Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1775
Battery Issue/ Need advice

One year old 27.1 Ace motorhome. Plugged into 30 amp service at my home. Had an issue with the house battery boiling over, had that battery replaced, when it showed it was not charging. Tested the battery while plugged in to 30 amp service and it is charging, and is charging while the motor is running. However, the battery that starts the motorhome will not stay charged. I took it to the Ford dealer and they replaced the starting battery. I drove it about 110 miles, came home plugged it in, and placed the switch to storage, and locked it up. 1 month later, the starting battery is dead. House battery is fully charged. Any idea what could be killing the starting battery, had to jump start it! ?

Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Is your radio (clock) still on when you put it into storage mode? In my Vegas, the engine computer and radio are still on when you put the coach in storage mode and they run down the starting battery. Solar trickle charger should prevent that from happening. Installing a cutoff switch for the radio also helps.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #3

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
yes, safe bet that your radio, or something is pulling a parasite load.

One of the first things I did when i bought mine was to order two cutoff switches and install them. When i store my unit, i disconnect both batteries completely. It's a tiny bit of a pain in the neck, but only takes a minute to store and a minute to put back into service.

I ordered these from amazon.com
BS200 Top Post Battery Master Disconnect Switch
just under a year so far..... and so far so good....
Old 04-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I have a disconnect switch for my house batteries which I located in the outside compartment to the right of the door - right next to the batteries. It was one I had in the battery bank in my boat and is an easy on-off turn switch for big loads. I have not installed a switch on my starting battery because I worry about shutting down the engine computer every time. I don't know the long term effects of turning the computer on and off and it having to relearn the engine settings every time when it may not be designed to do this. It is an expensive piece of equipment to replace.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

THOR #1775
Its at the Ford place in Orlando now and their suppose to check it out and call me this week. They say they've seen it be a capacitor in the unit side which they wont cover. Buying this thing was like adopting another child...
Old 05-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #6

THOR #1775
Turns out Ford said it was an issue behind the Radio, whatever that means, and to take it back to CW! instead I have installed an item called Priority Start to the battery that is suppose to only allow it to drain so far, and still crank it up. My fingers are crossed...