Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Mississippi
THOR #25419
Buying Used Axis are these Deal Breakers Please Help

Greetings,

I went to look at a 2018 Axis 25.4 the other day. It looks to be in very good condition and looks close to new, garage kept. I did find a few flaws, which leaves me in half a mind to walk away and continue my search. If anyone can shed light on these issues and whether they seem like they could be serious problems, please let me know. The most concerning is a soft spot on the roof just in front of the vent in the living area. It is a circular depression, approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. With light pressure I was able to cause it to give inwards. I understand these roofs are made with 2 x 2 wood stringers and wondering if it could just be an oversight in the manufacturing process where the gap used was maybe a little too large. My initial though was that there is a leak somewhere around the vent, water got in and made it's way to this area, causing the soft spot. I went inside and looked at the ceiling at the corresponding area but can't tell anything. All around the vent itself seems a little soft so that also does raise a flag. Another thing I found was these black spots on the vinyl floor just in front of the bedroom (see attached pic). The owner says he thinks they used a kind of adhesive that bleeds through the floor and that is why you see the spots. One more thing I found is the wood/laminate panel which houses the fridge is wavy. If you run your hand from top to bottom, your hand goes in and out as you go down the panel. If this is only cosmetic and not a sign of water damage, it is ok with me. Apart from these things the coach looks almost new, and garage kept with low mileage. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	20211120_170811.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	34922

Old 11-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastFoiler View Post
Greetings,

I went to look at a 2018 Axis 25.4 the other day. It looks to be in very good condition and looks close to new, garage kept. I did find a few flaws, which leaves me in half a mind to walk away and continue my search. If anyone can shed light on these issues and whether they seem like they could be serious problems, please let me know. The most concerning is a soft spot on the roof just in front of the vent in the living area. It is a circular depression, approximately 6-8 inches in diameter. With light pressure I was able to cause it to give inwards. I understand these roofs are made with 2 x 2 wood stringers and wondering if it could just be an oversight in the manufacturing process where the gap used was maybe a little too large. My initial though was that there is a leak somewhere around the vent, water got in and made it's way to this area, causing the soft spot. I went inside and looked at the ceiling at the corresponding area but can't tell anything. All around the vent itself seems a little soft so that also does raise a flag. Another thing I found was these black spots on the vinyl floor just in front of the bedroom (see attached pic). The owner says he thinks they used a kind of adhesive that bleeds through the floor and that is why you see the spots. One more thing I found is the wood/laminate panel which houses the fridge is wavy. If you run your hand from top to bottom, your hand goes in and out as you go down the panel. If this is only cosmetic and not a sign of water damage, it is ok with me. Apart from these things the coach looks almost new, and garage kept with low mileage. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!Attachment 34922
Sounds like water intrusion. I would hire a certified inspector or walk away.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:20 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
If 25.4 is your desire…
There are lots out there

But in this market all choices are premium priced
Old 11-22-2021, 12:32 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Sounds like water intrusion. I would hire a certified inspector or walk away.
What he said. Always be able to walk away from any deal. The only thing for sure: Know exactly what is going on. Do not guess. Then you can make an informed decision.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:52 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
An apparent small problem can get really expensive to resolve. The seller might find somebody who doesn't see the problem, but you'll be smart to leave this one in the rear view mirror. IMHO

BTW, welcome to the forum! You started with a great question!
Old 11-22-2021, 01:05 AM   #6

THOR #25419
Thanks all for the replies.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:22 AM   #7

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
If you might want a 25.2 I’m considering selling my 2016
Old 11-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #8

THOR #25419
Thanks but I do like having the dinette.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #9

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
We like the 25.4 with the full time bed. Pulled out the dinette for a sleeper sofa. There is no adhesive under the flooring, it's rolled out first and held in place with the walls and cabinets. The roof is concerning. It's very thin luan.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:41 PM   #10

THOR #25419
That's good to know. If not adhesive then maybe it's something to do with a leak from the shower, which is right next to that area.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:22 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just me... but if I found soft spots walking the roof, it's a no-go. And those stains on the floor are VERY suspicious. I KNOW the vinyl isn't glued... that's straight from Thor.

To me, structural repair in an RV is something I would avoid at all costs. I've seen what water damage can do. And unless you owned the rig when the damage happened, you're flying blind.

I'll replace a furnace, refrigerator, water heater, etc... but when there's water damage? Not taking that gamble. JMHO.