Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Axis / Vegas impressions and experience?

I saw a 2016 Axis That as some attributes that I like.

I would like to hear from owners about the experience with these models and their impressions. Are you satisfied?

I have seen the numerous negative comments and the fewer positive comments.
I have received enough messages warning me to not buy a Thor product and I appreciate those messages. Now who will tell why I should buy Thor?

I am concerned about the F350 chassis not being beefy enough for me.

I am concerned about the quality of the build and the various components.

How is the ride, the power and the braking in hilly country, highways and county roads? Does it have enough power to satisfy an aging and sort of reformed road racer?

The bathroom doors on the 24.1 that I saw didn't close and seemed like they might last a week or two.

I have not seen a 25.3 but I like the larger shower and the dinette.

Thanks,

Bobby

Old 01-02-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First of all: The 2016 Axis (and Vegas) models are now built on an E450 chassis--ask the dealer if the unit you are interested in is an E450--it probably is.

The Axis/Vegas suffers the same internet impression that you get with any unit: Only people with issues post; the happy people are out camping, not posting here.

Overall they are pretty good units; there are many happy owners here (some that have had to do a bunch of "owner warranty" and some, like myself, have had to do very little "owner warranty"--"owner warranty" = fix stuff yourself).

I think I'd rank them as having a bit higher quality than your average Thor unit (not a very high bar to clear though).

Power: You can't beat the V-10 for power. Consider that its the same V-10 that is in all the larger F-53 based campers. Plenty of pep and power for just about anything that you want to do with it--that does come with a thirst, though. Expect between 8-10 mpg depending on speed, load, towing, etc.

Its an E-Series chassis: go take a ride in one of those E-350/E-450 based airport shuttles..it rides the same. There are many posts on here about people adding various suspension modifications to assist. Personally I'm pretty happy with the way it rides. One thing though: Get an alignment after you've loaded it up with your stuff.

Braking: second to none. We've had to stomp on the brakes a few times--I swear it stops shorter than our Focus (which also has excellent brakes).

Having said all that: We are very happy with our Axis.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:20 AM   #3

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
I have been very pleased with the operation of my 2015 Axis. I have found the 350 to be plenty for this unit. My only suggestion is that you add a Safe T Plus and get a front end alignment afterwards. After I did I found it to track very well and be a pleasure to drive. You may even be able to work in the alignment and handling fix during the purchase.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:47 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
We're quite pleased and happy with our Axis. Haven't had many complaints with the quality and handling. I don't have the safe t plus stabilizer or trac bar; only what it came equipped with. It drives quite well except in windy conditions and don't feel a need to add those just yet. I did have an alignment done as recommended though.

My only negative comment would be the small shower. I'm 6'2 and find it rather challenging in keeping the shower from "clinging". I usually use the campground shower as an option but will go a few rounds with it on occasion usually followed by some expletives I won't mention.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! There plenty of opinions on this forum if you do some searching. Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing a unit, it's different strokes for different folks. We like to keep an RV for several years, so try to anticipate what our needs will be beyond our next trip.

We have a 2016 Vegas 25.2 (E350) and are happy with it, after over 6000 miles and about 70 nights. We like the bigger shower that the 25.2 has, and the walk around queen bed. We like the smaller footprint, driveablility and better quality than our previous Class A. Storage and living space are acceptable for us, and an occasional young guest.

RV's generally don't have the fit and finish of autos. Complaints about the fixtures and chassis shouldn't be blamed on the RV manufacturer, but on the supplier. Also, consider the beating these houses on wheels take going down the road. Vegas/Axis units seem to be improving in quality from earlier models, so keep that in mind as you read complaints on 2014s and 2015s.

Finding a motor home that handles like a sports car is like finding a unicorn or leprechaun. They don't exist either! We tow a sports car for that experience.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 AM   #6

Model: SOB
State: Colorado
THOR #2733
My first impression has been positive.

However,…..at the end of the day I purchased an RV with the expectation that it is an entry level coach. And even among entry level coaches, it was on the less expensive end. Tens of thousands of dollars means the cost savings will show up in places. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to beef up things like re-stapling seat cushions (yes the back-end seat cushions are stapled). Every drawer had to be re-stapled. Velcro strips were replaced so that they were properly located, exterior storage compartments need upgraded locks, shower and privacy curtains need upgraded to something that will last more than a week, the dinette cushions need to be replaced with something that actually fulfills the function they were intended for (trying to contort the cushions in place to make a bed is a joke) and I could go on.

But at the end of the day I would have spent nearly double to get a more refined coach, and that would mean there WOUDN’T be a coach. So for me, the Axis is great, it drives well, smaller size fits our needs, gets slightly better gas mileage than larger rigs, and most importantly, allows my wife and I to get out there now.

If your expectation is a well refined, high-end coach, The Axis/Vegas may need some custom or after market upgrades to meet your needs. No right or wrong, just right for you.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
We bought our 2016 Vegas 24.1 in May 2015. It is on the E-350 chassis.

After almost 10,000 miles we are still very happy with it. Having owned other class A's, class C's and one class B we are more than happy with our purchase decision.

I changed the shower curtain to a heavier one to lessen the clingyness. Works well now. I built removable shelves for the closet as we seldom need to hang clothes. I added a bug screen & rock guard behind the front grill to protect the radiator.

These were all cosmetic changes of our choosing, not out of necessity.

There are a few "head scratchers" that make me wonder if the designers/engineers were actually showing a pulse at the time of design (location of chassis battery and of oil fill neck). But, with a little "pondering" I have pretty well figured out work arounds!

Long story short - We would buy again.

Best luck and hope to see you on the road somewhere, some day!
Old 01-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
We bought our 2015 Vegas 24.1 this past Aug and have just a little over 5000 miles on it. I echo all the previous comments. We had a few warranty issues that were addressed pretty quickly by Thor and our dealer. We have been out probably 10 times and we really like and enjoy our Vegas.

Warranty work -- if this is your first RV you'll find warranty work on it is not like on your car. When you have an issue you take it to the dealer. They evaluate the problem. Then they contact Thor to authorize the warranty repair (meaning Thor will pay them for the work). If parts are required, Thor will ship the the parts. All of this can take time. I had a stress crack develop in my windshield and the authorization to repair and shipment of the new windshield took about 2 1/2 weeks (but that was also between Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Dealer -- this could be your most important decision. Generally we pick a dealer based on the best sell price. But you really need to do good research on their record of service after sales. They buy their inventory from Thor and like a new house, those units come with a pretty long punch list of fit, finish, and quality items. A good dealer does a thorough walkthrough and fixes all that stuff before anyone even looks at the inventory. A less than quality dealer just puts it on the lot and expects the customer to find all the problems - buyer beware. You should never sign a contract with a long list of things the dealer promises to fix later. You can find comments on this forum of people buying a new RV and not being able to use it for months because it is sitting at the dealer's waiting for parts and or repair. My walkthrough pre-delivery inspection with the dealer took 4 hours. We found three minor problems that were fixed immediately before we even drove out. In their prep, they had even removed all the drawers and vacuumed up all the construction dust, dirt, screws, bits of wood from under the cabinets and under the bed storage areas.

Manuals -- you'll get a canvas bag with manuals for all the appliances and a generic Thor manual. It's a lot of literature. The Thor manual is pretty generic for ALL Thor products and leaves a lot to the imagination. Working with several contributed to the Thor forum, I compiled an in-depth owners' manual specific to Axis/Vegas. It also has several camping checklists. Additionally, there is a very detailed pre-delivery checklist specific to the Axis/Vegas. Send an email to bevedfelker@live.com and I'll forward you a copy.

Good luck -- and let us know what you decide.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:39 PM   #9

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
First of all: The 2016 Axis (and Vegas) models are now built on an E450 chassis--ask the dealer if the unit you are interested in is an E450--it probably is.

The Axis/Vegas suffers the same internet impression that you get with any unit: Only people with issues post; the happy people are out camping, not posting here.

Overall they are pretty good units; there are many happy owners here (some that have had to do a bunch of "owner warranty" and some, like myself, have had to do very little "owner warranty"--"owner warranty" = fix stuff yourself).

I think I'd rank them as having a bit higher quality than your average Thor unit (not a very high bar to clear though).

