Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: California
THOR #2792
Smile Love our Thor Axis 25.1 So Far

We purchased our Thor Axis 25.1 in Michigan in June at General RV Center in Birch Run. We drove it back home to California over Labor Day weekend. We have camped for a short weekend and then we just finished camping for two weeks over Christmas at Pismo Beach. So far, we have not had any major issues. Everything works like it should. I just added a Tire Pressure Monitoring system and I will be adding a Rear Stabilizer Bar at Camping World, because I have found it is needed. We have got the oil changed at Camping World in San Bernardino on both the engine and the generator. We also have a cover for it when we store it. We have enjoyed our time using our Axis. We used the central heating at Pismo Beach and it worked well. We used the a/c in the summertime in Michigan and on the trip to California. It worked well, too.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Bobby,

DocMike here. We got our 2016 Vegas 24.1 (E350 Chassis) on 31May15. THere were several things caught on the Pre-delivery inspection that were corrected ranging from cosmetic fit and finish issues (poor fit of inside paneling around the front windows) to mechanical issues and weird electrical issues (loose ignition switch). Once the parts were obtained these issues were corrected (threads this forum).

Shortly after that a Safety Recall came out concerning the AC/Heater switch that was corrected (I started this thread this forum). That was corrected by CW of Statesville.

Then we were made aware of a problem with the routing of the Transmission Cable and Exhaust system came into the picture (threads this forum). At the same time concern about the Front End ALignment came up...both were fixed thru the CW of Statesville a local Ford Dealership for fix on the Transmission Cable and a local Clark Truck and Tire Company.

I then had a run in with the Harris Batteries vs WF8900 Converter by WFCO. Short Reader's Digest version on this one is something the corporations called "Sulfated Dead" batteries due to undercharging by the Converter but not WFCO's fault, also Harris does not warranty their batteries in Thor Products and THor's one year warranty does not cover Batteries. Bottom line, I got screwed by all three Corporations and ended up buying new NON-HARRIS batteries out of my pocket...and in the past almost 90 days NO PROBLEM (the empirical data suggests it was bad batteries from the get-go ).

Other than a few hinges, screws and knobs no problem since October.

We have also added:
1. A Safe-T-Bar steering dampner.
2. Installed an in unit Computer system to run off the two front TV's via a fanless mini-computer, external blu-ray drive, wireless keyboard and an WIFI Router.
3. Sparetire mount to the towing hitch
4. A small floor cover to place over the steps so the dogs have a nice out of the way place for their dogbed while driving or at the end of the day.

We are in the process of taking out the couch and putting in the recliners listed in the last CW and Good Sam's catalog.

Next Mod will be tire pressure monitoring system this Spring.

In whole (other than being had by all three companies with the batteries) after the bumps and warts were taken care of we really like our Vegas 24.1R (calling R for Recliner Mod) and we really enjoy going RUV'ing in it.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #23

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Washington, D.C.
THOR #3141
Hi everyone! I'm a new member in this forum and a new RV owner in general. I picked up a new 2016 Axis 25.2 back in November.

I'm pretty handy and wasn't too phased by the initial quality issues that plague so many new RV's. Mostly, it's been loose screws and falling trim--I can handle that.

It's currently in for repairs that I couldn't do myself. (1) The windshield cracked mysteriously from the corner. There's no evidence of rock damage. I've read that this can be an issue. Thankfully, a CS rep at Thor has offered to repair that under warranty. Let's hope there are no issues with that. (2) The furnace stopped working--it fires for a few minutes, then shuts off. I have no idea what that could be. (3) The cab's defroster stopped working. This is due to faulty wiring that was the subject of a recall. I'm disappointed that the dealer didn't take care of that before delivering the unit to me.

But with those things said, I couldn't be happier with my choice of the Axis 25.2. I just love the floorplan and the overall dimensions of this RV. I'm hoping I can get these initial "gremlins" out of the way, and enjoy the thing for a while.
1987 Suzuki Samurai
pghali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 AM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I saw a 2016 Axis That as some attributes that I like.

I would like to hear from owners about the experience with these models and their impressions. Are you satisfied?

I have seen the numerous negative comments and the fewer positive comments.
I have received enough messages warning me to not buy a Thor product and I appreciate those messages. Now who will tell why I should buy Thor?

I am concerned about the F350 chassis not being beefy enough for me.

I am concerned about the quality of the build and the various components.

How is the ride, the power and the braking in hilly country, highways and county roads? Does it have enough power to satisfy an aging and sort of reformed road racer?

The bathroom doors on the 24.1 that I saw didn't close and seemed like they might last a week or two.

I have not seen a 25.3 but I like the larger shower and the dinette.

Thanks,

Bobby
I own the 2016 Vegas 25.2.
We like it. The ride is fine. The brakes are great. Built on the E450 Chassis, it feels solid. We get about 8 -9 MPG. We live in the mountains so there are grades to deal with. If I set the cruise control and then enter a downgrade it seems to work pretty hard to brake with engine. Going up hill same deal. I just don't use cruise on mountain grades. Cruise is solid on normal roads.
We find it roomy enough for trips for two....but we could not live in it. We like the swiveling Captains chairs up front. The shower is large and nice.In fact with pleanty of couter space and cabinetry, the bathroom is the best comfort feature. The AC cools it right down, the heat warms it right up. I like the Side cameras and the bluetooth stuff. I'm happy....waiting for march to get back out in it. Love the awning. Hitch rated to 8,000 lbs. I wish it would have come with ceiling vent covers. I'm adding TPMS, Battery watering System, Chassis battery blade switch.
Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Shower curtains vs. glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I get really aggravated fighting clinging shower curtains but I never had a shower door until a couple of years ago. So I know what I will be fighting. However, a curtain in an RV makes no noise while traveling and weighs a lot less FWIW.

Thanks.
Looking at the 25.2 or 25.3! Was concerned about water on the floor after showing. Is that a problem Axis/Vegas owners???
Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 PM   #26

THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Looking at the 25.2 or 25.3! Was concerned about water on the floor after showing. Is that a problem Axis/Vegas owners???
I found water on the floor of mine. It was due to window being left open in a windy rainstorm (operator headspace and timing). Other than that, no water....do have to pay attn while taking a shower that shower curtain is well positioned.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41
In our 24.1 there is occasional water but we just picked up an absorbent floormat (one small enough to fit in the bathroom) to solve that issue.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #28

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
In our 24.1 there is occasional water but we just picked up an absorbent floormat (one small enough to fit in the bathroom) to solve that issue.
Thanks for the input...would you consider installing a glass shower door?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #29

THOR #2757
Overnight camping at Walmart, Costco, Sam's, etc.

We are seriously looking at the Vegas 25.2 or 25.3 and was concerned about Walmart overnight resting. I understand you are not suppose to extend ur slide while overnight sleeping. How do you make this work if you have tried the Walmart experience?

Thanks for your help and guidance

Dino & Angie Carroll
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #30

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
....cut...
We find it roomy enough for trips for two....but we could not live in it. We like the swiveling Captains chairs up front. The shower is large and nice.In fact with pleanty of couter space and cabinetry, the bathroom is the best comfort feature. The AC cools it right down, the heat warms it right up. I like the Side cameras and the bluetooth stuff. I'm happy....waiting for march to get back out in it. Love the awning. Hitch rated to 8,000 lbs. I wish it would have come with ceiling vent covers. I'm adding TPMS, Battery watering System, Chassis battery blade switch.
Great to hear this positive feedback. We've looked at all the models except 25.4 and like the bathroom and slideless living area of your 25.2 best. Just wished Thor would offer the Twin/King bedroom of the 24.1 in lieu of the rear slide (it's such a popular bedroom plan that many buyers must like it).

