Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #6761
Currently shopping , ACE Axis/Vegas

Hello Everyone,
I just began searching for a new motorhome. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a question or two.
I am trying to narrow down my search. I am looking for a new class A motorhome that is under 30, that doesn't have a slide in the bedroom, and has a sofa instead of a dinette.
Thor has two options that seem to fit the bill, the ACE 29.2 and the Axis/Vegas 25.5. My questions are, is the drop down bed over the cab comfortable for a single adult (5'10 male , 175 pounds) to sleep on for full time use, and is the bed in the 25.5 annoying to set up everyday.
Thank you very much for the time and the courtesy, Michael

Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Sleeping in the drop down

Hi,
There are 3 of us all Adults. We chose the Axis 24.1 because we wanted 3 beds that would fit adults (the 24.1 has the 2 twins that make 1 king in the back). I actually sleep in the drop down (I'm 6' and 235lbs). I would recommend you get a good 6" mattress for the drop down bed. The 3" one that comes with it was not enough for me. We purchased a 6" Denver mattress and I find it very comfortable. I prefer the drop down platform because it my it gives me more room in length than standard twin size. I find my feet press against the wall in the twin beds in the back. The obvious problem with having the a thicker mattress in the drop down is the platform will not raise all the way to the ceiling when stowing. I got around this by making some safety cables that allow me drive with the platform a few inches lower than normal and it also allows me to keep my ladder, pillows, blankets, and other stuff up there when stowed. See the thread (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...pins-6202.html) for discussion on this. Hope this helps!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have an early 24.1 (2014) that came with an air mattress for that drop down bunk. Due to that the lip on the bunk is only about 1.5" - 2" deep. My son couldn't stand sleeping on the air mattress so we picked up a custom foam one that was 3" medium density foam, 3" memory foam and trifold. Its now the most comfortable bed in the RV!

When we're driving we leave the mattress folded up in the back with the bunk all the way up and locked. When we're camping I leave the mattress on the bunk and just raise it until the top of the mattress hits the ceiling. So far so good.

The good thing is that the bunk in the Axis/Vegas units is rated for 500lbs (not that my son is anywhere near that much ! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcanary View Post
Hello Everyone,
I just began searching for a new motorhome. I was wondering if someone could help me out with a question or two.
I am trying to narrow down my search. I am looking for a new class A motorhome that is under 30, that doesn't have a slide in the bedroom, and has a sofa instead of a dinette.
Thor has two options that seem to fit the bill, the ACE 29.2 and the Axis/Vegas 25.5. My questions are, is the drop down bed over the cab comfortable for a single adult (5'10 male , 175 pounds) to sleep on for full time use, and is the bed in the 25.5 annoying to set up everyday.
Thank you very much for the time and the courtesy, Michael

I asked the sales person at Tampa RV Supershow to convert the bed on the 25.5 floorplan, and it didn't look that hard, but it wasn't extremely easy either if looking for something like pushing a button. I would personally not want to do it every night, but mostly because converting to King bed blocks access to bathroom. And even getting from bed to bathroom in "King" mode was less than ideal. Again, this is only at a show -- maybe with experience of ownership it would get easier.

My main interest was to see if the 25.5 beds could be installed in back of a 24.1 to create a lounge area. As long as beds are left as twins, I don't see why they wouldn't be easy to make. The back cushions would have to find a new home if not used to make a King. Note that 25.5 twin beds are a little narrower than those of 24.1, so reaching overhead cabinets should be slightly easier.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor has a video on that:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
We spent many hours on multiple visits to MHSRV looking at the various models before finally settling on our 2017 Axis 24.1. We debated between the 24.1 and 25.5 for months & liked the bigger bathroom in the 25.5, but as has been said before, getting to the bathroom when it's in a king configuration would be a pain for everyone involved. We also found converting the twins into a king was not easy, none of the salesmen could do it easily either. And on a couple of the new units the mechanisms were already broken from people trying to pull up on the divers side bed to slide it across. Piecing the cushions together to "make" a king wasn't comfortable either. If they'd just move that bigger bathroom forward and leave the twins in back like the 24.1 they'd have a winner in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:04 AM   #7

State: New York
THOR #6761
Thank you for the quick replies
If the drop down can be made to sleep comfortably then the 25.5 might be a better lay out for me than the 24.1 since I will be spending more time alone in it and the bathroom in the back won't be an issue.
Michael
Old 03-14-2017, 01:12 AM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The ACE 29.2 doesn't have a bedroom slide, it does have a sofa and a dinette. 29ft 9 inches long and on an F-53 chassis.