Power: You can't beat the V-10 for power. Consider that its the same V-10 that is in all the larger F-53 based campers. Plenty of pep and power for just about anything that you want to do with it--that does come with a thirst, though. Expect between 8-10 mpg depending on speed, load, towing, etc.

Its an E-Series chassis: go take a ride in one of those E-350/E-450 based airport shuttles..it rides the same. There are many posts on here about people adding various suspension modifications to assist. Personally I'm pretty happy with the way it rides. One thing though: Get an alignment after you've loaded it up with your stuff.

Braking: second to none. We've had to stomp on the brakes a few times--I swear it stops shorter than our Focus (which also has excellent brakes).

Having said all that: We are very happy with our Axis.
thanks. i checked because at first the salesman said it was a 450 but he doubled checked and said it is a 350.

I feel more positive about it now.

Since the outside temperature is below freezing at night here I started wondering how "chilly" these units are with all of the glass around the cockpit. And how hot in the summer.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #10

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
I have been very pleased with the operation of my 2015 Axis. I have found the 350 to be plenty for this unit. My only suggestion is that you add a Safe T Plus and get a front end alignment afterwards. After I did I found it to track very well and be a pleasure to drive. You may even be able to work in the alignment and handling fix during the purchase.
Thanks for the advice. I will do both if I buy one.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #11

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
We're quite pleased and happy with our Axis. Haven't had many complaints with the quality and handling. I don't have the safe t plus stabilizer or trac bar; only what it came equipped with. It drives quite well except in windy conditions and don't feel a need to add those just yet. I did have an alignment done as recommended though.

My only negative comment would be the small shower. I'm 6'2 and find it rather challenging in keeping the shower from "clinging". I usually use the campground shower as an option but will go a few rounds with it on occasion usually followed by some expletives I won't mention.
I get really aggravated fighting clinging shower curtains but I never had a shower door until a couple of years ago. So I know what I will be fighting. However, a curtain in an RV makes no noise while traveling and weighs a lot less FWIW.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #12

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum! There plenty of opinions on this forum if you do some searching. Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing a unit, it's different strokes for different folks. We like to keep an RV for several years, so try to anticipate what our needs will be beyond our next trip.

We have a 2016 Vegas 25.2 (E350) and are happy with it, after over 6000 miles and about 70 nights. We like the bigger shower that the 25.2 has, and the walk around queen bed. We like the smaller footprint, driveablility and better quality than our previous Class A. Storage and living space are acceptable for us, and an occasional young guest.

RV's generally don't have the fit and finish of autos. Complaints about the fixtures and chassis shouldn't be blamed on the RV manufacturer, but on the supplier. Also, consider the beating these houses on wheels take going down the road. Vegas/Axis units seem to be improving in quality from earlier models, so keep that in mind as you read complaints on 2014s and 2015s.

Finding a motor home that handles like a sports car is like finding a unicorn or leprechaun. They don't exist either! We tow a sports car for that experience.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:46 PM   #13

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV1863 View Post
My first impression has been positive.

However,…..at the end of the day I purchased an RV with the expectation that it is an entry level coach. And even among entry level coaches, it was on the less expensive end. Tens of thousands of dollars means the cost savings will show up in places. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to beef up things like re-stapling seat cushions (yes the back-end seat cushions are stapled). Every drawer had to be re-stapled. Velcro strips were replaced so that they were properly located, exterior storage compartments need upgraded locks, shower and privacy curtains need upgraded to something that will last more than a week, the dinette cushions need to be replaced with something that actually fulfills the function they were intended for (trying to contort the cushions in place to make a bed is a joke) and I could go on.

But at the end of the day I would have spent nearly double to get a more refined coach, and that would mean there WOUDN’T be a coach. So for me, the Axis is great, it drives well, smaller size fits our needs, gets slightly better gas mileage than larger rigs, and most importantly, allows my wife and I to get out there now.

If your expectation is a well refined, high-end coach, The Axis/Vegas may need some custom or after market upgrades to meet your needs. No right or wrong, just right for you.
Thanks. Knowing what to expect helps to limit the aggravation.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #14

THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine By Choice View Post
We bought our 2016 Vegas 24.1 in May 2015. It is on the E-350 chassis.

After almost 10,000 miles we are still very happy with it. Having owned other class A's, class C's and one class B we are more than happy with our purchase decision.

I changed the shower curtain to a heavier one to lessen the clingyness. Works well now. I built removable shelves for the closet as we seldom need to hang clothes. I added a bug screen & rock guard behind the front grill to protect the radiator.

These were all cosmetic changes of our choosing, not out of necessity.

There are a few "head scratchers" that make me wonder if the designers/engineers were actually showing a pulse at the time of design (location of chassis battery and of oil fill neck). But, with a little "pondering" I have pretty well figured out work arounds!

Long story short - We would buy again.

Best luck and hope to see you on the road somewhere, some day!
thank you.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #15

State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
thanks. i checked because at first the salesman said it was a 450 but he doubled checked and said it is a 350.

I feel more positive about it now.

Since the outside temperature is below freezing at night here I started wondering how "chilly" these units are with all of the glass around the cockpit. And how hot in the summer.
The chassis heat and a/c seem to be quite adequate. I haven't had any discomfort with either while driving. Just takes awhile for the changeover thru the ducts when adjusting from warm to cool or vice versa in heat mode.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby
Our first camping trip with our Axis was a very chilly weekend in April (in Michigan, https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com...maiden-voyage/ ). With temps hovering in the 30s all weekend the camper remained pretty cozy the whole time. We did, however, burn through an entire tank of propane that weekend.

As far as warm: Yes the large front window does radiate heat a bit (and gives you a fishbowl affect as well with people walking by). We purchased a screen to cover the front to minimize the heat (and peering eyes). Look in this thread for details on the cover:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...axis-1433.html
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:02 AM   #17

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
All the RVs I have owned have had thin walls and single pane windows, so the inside temp will fairly quickly match the outside. We carry a small ceramic heater for cold nights, it's surprising how well it warms the coach. The LP tank is pretty small.

On sunny and hot days on the road, we will run the generator and the roof AC, along with the dash AC to stay comfortable, especially until it cools down. We were glad we ordered the optional bigger AC. When parked, we'll leave the front screen down if the sun bears down on that big front window. Despite the heat gain, we love the big view.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:31 AM   #18

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
We have the optional 15K roof A/C and my wife keeps our Vegas like a meat locker -- and that is during summer camping in FL. We were camping in PA in Sep and we had a few nights go down to upper 40s. Heater worked great and kept the coach toasty warm. At night we turned down the heat because we like to sleep in a cool room and the heater just made it too hot. We changed out the shower liner and left the outer shower curtain off. Now the liner doesn't stock to the body when showering. (The shower takes some getting used to because of its tiny size). We really like the huge windshield and seldom have the shade down during the day. The upper tint on the windshield and the great A/C minimizes the effect of the sun shining in. The V-10 has plenty of power - it's easy to find yourself doing 75 on the interstate if you are not watching your speed. It is a high rpm engine and one might think it is underpowered because it can get loud - but that is just normal for this engine.

We really love our Vegas 24.1. We find itbthe perfect size and floorplan for the 2 of us and our 15 lb dog.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
Just arrived home from a 5 day trip where it got to 28 degrees at night. We carry a small ceramic heater and use at night. We used all the propane and were very comfortable.

Filled with fuel 24 gallons anf propane 8.5 gallons.

All tucked in and preparing for our 2 1/2 month trip to Baja (29 days in Baja).

Life is good
Old 01-09-2016, 04:57 PM   #20

State: New York
THOR #3401
Unhappy 2015 Axis

I purchased my unit in September 2014 and to date have just over 3600 miles on the unit. I have not utilized this unit as designed, traveling or camping, since date of purchase and all the recorded miles have been placed traveling back and forth to either the place of purchase, Camping World, or the Thor factory. Just got the unit back from its trip to the factory for leakage issues and was directed to go a fill with fuel as was delivered back to me on E. Did so and now no longer have a radio or backup camera that works. I most certainly can go on with all the issues and attempts to fix by either Camping World, this one now closed, or return to Indiana, but do NOT recommend any Thor unit. I do see there are many users of this Forum that support this unit and I am happy for them and hope they continue having great times with this vehicle.

Tags
axis, vegas