Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
my engine alternator will charge the house batteries when driving

Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #11928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPonygirl View Post
It always clicked, and I would make sure that the lights were off (to make sure it was really off), but it wasn't. In three days all batteries would go dead and we had to jump with another vehicle. The dealer had issues identifying the problem, and could not figure out what Thor had done regarding the wiring schematics. Shore power wasn't a problem, so we used it for trips but no dry camping. While driving the service manager had us stick a piece of paper under the switch on the dash that connects all of the batteries to keep them connected, so the engine would charge while we were driving.

Thanks. So far I can live with it, as I haven't had anymore problems with the batteries discharging... just so long as I carefully check to ensure the switch has actually disconnected power! It's just hard to understand why it takes two cycles of the switch each time for it to do this!
Old 11-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #23

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
Thanks. So far I can live with it, as I haven't had anymore problems with the batteries discharging... just so long as I carefully check to ensure the switch has actually disconnected power! It's just hard to understand why it takes two cycles of the switch each time for it to do this!
My hubby thinks your switch may be going bad. I've had a few RVs and it always takes one push of the switch. If you are still under warranty, I would make them change it now, then out of your pocket later. And like ours, it could be more than that. Good luck, and safe travels.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #11928
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPonygirl View Post
My hubby thinks your switch may be going bad. I've had a few RVs and it always takes one push of the switch. If you are still under warranty, I would make them change it now, then out of your pocket later. And like ours, it could be more than that. Good luck, and safe travels.

Thanks much. I'll have to give Thor a call and see if they will send me a new switch. It'd be easier for me to change it myself than put it back on the road this time of year, and try to find a service center within a reasonable distance! Luckily, I have plenty of time before warranty expires...
Old 11-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #25

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Georgia
THOR #13014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propwash View Post
Thanks much. I'll have to give Thor a call and see if they will send me a new switch. It'd be easier for me to change it myself than put it back on the road this time of year, and try to find a service center within a reasonable distance! Luckily, I have plenty of time before warranty expires...
Cool Beans!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #26

Model: Siesta 24ST
State: Maryland
THOR #3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsottile View Post
No its not plugged in. Thanks for the advice
Hi jsottile, what did you do about the parasitic drain from the radio? On my 2018 Thor Siesta Sprinter the chassis battery goes dead in two weeks max when stored (no shore, switch in "store"). Now with colder weather, two weeks is down to maybe one week... Thor mentioned maybe I have a radio drain issue...
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #27

State: California
THOR #10354
Battery drain in "store" measures 8 mA

I've seen so many battery comments so I decided to measure the battery load current on my 2017 Vegas 25.2. In the "store" mode, with the shore power disconnected, the drain current measures 8 mA. A new or good battery installed in these Thor Axis/Vegas models having two deep discharge batteries would each have 40-60AH (Amp Hour) available so the 8mA load would last for (50AHx2)/(8mA)=520 days.

This tells me that you can leave batteries in good condition (<2 years old and have not been totally discharged (<11V) during their lifetime) left in "store" mode for many weeks at a time, and I have with good results.

I, too had problems with my originally supplied batteries probably because the dealership did not keep the batteries charged when sitting on the lot (for almost a year). I replaced the batteries, available at Costco, and have not had a problem for the last year.

Leaving lead acid batteries in a discharged state for even a short period of time can severely reduce their life and fully discharging them to begin with is very bad for the life of a lead acid battery.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #8604
I didn’t have a draw problem on my Thor like I did with a past Coachman but I installed battery disconnects on the coach and engine batteries out of habit I guess. I disconnect both when storing the unit. Haven’t had a problem nor do I expect one until the batteries die from age.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #29

Model: Quantum
State: Alabama
THOR #13457
I have an in-use switch that I turn on when I get into the coach. The lights work, and then turn it off when I leave. The batteries just won't seem to charge.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yup when you turn it off you are also disconnecting the charger.

Leave in use whenever your are plugged in (basically: the only time to put in store is when it is in storage unplugged).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote