Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Roger that Sir...good idea...guess I better get used to climbing that ladder...LOL
I queried my son in law, who just made a trek staying at several Walmart cross the country, and the extended their slide at stops with never a question. I guess it depends on time of day and your desire to be a good RV ambassador.

For our small table, I just went to the big box and bought a round table top, stained it and put a easily obtainable fitting on. $20. 1 hour including travel.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:40 PM   #42

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
vegas imperssions and quality

Our 2014 Vegas had many issues, some cosmetic, some safety, some mechanical and some just plain crappy workmanship. Between myself, Thor and the dealer, I resolved most of the issues. Mor/Ryde addressed the defective driveshaft and U-joints, the dealer addressed some of the interior /exterior finish problems, Thor reimbursed me for the front-end alignment and defective tire valves, and I did the remainder of the approximately 50 QC and design issues. Took a year to get most problems resolved. The coach should have never left the factory in the condition I received it. We finally have a coach we can enjoy, and have traveled to the Smokies, all around Florida, and in between, about 8,000 miles, and like the Vegas now. It was a difficult break-in, teething period that first year. Should never be this way with a brand-new motorhome.
For sure get a front-end alignment, and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed first off. Get tire pressure monitors. The Vegas handles well, is fairly fuel efficient, and comfortable to live and travel in.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #43

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
We purchased our Axis just about a year ago now (site unseen) and I guess luck must have been on our side because it's our favorite RV so far. Everything has worked like it should. It gets used for camping and exploring places typically within a few hours of home. Primitive destinations require negotiating dirt roads and the Axis has performed quite well for what it is. The narrow width has been a benefit on several, just inches to spare, occasions. We've also stayed at campgrounds and RV park type places.

I sympathize with those that have had issues because we've experienced poor build quality and even structural issues with some previous RVs.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #44

State: New York
THOR #3192
Thor Vegas Issues

I bought my Thor Vegas 24.1 in Sept of 2016. Every RV has some issues but here were mine:

AC of Chassis was not working. Told to go to Ford. Ford says free on was never put in at assembly. 500 dollars paid but Thor reimbursed. 2 months later. AC not working. Back to Ford. Leak in the line. Not fords problem. Thor warranty is currently looking into it for approval.

At 2300 rpm the engine gurgles. Told to go to Ford. no pressure values installed at assembly. Ford said its Thor's problem. 280 spent. Waiting on approval for warranty work and reimbursement maybe?

Gap has formed between the window and plastic molding on drivers side window at the very front of RV. need to be reset. Waiting approval.

Rear drawer broke in bedroom- Fixed myself.

Mic for phone was not working. Fixed myself by pulling radio out and reconnected.

Hose fell of AC in front. Repaired myself.

Outside molding fell off left side and same piece on the right side. Thor Repaired with warranty.

heating pad fell off underneath. Thor repaired.

Gas sensor not working inside coach. Not addressed yet.

Bubbles on right wall in the wall paper. Not address yet.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #45

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I have had nothing but fun with my Vegas. At home it serves as an extra bedroom. On the road, it is easy to drive and easy to use both boondocking and in an RV Park. This site is a wealth of information. Each one of use has modified our RVs to our own liking.

I chose the 25.2 because I wanted a full-time walk around bed. In spring of 2017, I will be retiring and plan to live in the RV while I discover America.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #46

State: Arkansas
THOR #4686
Quote:
We are seriously looking at the Vegas 25.2 or 25.3 and was concerned about Walmart overnight resting. I understand you are not suppose to extend ur slide while overnight sleeping. How do you make this work if you have tried the Walmart experience?

Thanks for your help and guidance

Dino & Angie Carroll
I find the rear slide on 25.2 does not count as a slide when staying over at Walmart or something similar (have overnighted at LL Bean and Cabelos). It extends without taking up more parking space like side slides.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #47

State: Arkansas
THOR #4686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I saw a 2016 Axis That as some attributes that I like.

I would like to hear from owners about the experience with these models and their impressions. Are you satisfied?

I have seen the numerous negative comments and the fewer positive comments.
I have received enough messages warning me to not buy a Thor product and I appreciate those messages. Now who will tell why I should buy Thor?

I am concerned about the F350 chassis not being beefy enough for me.

I am concerned about the quality of the build and the various components.

How is the ride, the power and the braking in hilly country, highways and county roads? Does it have enough power to satisfy an aging and sort of reformed road racer?

The bathroom doors on the 24.1 that I saw didn't close and seemed like they might last a week or two.

I have not seen a 25.3 but I like the larger shower and the dinette.

Thanks,

Bobby
Have owned the 2017 Axis 25.2 for just over a month. Camped locally for two nights then headed to NC mountains and dry camped for 2 nights, then one night in full service hook-up in Asheville. Only minor issues except problem with in dash radio and camera that I knew about on delivery. The next week we embarked on 2500 mile round trip to Maine. (New radio waiting on me when I got back to Charleston) Absolutely love my Axis!
Old 08-27-2016, 12:16 AM   #48

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstroud11 View Post
I find the rear slide on 25.2 does not count as a slide when staying over at Walmart or something similar (have overnighted at LL Bean and Cabelos). It extends without taking up more parking space like side slides.
We have had our 25.2 at several WMts that allowed overnights, and never had a problem. Always ask for permission and park where directed.

