Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Battery question for Challenger owners

Has anyone added another 2 battery’s to there Challenger? It looks like there is room for 2 more?

KC

Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
KC,

I can't remember who but someone has added 2 additional 6 volt batteries to their Challenger with no issues.

I have thought about doing it but since I rarely boondock I believe the money would be better spent on other items.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:37 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
I've added 2 more matching batteries. It does help, now when running my refer on the inverter I can get a fully day with having to recharge. I strapped my batteries together for added peace of mind.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:44 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Just added 2 more. Cannot tell you how much longer they last but my calculations, I should gain about 6 hours at a minimum. No big deal to do. Added the batteries, jumped between the + (positive) and - (negative) with a starter wire to give me 12 volts off the new batteries. Then I went from the unused + side of the new batteries to older two batteries + side. Then went from the unused - side of the new batteries to the older two batteries. Done.

Just for good measure, I bought the AutoFill battery water system to easily and readily keep the battery electrolyte level topped off.

I used to Trojan 105 batteries.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #5

THOR #2538
bigben,

How's much longer are you getting with the additional batteries. I thought I would double my time, but found out that wasn't the case. I've improved about 5-6 more hours before I start getting low battery voltage warnings.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: New York
THOR #2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrver View Post
bigben,

How's much longer are you getting with the additional batteries. I thought I would double my time, but found out that wasn't the case. I've improved about 5-6 more hours before I start getting low battery voltage warnings.
So how long can you go till you have to recharge? I am thinking of buying a 2016 35HT. I do a lot of dry camping at State Campgrounds that only allow generators twice a day for 2 hours each time. I was hoping to get 24 hours using 4 batteries. Is this a pipe dream?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:37 AM   #7

THOR #1020
I still haven't had the time to run the unit until I get a warning. But - not sure how much you will be running on the batteries. My residential frig, TV, receiver, most lights run off the batteries. History tells me that with just a few lights on and the residential frig would easily last 8 hours. I am not sure the two hours on twice a day will recharge your batteries. The answer is, I would hope, that the 4 batteries should be sufficient to run the frig and lights as needed for at least 12 hours.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 PM   #8

THOR #1020
Just getting over the knee replacement surgery and I brought our Challenger back to the local area. Good news on the batteries. We left the motorhome with refrig, living room TV in standby, satellite receiver and some other sundry items powered up. Not sure how long it will last because after leaving it on for 22 hours it was still running. Voltage on the visible displayed showed 12.8 at 1400 hours, Nov 1, 2015. At 1130 today, 21 hours later, voltage read 11.7. So there you go.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #9

THOR #2538
Thumbs up

Big Ben,

Thanks for the info. Still rocking after 22 hours. I haven't tried to see how far I can go yet. But versus 6 hours, 20+ would be fantastic.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote