. their is stainless Philips head screws behind them, make sure you have a good grip on the screw and twist them out. all of the wiring can be disconnected under the hood first.
Is the wiring under the hood or inside the dash? Is there a harness for the mirror adjustment and a separate wire for the camera to the radio or is that wire in the harness as well?
Old 07-08-2017, 12:28 AM   #10

THOR #3836
mirrors

wiring is under the hood. look for a white 6 way connector , push the tabs and pull it apart. the camera wire was a black barrel connector , just unscrew it and pull it apart, then take the mirror screws out and the pull the wires through the hole. their was more than enough wire, it may be tied up under the hood.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #11

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
wiring is under the hood. look for a white 6 way connector , push the tabs and pull it apart. the camera wire was a black barrel connector , just unscrew it and pull it apart, then take the mirror screws out and the pull the wires through the hole. their was more than enough wire, it may be tied up under the hood.
Great! Thanks! You guys just made a difficult job look easy.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:34 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Replacing the mirrors with new ones was one of the easiest repairs ever. A helper to hold the mirror while you run the screws is recommended.