State park campground reservations require the extended length, we learned to enter 28' rather than the spec length of 25.5'.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #49

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
[QUOTE=Andy1023;43895]I bought my Thor Vegas 24.1 in Sept of 2016. Every RV has some issues but here were mine:

Its not September yet.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #50

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #3802
We have a 2016 Thor Axis. The first month or so was rough because it had a few new kinks to work out that kept it in the shop BUT after that we have been in it non stop since May!! We have gone from our home in Austin TX to Maine and will be going back down the east coast then back to Austin for Christmas. The axis handles like a dream and attracts attentions and conversations everyplace it goes I had stabilizer bars installed WHAT a difference! I also replaced the uncomfortable sleeper sofa with an ultra cushy dual recliner sofa- AHHHHH The crazy Seiki tv's are next for the chopping block but I think it is fun to make mods )))
Old 09-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #51

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #3802
Our a/c in the chassis was also not working and that kept it in the shop going back and forth between Thor and Ford for a month. It was ultimately a Thor issue and they told the mechanics at Camping World to "switch the 2 purple wires". Whatever that meant it worked!!!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #52

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We got a 2016 Vegas 24.1 in June. It was used with 1900 miles. I verified it was on a e450 chassis with 6 spd. The attraction for us was size allows us to tow my racecar around southeast and unit is small enough that parking it almost anywhere is easy.

The dealer was North Trail RV, they were excellent.

We have not really had any issues, maybe prior owner sorted all the bugs?

I am very impressed with how effective unit is for our purpose. We took a trip to Disney campground with grandson and dog for a few days, was great. We have towed to track quite a few times and it is much happier towing the 5300 lb trailer than my 07 Suburban. We got all this for less cost than new Suburban and it costs less than 3 MPG im efficiency.

We are about to head out of state for 5 days of racing and are considering stopping at Disney again because it is so convienient now.

The freedom we now have is great.

We did have benefit of the experience of another racer who has a 2015 Vegas 24.1 and loves it.

I am considering shower bar upgrade. We already put shower head and heavier curtain, it helps small shower a lot.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #53
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I am considering shower bar upgrade. We already put shower head and heavier curtain, it helps small shower a lot.
Good morning ! Your 2016 should have THE ARC shower rod..which is the best shower rod application available for your shower...according to others on the forum and our research.
Someone did consider doing a glass enclosure, but found it was not room efficient, as I remember.

We did add the Oxygenics Shower Head, as it is water efficient while offering a strong spray. (see mods & improvements for all of our photos & comments)

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #54
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Actually: If your camper already has the ARC you could order the same ARC from Amazon and get a longer bar. It should be pretty simple to replace the bar with a longer one--just loosen the set screws, remove the old bar, and insert the new bar.

When ordering the one from Amazon, however, you'll still want to shorten that one--otherwise the bar will hang over the toilet!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #55

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
If you have an early 2016 you do not have "The Arc". The picture below is from our Vegas 24.1, early model on the E350. I left the original shower curtain on with "The Arc" installed to see the increase in space provided.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1473522579

With that said, still need to be careful when turning clockwise in the shower to rinse off one's back...as such a movement may allow for a "butt adjustment" to the lower side of the hot water handle - turning off the hot water. There really is not enough room in that shower to jump when that happens...but I tried to!!

Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6in increase.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2972   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBandB Curtain.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2973  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 PM   #56

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
WalMarts, etc.

Quote:
We are seriously looking at the Vegas 25.2 or 25.3 and was concerned about Walmart overnight resting. I understand you are not suppose to extend ur slide while overnight sleeping. How do you make this work if you have tried the Walmart experience?

Thanks for your help and guidance

Dino & Angie Carroll
Don't mean to rehash an old thread, but the hubby and I just returned from a cross-country, 2-week trip with our Vegas 25.3, and have had some experiences with WalMart overnight parking. We found that between the 5th-wheel campers, trailers, diesel-pushers and semi Tractor-trailers all sharing overnight parking with us at the Walmarts we 'camped' along the way, NOT TOO MANY of them actually used only one parking space to overnight in. While not many of them (excluding us!) extended slides for the night, MOST of the other long vehicles did park ACROSS multiple lanes, presumably to enable a fast get-away come morning. Most all the parking lots were huge, so the jackass parking habits of the '5-or-6-space-takers' was not an issue. Our slide comes out the rear driver-side, so we snugged up to islands or medians for the slide to bump out to, and stayed within our lane/parking spot. No one from Walmart ever asked any of the over-nighters to move or straighten out their rigs or fold up their slides. If awnings came out, things may have been different. LOL.
On another note, while on Navajo Reservations near the 4-corners area of the southwest, there is a noticeable lack of Walmarts, Cabelas' Bass Pro shops or other overnight-friendly lots. We ended up parking at different Basha's Grocery malls twice with no one asking us to move. Navajo areas tend to roll up the streets at 9pm, so I don't really think they cared we were there and we only had one citizen knock on the door to ask for a meal (at a decent hour and which we were happy to give!), not money, and for the rest of the night, not a soul came around.
During our 2 week trip, we never once stayed at a campground, but did stop at my sister's place for a couple days and to dump in her station at the side of her driveway. Thank you, sis!
All in all, traveling like a turtle with out home on our backs turned out to be delightful and by not having to honor reservations and be a slave to the clock, it was much more enjoyable and we experienced much more than we ever thought we would. We love over-nighting in parking lots and rest-stops!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:53 AM   #57
vkb

