Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32
State: Indiana
THOR #785
Belt noise, or squeal when raining

2011 hurricane, Ford, V10, have had a squeal or high pitched noise when running in the rain, 50 to 65, goes for 60to 70 miles, even when parked, and start out in the rain, noise is there. Ford dealer has no answer, checked belt, etc.
anybody ever had this problem, and solved?

Old 04-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Might be an Idler pulley
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #1470
High pitch noise in rain

I have the same problem. 2012 Daybreak. High pitch squeal starts at 55 mph only in the rain. Starts and stops with the rain. Engine rpm does not affect tone of squeal. Just starting to investigate this problem. Please advise if you have solved the problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Could be a slipping belt, check for a loose belt.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
I would hit it with a can of "Belt Dressing" - essentially a can of silicone spray for noisy belts. This worked for me in my wife's Honda CR-V with the exact same symptoms!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

Model: 2012 Daybreak 28PD
THOR #556
I have a 2012 Daybreak that had a horrible high pitched noise when traveling over 55 mph. The solution was to remove the lower front grills.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #7

THOR #1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Neal View Post
I have a 2012 Daybreak that had a horrible high pitched noise when traveling over 55 mph. The solution was to remove the lower front grills.
Was your squeal rain related at <55 mph? Mine stops when I reduce speed to >55mph or the rain stops. No noise at less than 55mph or at parked idle. My lower grills on each side of the license plate seem to be tight. Any more detail on your solution is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #8

THOR #556
Rhwd,

Just hours after buying our motorhome I noticed a high pitch noise when driving over 55 mph. I contacted Thor's customer service and they were aware of the problem and suggested I remove the "honeycomb" style grill. I removed the top center grill and got no improvement so I put it back in. I then removed the two smaller grills on each side of the license plate and the noise disappeared. I never had a chance to test it in the rain. I doubt your noise has anything to do with the belts. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 PM   #9

THOR #1470
Here's the latest. Thor customer service claims they are not aware of the problem. I inspected the upper grill and found two of the mounting screws loose. On one of them, the grill lattice had sperated and the screw was holding air. Someone had also put rubberized caulk around the perimeter of the grill. Thor CS stated this rubber was not factory installed. Since one of the grill hold down tabs is destroyed, I am pricing a new grill from the local Thor dealer. However, I am going to remove the grill and run in the rain to make sure it's the problem. I'll keep you posted. Thanks Kenneth, I think you put me on the right track....
Old 02-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

THOR #556
Many of the customer service people are not very aware. It really depends on who you talk to. Some seem knowledgeable and other are clueless. I know what you mean about the rubberized caulk. When I reinstalled the my upper grill I didn't bother to recaulk and there are no ill effects. If removing the lower grill lattice solves the noise problem, then I wouldn't waste time and money buying new ones. It's a question of airflow through the lattice. I don't think it has much to do with faulty screws hold down tabs.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I would not doubt a dealer service center did some shoddy work either. I have not been very impressed with some of the warranty work done on my rig.

For example, anyone having those cheap clearance lights Thor puts on notice they leak? And the "accepted" practice is to goop the heck out of them with sealant. This is probably both done at Thor as well as the dealer. Afterall, it is cheaper to do a shoddy goop job than to actually fix the problem.

Also when I did the PDI for my coach (even though it was used -2yr old), the service tech pointed out where the furnace hatch was, and made the statement that I should never need to open it.

A couple of months later, I was installing some vent screens as we sometimes have a wasp problem, and opened the furnace hatch.

I now know why the service tech didn't want me poking around in there. Someone - either Thor or the service dep't over-torqued all of the mounting screws on the furnace and busted up the plastic mounting frame in at least a dozen places.

While the service dep't may or may not have done it, they certainly were adamant about me not looking inside of the furnace.

I also saw what looked like the furnace may have been serviced at some point, as even the shroud around the fan was busted - which should only have occurred if the fan motor had been replaced at some point.

While some of this may be the service dep't, some may be the manufacturer, but it sure makes me cynical about the entire RV industry.

Bottom line... you are going to have to do a lot of stuff yourself if you want to have a fully functional RV.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 32
State: Indiana
THOR #785
Put tape strips on gril, helped break the air, helped on the noises.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
I would never use belt dressing. just covers up the problem, thats just me.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #14

THOR #1226
My 2115 Hurricane has a high pitch noise that starts at 40 mph. Its not the belts but a whistle from air flow. I'm going to use my leaf blower to find where the noise is coming from. Windshield or the grill might be the problem.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
Old 02-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
OK, stupid question. Do you have a cold air intake system, K&N type? that replaces the stock air box, they make a high pitch sound when driving.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #16

THOR #1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejackie View Post
My 2115 Hurricane has a high pitch noise that starts at 40 mph. Its not the belts but a whistle from air flow. I'm going to use my leaf blower to find where the noise is coming from. Windshield or the grill might be the problem.
After I posted this I called Thor's Customer Help about the problem. They said that the front cap may not be properly sealed and the dealer's service department should find and solve the problem. Taking in next week and we will see how it goes.

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow

Tags
belt noise in rain?