Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
dadepfan's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
Posts: 13
THOR #10643
Unhappy Bathroom Doors

Hello Everyone! I'm new to this forum, even though we bought our 2016 Gemini 23TR in June of 2016. It has had very little use (my wife still works), with just under 7K mile on it. We have had a lot of problems however, unfortunately mostly after the warranty expired. I will be posting about them, but I wanted to start with a problem I have not yet seen mentioned here the bathroom doors.

As you know, the bathroom has two doors, a smaller one that opens into the bathroom, and a larger door that opens outward, almost touching the refrigerator. When both are closed against the magnetic stops, the outside edges should be lined up with a small gap between, covered by an extra lip on the larger door.

Unfortunately, last Spring something warped, and these doors would not both close at the same time they overlap slightly. We were still in warranty, so I called Thor. They told me a claim had already been filed and paid on this problem. I discovered that my dealer (Camping World of Burlington, WA more than 2 hours and two $40 ferry rides away) had fixed the problem before we picked up the RV. So I took it back to the dealer, and sure enough, after wiggling the doors a little and trying them several times, they closed fine a feat I have been unable to duplicate since!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Luckily, it is just my wife and I, and we are OK using it that way because when the larger door is open all the way, it blocks the bathroom and bedroom from view for the front of the RV, and closing the accordion bedroom door, blocks the view from the bedroom.

Any thoughts??
__________________

__________________
dadepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
Posts: 87
THOR #8277
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadepfan View Post
Hello Everyone! I'm new to this forum, even though we bought our 2016 Gemini 23TR in June of 2016. It has had very little use (my wife still works), with just under 7K mile on it. We have had a lot of problems however, unfortunately mostly after the warranty expired. I will be posting about them, but I wanted to start with a problem I have not yet seen mentioned here the bathroom doors.



As you know, the bathroom has two doors, a smaller one that opens into the bathroom, and a larger door that opens outward, almost touching the refrigerator. When both are closed against the magnetic stops, the outside edges should be lined up with a small gap between, covered by an extra lip on the larger door.



Unfortunately, last Spring something warped, and these doors would not both close at the same time they overlap slightly. We were still in warranty, so I called Thor. They told me a claim had already been filed and paid on this problem. I discovered that my dealer (Camping World of Burlington, WA more than 2 hours and two $40 ferry rides away) had fixed the problem before we picked up the RV. So I took it back to the dealer, and sure enough, after wiggling the doors a little and trying them several times, they closed fine a feat I have been unable to duplicate since!



I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem? Luckily, it is just my wife and I, and we are OK using it that way because when the larger door is open all the way, it blocks the bathroom and bedroom from view for the front of the RV, and closing the accordion bedroom door, blocks the view from the bedroom.



Any thoughts??


I have the same problem with my doors not closing. They overlap an 1/8" or more. I m still under warranty also but I don't think my Wife and I have shut the short door since we have owned it. I had even thought about removing it to make more leg room. I have a carpentry shop so I will probably remove the short door and rip a 1/4" off the backside and be done with it. Be better than waiting on CW to fix.
__________________

__________________
Bfdchief24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
airforceret's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
Posts: 272
THOR #6414
We had a similar problem on a previous RV and I just removed the door and replaced it with a nice full length curtain on a mounted curtain rod. Was simpler and easier to use than the door ever was.
__________________
Roger, Dawn, and Roxie
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,229
THOR #5821
Not a big fan of those doors. On ours both open out, smaller door to the rear, slightly overlaps the larger front door. Other then the magnets needing to be re-attached, haven't really had problems with them, they just seem always to be in the way. Dealer tells me they have simply removed those doors on some, and the accordion door for the bedroom can double as a bathroom door.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 7,730
THOR #8860
I've got nuthin' for you on the doors...
But good luck, and welcome aboard!
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
Posts: 119
THOR #4843
While I do not have a specific answer for your situation, I had a similar issue on our coach. I have found numerous issues depending on temperature. Our bathroom door would not open up all the way in cold weather. The door would hit the shower enclosure. In hot weather it was fine. I measured the distance to the interior walls in both conditions to verify. In cold temperatures the distance between the interior walls was 3/8" narrower. I removed the door and adjusted the hinges to split the difference and have had no further issues....
__________________
Steve70605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 7,730
THOR #8860
Would it have been easier to move to a warmer climate?
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
Posts: 119
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Would it have been easier to move to a warmer climate?
We live in SW Louisiana - plenty warm but kids live in frozen tundra..... Too many of them to all come down for Xmas..... So we brave the cold for them!
__________________
Steve70605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 7,730
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
We live in SW Louisiana - plenty warm but kids live in frozen tundra..... Too many of them to all come down for Xmas..... So we brave the cold for them!
Don't you just HATE it when this happens?
They should band together, and build you a heated storage building.
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Synergy TT24
State: West Virginia
Posts: 147
THOR #3433
My Synergy bathroom doors both swing out and had a small overlap at the top so I used a palm sander to help things a bit. It's still snug but nowhere near the tug-of-war that it was. Now I have to wait for warmer temperatures to troubleshoot a propane leak.
__________________
Ed & Robin Lively
with Nina, Kitt, and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24 (a.k.a "Ming")
KC8RXQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (2017)
State: California
Posts: 1,229
THOR #5821
I guess because the hall to the bedroom is so narrow, if there are going to be bathroom doors, they have to use two smaller ones. On ours, they seem, always to be in the way. Not that big a deal to remove them, but haven't decided that's the way I want to go, at least not yet. Pocket doors can't work there, but some sort of folding door, perhaps could.
__________________
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 7,459
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I guess because the hall to the bedroom is so narrow, if there are going to be bathroom doors, they have to use two smaller ones. On ours, they seem, always to be in the way. Not that big a deal to remove them, but haven't decided that's the way I want to go, at least not yet. Pocket doors can't work there, but some sort of folding door, perhaps could.
Your bathroom arrangement is very similar to the one in our Axis (in fact the Gemni 24LP model is identical to the Axis/Vegas 24.1 floorplan).

In the early Axis/Vegas units (like ours) that bathroom door is/was a folding door. The door is hinged on the front wall of the bathroom, with a fold in the door somewhere in the middle. The end of the door rides on a diagonal track hanging from the ceiling. We actually like this arrangement (was one of the selling points when we purchased it).

Floorplan:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorplan241.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	8947
View looking forward from the beds with the door open:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	8949
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Bob Denman's Avatar
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: New York
Posts: 7,730
THOR #8860
That's a nice setup because it can be used to separate the rear sleeping area, from the living area.
__________________
Good Sam Member 843599689
FMCA Member F473304

Current coach: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
Former coach: Thor Outlaw 29-H
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
dadepfan's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
Posts: 13
THOR #10643
Smile Thanks for the responses

Thanks to everyone for the information and insight provided!
__________________

__________________
dadepfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
23tr, bathroom doors, gemini, thor

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2