THOR #3510
Interesting story. We have stayed at WalMart in a pinch .. always ask permission before we pack it in for the night.
We have heard, there are a few WalMarts who have declined RV/Rigs parking, due to a problem of some over-staying their welcome !

Each to his own preference, for sure...
we enjoy camping where we can extend our slide, put out the awning, get out the lawn chairs and kick back n relax...visit with neighbors and take it all in !

Happy camping !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 09-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #58

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Interesting story. We have stayed at WalMart in a pinch .. always ask permission before we pack it in for the night.
We have heard, there are a few WalMarts who have declined RV/Rigs parking, due to a problem of some over-staying their welcome !

Each to his own preference, for sure...
we enjoy camping where we can extend our slide, put out the awning, get out the lawn chairs and kick back n relax...visit with neighbors and take it all in !

Happy camping !!
Oh Yes! We do also love 'regular camping', and will be doing exactly that at this month's end, with friends.... But for our cross-country trek, we only parked to sleep; Park and to bed at 11:30pm and up and on the road by 6:00am, latest... nothing more, so it would have been a waste of money and amenities for us to check into a campground facility. Our next outing will, for sure, involve friends, the slide, awning, lawn chairs, grill and campfire! Happy Camping, Backatcha!
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM   #59

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Oh Yes! We do also love 'regular camping', and will be doing exactly that at this month's end, with friends.... But for our cross-country trek, we only parked to sleep; Park and to bed at 11:30pm and up and on the road by 6:00am, latest... nothing more, so it would have been a waste of money and amenities for us to check into a campground facility. Our next outing will, for sure, involve friends, the slide, awning, lawn chairs, grill and campfire! Happy Camping, Backatcha!
We do much of the same when visiting a distant location. I drive long hours to get there and often stop late at night to only sleep, although we normally stop at Interstate Rest Areas to do just that -- rest. We've never overnighted at WM or other retail store or restaurant.

The main reason we don't use campgrounds sometimes along the way is to save time. I don't like pulling into a CG at 11:00 PM or after office has closed (or after dark for that matter), so it would force us to stop much earlier in the day. That could easily turn a 2-day drive into a 3-day drive, etc. I also don't know when I'm going to get tired of driving so planning ahead is too limiting.

When we have a lot of free time we prefer to stay in campgrounds along the way, even if it means only covering 400 to 500 miles a day, although that makes traveling long distances more enjoyable. Campground costs aren't much of a factor since they represent a small part of total costs. Still, $50 or more to essentially park 6 to 8 hours just to sleep does seem like a big waste.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:31 PM   #60
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
We do much of the same when visiting a distant location. I drive long hours to get there and often stop late at night to only sleep, although we normally stop at Interstate Rest Areas to do just that -- rest. We've never overnighted at WM or other retail store or restaurant.

The main reason we don't use campgrounds sometimes along the way is to save time. I don't like pulling into a CG at 11:00 PM or after office has closed (or after dark for that matter), so it would force us to stop much earlier in the day. That could easily turn a 2-day drive into a 3-day drive, etc. I also don't know when I'm going to get tired of driving so planning ahead is too limiting.

When we have a lot of free time we prefer to stay in campgrounds along the way, even if it means only covering 400 to 500 miles a day, although that makes traveling long distances more enjoyable. Campground costs aren't much of a factor since they represent a small part of total costs. Still, $50 or more to essentially park 6 to 8 hours just to sleep does seem like a big waste.
Chance .. all you said is the way we traveled when we were young ! Been there done that !! Gosh...I remember 50 years ago, when we were kids...we jumped in the car and didn't stop til we got to Albuq ! .. the only destination we had at the time 'cause we had no gear.
Now, as senior citizens...the minute we leave our driveway we are on vacation. No more busting our you-know-whats to get to the destination...We drive about 6 hours a day, now ...or less if we see an area we like. Yes, we are still gainfully self-employed ... now, we build time into our trips to .. take our time and enjoy it .. not saying you do not enjoy your trip. Over the years of motorcycle travel/tent camping...van camping, etc...
we have had so much fun ! The big box stores have served the purpose for us...and I will never rule them out if we are in a bind. Our worst experience was in Chattanooga...a couple days before July 4...24 hour Walmart...by the time we were ready to sleep, a rig pulled up on each side of us..between the noise from them and the store traffic...we left at dark-thirty to hit the road with a bit of sleep ! Oh my, the stories we can tell of camping experiences over the years !

OK...I am done....enjoy chatting with you all !! Have a great weekend !

K
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Tags
axis, vegas