We wouldn't live in it either. But I'm wondering if you ever find the living/kitchen area too crowded due to lack of front slide. For what it's worth, now that I know others have successfully replaced couch with dinette, this plan is very close to what I'm looking for. Just hope for rear Twin beds; plus a dinette "option" from factory would be nice too.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41
Probably not, the shower on the 24.1 is really small. The advantage of a curtain is that you can push it out when needed--can't do that with glass ! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:09 PM   #32

THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
... But I'm wondering if you ever find the living/kitchen area too crowded due to lack of front slide. ...
It could be crowded, but I have the "large" table stored as we usually eat outside or at the cockpit table. I made two cocktail tables for in front of the couch, but we have need, really, for just one. With that there is ample room for us and our border collie.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #33

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Same as Bill - we never use the large table. We either eat outside or use the small table between captain's chairs.

Dino -- As far as using the slide, can one of you sleep on the couch and the other use the overhead bunk when stopping at a Walmart? We have a 24.1 and when we have done this it has never been a problem.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #34

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
We had water on the floor issues in our Vegas 24.1 and I installed a piece of plexiglass 6' X 18" between the shower and the toilet (see Axis/Vegas mods page 10, posts #185 + 186 for pictures) and moved the shower head. It solved the water on the floor issue and lots of complaints. I just bought. 2016 Axis and I probably will do the same thing. The new AXis has a curved shower hanger that increases the shower space, so I think that installing a full enclosure would be too confining. The 18" wide plexiglass was a good compromise and solved the issue for me.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #35

THOR #1765
Interestingly in the 2016 models both tables are smaller. I like the size of the table by the couch. I left the old one home because it was too hard to handle. The new size looks more useable. The small one is now round and I am not sure how we will like the small size because we almost allways eat up front and it may be too small. If so, I will just have to build a new one.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #36

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Great to hear this positive feedback. We've looked at all the models except 25.4 and like the bathroom and slideless living area of your 25.2 best. Just wished Thor would offer the Twin/King bedroom of the 24.1 in lieu of the rear slide (it's such a popular bedroom plan that many buyers must like it).

We wouldn't live in it either. But I'm wondering if you ever find the living/kitchen area too crowded due to lack of front slide. For what it's worth, now that I know others have successfully replaced couch with dinette, this plan is very close to what I'm looking for. Just hope for rear Twin beds; plus a dinette "option" from factory would be nice too.
We didn't live in ours, but we were in it 4 1/2 months straight, to Alaska and back and bought a new one, so it must have been OK.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnagle6900@gmail.com View Post
It could be crowded, but I have the "large" table stored as we usually eat outside or at the cockpit table. I made two cocktail tables for in front of the couch, but we have need, really, for just one. With that there is ample room for us and our border collie.
Space is sometimes overrated. We are use to a van, and when we've needed a little more room have rented from Cruise America or others; and none have had a slide. Our first RV was a narrow Class C (same width as Axis) but had a couch across from dinette. That left an aisle between the two that was too narrow. By comparison, the Cruise America large Class Cs are wide body and have a little more room between couch and dinette. It's tight but good enough.

Given that a kitchen is not as deep as a couch or dinette, I don't see the need for us to have a front living area slide. The aisle will be wider than what I'm use to, and will keep motorhome simpler -- and better looking too.

By the way, are your new tables at standard height, or lower like a coffee table? I like idea of two small tables (I set up my van that way too). We now need forward-facing seating for children so couch won't work for us any longer.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #38

THOR #3459
Pghali,

Your cracked windshield, is it the taller one or the shorter one?

There's discussion and comparison of the two different ones, but I can't link to it from my phone.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #39

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Same as Bill - we never use the large table. We either eat outside or use the small table between captain's chairs.

Dino -- As far as using the slide, can one of you sleep on the couch and the other use the overhead bunk when stopping at a Walmart? We have a 24.1 and when we have done this it has never been a problem.
Roger that Sir...good idea...guess I better get used to climbing that ladder...LOL
Old 01-24-2016, 12:47 PM   #40

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Washington, D.C.
THOR #3141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason977 View Post
Pghali,

Your cracked windshield, is it the taller one or the shorter one?

There's discussion and comparison of the two different ones, but I can't link to it from my phone.
Mine is the taller one. Yes, I chimed in one that thread too. I think it's cracked because of poor design.
1987 Suzuki Samurai
pghali is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis, vegas