Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Alberta
THOR #8386
Angry Battery compartment 2018 Windsport 29M

We bought a new 29M 2018 Windsport and took it in for the usual warranty problems a new motorhome has, nothing to lose sleep over, however I had a major concern regarding the two 12 volt batteries and the space they allowed for their installation. I asked how I check the water level, he said I should disconnect the many cables and wires them perhaps take the batteries out. I told him he must be joking, he said he was not. I asked if they would authorize the dealer to install a slide out. He said no. He would not budge after practically begging him. Has anyone any clue of idea how I can service these batteries without removing them.? This is our 7th new motorhome. We have been camping a long time and find this situation unbelievable.
E&P

Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Florida
THOR #2154
You might want to investigate the "Flow-Rite-MP2010-Qwik-Fill-Battery-Kit" for two 12 volt batteries. I use the equivalent one for my two 6-volt batteries. It allows you to top off the batteries without being able to see the levels or reach the top caps easily.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:00 AM   #3

State: Alberta
THOR #8386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
You might want to investigate the "Flow-Rite-MP2010-Qwik-Fill-Battery-Kit" for two 12 volt batteries. I use the equivalent one for my two 6-volt batteries. It allows you to top off the batteries without being able to see the levels or reach the top caps easily.
I researched your suggestion and I think I will go with it. Seems like the only logical solution.
Thanks Tom
Old 09-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I use an inspection mirror and a flashlight. It's a little difficult to get the caps off but not bad. To put in water I use a 99 cent clear condiment squeeze bottle from WalMart with about 6-8 inches of small tubing on the end, works great! In a little over a year I've only had to add water twice.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 AM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
The battery tray in my ws31 will hold 4 batteries, but 2 will be completely hidden. I ordered the quick-fill system to use on mine, just haven't installed all 4 yet.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 PM   #6

State: California
THOR #10552
Can't believe how difficult it is to check the battery water on the Windsport 29M. Terrible terrible design. I agree...there should be a slide out tray. Come on Thor! I purchased the Qwik-fill but even that is going to be difficult to install unless I disconnect and remove the batteries. Has anyone modified this tray for easier access?
Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
You can install the qwik fill without removing the cables. I did it in about 5 minutes. I do agree they should put in a tray. But the quik fill makes it easy

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:39 AM   #8

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurkaep View Post
We bought a new 29M 2018 Windsport and took it in for the usual warranty problems a new motorhome has, nothing to lose sleep over, however I had a major concern regarding the two 12 volt batteries and the space they allowed for their installation. I asked how I check the water level, he said I should disconnect the many cables and wires them perhaps take the batteries out. I told him he must be joking, he said he was not. I asked if they would authorize the dealer to install a slide out. He said no. He would not budge after practically begging him. Has anyone any clue of idea how I can service these batteries without removing them.? This is our 7th new motorhome. We have been camping a long time and find this situation unbelievable.
E&P
Wear a pair of gloves so your clothes or hands dont get acid on them accidentally. Get a couple of zip ties to temporilly tie each bunch of cables to each of the eyelets on the ends, so they won't get mixed up when you take them off ONE post at a time. With the cables off now on ONE battery, Pull out this battery and using a bristle brush, clean the compartment and cables. Use Baking soda and water to wash out area. Reinstall that battery, cut one zip tie and reattach the back cable to the post. Do the same thing to the other cable to the front post connection. Make sure each cable is tight to the clamps and spray the clamps with the anti corrosion spray. May have to spray the compartment with baking soda and water if it needs it. Oh yeah, if you have a camp stool, it comes in handy cause you'll be awhile doing this. If you have to add any water to the batteries, get distilled Water and do it while you have the batteries out. Have lots of room to do it here.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurkaep View Post
E&P

You might want to investigate the "Flow-Rite-MP2010-Qwik-Fill-Battery-Kit" for two 12 volt batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161220_115745.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	9912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qwik Fill 2.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	9913  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
Kev

State: Florida
THOR #3918
I Second Jerry. Just put Qwick-Flo in my Windsport and was one of the best mods I have done.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Im cheap i drilled a hole in the top of a one gallon jug of Distilled water with a 4’ airline hose from my fish tank i tip it upside down and fill each hole til it tops off
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	10050

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
Wear a pair of gloves so your clothes or hands dont get acid on them accidentally. Get a couple of zip ties to temporilly tie each bunch of cables to each of the eyelets on the ends, so they won't get mixed up when you take them off ONE post at a time. With the cables off now on ONE battery, Pull out this battery and using a bristle brush, clean the compartment and cables. Use Baking soda and water to wash out area. Reinstall that battery, cut one zip tie and reattach the back cable to the post. Do the same thing to the other cable to the front post connection. Make sure each cable is tight to the clamps and spray the clamps with the anti corrosion spray. May have to spray the compartment with baking soda and water if it needs it. Oh yeah, if you have a camp stool, it comes in handy cause you'll be awhile doing this. If you have to add any water to the batteries, get distilled Water and do it while you have the batteries out. Have lots of room to do it here.
Oh yeah, learned something else. If you take off the plastic covers to the cables, you will see the positive cables are RED colored and the negative cables are BLACK colored. The cable lugs are all colored Red with end of plastic covers covered in black. Personally I think that taping the cable ends with Red and Green tape is a good idea too.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #13

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
Im cheap i drilled a hole in the top of a one gallon jug of Distilled water with a 4’ airline hose from my fish tank i tip it upside down and fill each hole til it tops off
Attachment 10050
LOL...whatever floats your boat my friend...if it works then I say right on!!!!!

Old 05-03-2018, 12:52 PM   #14

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
LOL...whatever floats your boat my friend...if it works then I say right on!!!!!

Kinda reminds me of those Saline bags they use in the hospitals. Matter of fact, it could work if you changed the contents.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
I also installed the Flow-Rite-MP2010-Qwik-Fill-Battery-Kit on our 2018 Hurricane 29M, and immediately found that the batteries took the better part of a gallon of distilled water.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #16

THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
I also installed the Flow-Rite-MP2010-Qwik-Fill-Battery-Kit on our 2018 Hurricane 29M, and immediately found that the batteries took the better part of a gallon of distilled water.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #17

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Lucky they still work. One of mine cracked and the other bulged. Replaced both of them and learned about the color of the cables underneath the plastic covers... And zip tying the cables as they are taken off. Oh yeah, THOR sent me a copy of the Battery compartment wiring diagram for future reference. Still got to cover the posts with the corrosion inhibitor though.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #18

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Think I would seriously investigat replacing the lead/acid with AGM's when the time comes....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:29 AM   #19

THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Think I would seriously investigat replacing the lead/acid with AGM's when the time comes....
That too. Oh yeah, I used an old 'radio flyer' toy wagon to move the batteries from truck to RV cause they were so heavy and those little Coleman stools? Just the right height for a work bench.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #20

State: Indiana
THOR #12800
How did you hook up the quick fill without disconnecting the battery cables?
I have a 29m Hurricane and looks impossible